Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bridge Pins  (Read 3507 times)

Offline avsalesman

• View Profile
Bridge Pins
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:56:20 PM »
Hi all,
I am interested to hear what type of bridge pin upgrades you have done to your D series guitars. Bone, Tusq, Enony, etc; what worked, was their a perceptible and audible improvement, how? Also is there a certain size needed for the D series? or are all bridge pins gonna fit OK?

Thanks.
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky - Hendrix.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge Pins
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 11:56:33 PM »
I have 5 D10"s , all different.  I put on Taylor  Ebony & Abalone.  Not much sound difference, but they look nice.  Tom..   :)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:42:39 AM »
Hi all,
I am interested to hear what type of bridge pin upgrades you have done to your D series guitars. Bone, Tusq, Enony, etc; what worked, was their a perceptible and audible improvement, how? Also is there a certain size needed for the D series? or are all bridge pins gonna fit OK?

Thanks.

There are many different sizes and tapers not only between manufacturers, but within some manufacturer's line, too.  Unfortunately, Washburn is one of those brands, so, no not all Washie bridge pins will fit all Washies.  You might well need to provide some rather precise measurements, as well as chose from skirted or non-skirted, slotted or not.

As for materials, it's natural for us to want to really hammer the bridge pins home, and therein lies the problem.  Bridges are routinely made of wood, and dense woods at that so that they will withstand the pressure of the strings and transmit the vibration effectively to the sounboard.  Dense wood is just that....hard, so if you choose a pin material that is harder than the wood the bridge is made of, well, you get the idea, it leads to a split bridge once you put the pins in too hard.  Many of us would prefer wooden pins for our guitars, a lot like ebony but probably even more like rosewood.

Almost all of my guitars have been mod'ed with either bone or West African Hard Ivory.  I try to match the material the nut, saddle, bridge pins, neck button and the endpin are made of, but I have found that the WAHI is VERY expensive when you start buying larger parts like nuts and endpins, and you can't tell it visually from the WAHI.  My WD32SW is WAHI for the nut and saddle, bone for the bridge pins, neck button and endpin, you can't tell the difference.

If you like a little bling, you can get pins with abalone dots, maybe even mother-of-pearl.

Other materials are available, too....fossilized walrus tusks, buffalo horn that sort of thing.  Here's a website where you can read all about bridge pins, as well as other upgrades.  Bob is a stand up guy who is quick to ship out his products, I had him ship an entire grupo of WAHI to Breedlove when they made my custom shop piece, the sound is incredible!

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

Be sure to read down to the end of this page for the info on sizes, measurements, that sort of thing:

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp

Oh, one other thing....if you decide on WAHI, it is important to understand that although Bob's products are legal in the USA and come with a certificate that states so, it may not be legal in other countries.  Bob cautions against taking any guitar with any of his WAHI products outside of the USA, there could be real issues at the customs counter in other countries, guitars have even been siezed  :'(.

Hope this helps.

Cheers from Dugly  8)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 03:59:55 PM »
I can't speak to D10's, but I have tried various bridge pins in a wide assortment of acoustic guitars.  Bottom line is I cannot tell any sonic difference between any of the different pin materials in any of the guitars.  Does this mean that you will not be able to notice any sonic difference, absolutely not.

FWIW in the big three of acoustic guitar upgrades; saddle, nut and bridge pins, my experience is an upgrade to the saddle will reward you with the most improvement.  The nut is second, as it really comes into play only on the open strings and bridge pins last.

I still swap pins around but just for the visuals. 

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »
FWIW in the big three of acoustic guitar upgrades; saddle, nut and bridge pins, my experience is an upgrade to the saddle will reward you with the most improvement.  The nut is second, as it really comes into play only on the open strings and bridge pins last.

Yup!!!  Pins are for looks, or proper fit on some individual mass produced guitars that just didn't come from the factory with the pins fitting right.
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa