Username: Password:

Author Topic: monterey custom  (Read 4315 times)

Offline jamesv

• View Profile
monterey custom
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »
I feel I'm getting closer in my quest to find out the age and identity of my Monterey.

I emailed the auction house to find out if they knew more, this is what I got back...

It appears that the guitar may be a rarity as few seem to appear on the market. All I know is that the body is crafted from a Brazilian rosewood laminate on the top, sides and back. It has a bound fretboard and an abalone rosette

I'm pretty sure it's 79-87 because it is pre-EQ300, the serial number is 92274 - could it be '79?
I know the early ones didn't have the  EA44 designation, mine seems to be from that period - I don't know if they were known as festivals back then.

I can't find anything in the old washburn catalogues that sound like it but they only go back as far as '88
I did find this though from 1984 with an Identical rosewood studio version
Which came first though, the custom or the studio?

Offline jamesv

• View Profile
Re: monterey custom
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »
When I say identical, the studio pictured has 3 knobs (or 2 knobs and a slider) mine just has bass/tone and gain.

It's pretty badly scratched on the back (thankfully not down to the wood) but otherwise in excellent condition.

Offline wiwa50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 06:22:48 AM »
Hello jamesv, I'm a new member since yesterday and I'm interested in the monterey studio version. Since last october I'm very sad - my car has been opened and my 1983-Washburn Monterey Studio has gone - It had the three possibilities to change. Now I'm searching and trying to find another Monterey studio 1983. The one I had was with me for nearly 30 years on stage all over the world and I miss this instrument very much. Does somebody know, how and where I could find it ? I'm also interested in a monterey 12-string - if ever ... Sorry, about my bad english - but I'm Swiss !
Kind regards, Wiwa50

Offline strumpitt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:40:58 AM »
Hi James V

New this forum but have had a very similar Monterey Custom since the mid 80's. Bought it from a mate who had had it a few years.
Serial 92763 ( can't work out what the first symbol is).
Just got it back this morning from a bit of pickup work and a setup.
Still sounds sweet both acoustically and plugged in.

http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii637/Strumpitt/

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:19:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Beautiful Monterey.  Lets put up a pic and make things a bit easier to see.

The grain on the back side is great.  Thanks for sharing the pics.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
WOW, now that is a looker.  Tom.   :)  I love how that grain looks like a coke bottle.

Offline Gitguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
jamesv, are you sure that is the serial number on one of the cross braces?  it certainly IS a number BUT if you look very closely (maybe use a flashlight) at the neckblock on the inside of the guitar you may see a different 4 or 5 digit number.

Offline strumpitt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:57:13 AM »
 Strumpitt here
Thanks for the welcome guys! and thanks for posting the pics.

I have had a good look for other numbers but the ones in the pics ore the only markings I can find.

This definitely date from the early 80's some time.

Offline strumpitt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:18:01 AM »
Hang on Gitguy you are absolutely right!
Found a number on the neck block
Looks like something indistinguisable  18065.
Does that make it a 1980 model?

Strumpitt