Username: Password:

Author Topic: I Think I Have Fallen in Love With Another Guitar  (Read 5654 times)

Offline Lafayette2010

• View Profile
I Think I Have Fallen in Love With Another Guitar
« on: June 28, 2012, 01:47:47 AM »
On youtube I check out the different guitars. 

A few weeks ago one parlor guitar caught my ear and is still holding my ear and imagination.  The guy on the video believes the parlor was made between 1895 and 1910.  The parlor is a Lyons and Healy Marquette and in some fashion is connected to Washburn.

What intrigues about it is not that is old and beat-up (in fact, that doesn't bother me), but that it has nylon strings and sounds slightly twangy.  I am not a classical guitarist, so this guitar is up and down my alley.  I always imagine a guitar with the easier playability of nylon, but with the sound of steel, however I thought and was told there was no such guitar.  Now, I know differently.  ::)

Not that I can afford it, but how many thousands of dollars do you guys think it would cost?  Are there still any Lyons and Healy Marquettes out there?  If so, where can I find them?  Why doesn't make Washburn make them?   :) :) :)

Lafayette
I am not as smart as I think I am, but I am not as dumb as you think I am.  But, I do make a lot of typos.

ship of fools

Re: I Think I Have Fallen in Love With Another Guitar
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:22:12 AM »
Yep they are out there and run a whole slough of prices from the lows of around $650.00 to high of $2800.00 depending on condition always and they are part of the Washburns beginnings and were actually strung with steel strings originally. And also they had two models of the Marquette one with a metal tail piece ( model 36 3/4 ) and the other without ( model 36 ) a tail piece. Lots of folks now string them with gut strings as to help with the lack of truss rod and thus reducing any stress on the neck. Good luck trying to find one they are getting harder to come across these days but I am sure they are still some out there, just harder to get folks to part with them. Ship..............last one I saw was so split on the top that they were more cleats then top and he wanted over $1400.00 Canadian  for his over 5 years ago and he did not know anything about it.

Offline WEBgUy

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.usmusiccorp.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:39:36 AM »
The Washburn name comes from George Washburn Lyon, the Lyon in Lyon & Healy. They started making Washburn guitars in 1883. We still sell Parlors and perhaps one of these is similar to what you saw.
http://www.washburn.com/products/acoustics/vintage/

Offline Lafayette2010

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 03:55:55 PM »
Thanks for the link.

What you showed me is fancier than the one in the video.

Can you put nylon strings on them?

Do you have any sound clips?

Lafayette
I am not as smart as I think I am, but I am not as dumb as you think I am.  But, I do make a lot of typos.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »
Lafayette

The machine heads will certainly support the increased diameter of the trebbles, where you are likely to encounter some problems would be the nut slots.  If you plan on putting classical strings on it, I'd have a luthier handle the task...might involve nut files and tweaks to the truss rod, stuff most of us leave up to the pros.

I can attest to what you are trying to accomplish...my Breedlove 000 is the largest of the parlor guitars, has great voicing and is made to be used with steel strings.  I have never tried classical strings, what I wanted was as close to a steel-stringed classical guitar as I could get, did it with the Breedlove....slot-headed, 12-fret free body, a bit of a shock as far as price is concerned, but the axe is breaking in nicely.

Nothing....nothing that I own, anyway....sounds as good as the Hippner Hauser.  If you want classical guitar sound with a twang, have darren spin you up one with a master-grade redwood soundboard...your choice of secondary woods, too. The redwood has all the definition of cedar, which makes it great for fingerstyle, but it will withstand the rigors of use with a pick without breaking up like cedar does when played vigorously...not that I would play a classical with a pick, my Breedlove also has a master-grade redwood soundboard  :) .

My only question might be....are you sure a "hybrid" would do what you want? Obviously, lots of people string the old parlors with classical strings to reduce stress on the old instrument, but it might be a case like bicycles...there is no hybrid bike that will do what a mountain bike and a road bike each do so well....it's a bit of specialization that IMHO adds that "...spice of life".

If you just must have a piece of Washburn history, though (and, wouldn't we all love to own one???), the Marquette sounds like a great place to start!

Cheers from Dugly  8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:17:56 AM »
There's an old Washburn Parlor guitar in the Classifieds at TDPRI website. Not nylon string though.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 08:32:32 AM »
Between the late 1800's and about 1930 or so Lyon and Healy, along with a bunch of other manufacturers, was part of a golden era of guitar making in Chicago.  Stella, Harmony, Regal, Washburn, Lyon and Healy, Tonk Brothers are just a few of the better known names.  Most of the guitars made were parlor size, entry level/student instruments, but all the brands had some high end models.  Between the various companies thousands of guitars were made.  The differences between the various manufacturers was mostly cosmetic.  So a ladder braced, spruce and mahogany plain jane parlor from Stella, Harmony, L and H, etc. tend to be very similar in construction.

From your various posts it seems you are trying to find a nylon string guitar that has the oopmh and twang of a steel string.  FWIW if you have not played a steel strung parlor you might want to do so.  Due to the short scale the steel strings have less tension than a conventional modern 6 string.  So, they require a lot less work to fret.

Here are a few pics of my 1920's vintage Washburn/L&H parlor.  It's what's called a style G.  The low end of the A-G scale L&H/Washburn used at the time.  The guitar is branded both Lyon and Healy and Washburn. 

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 11:20:28 AM »
L&H instruments sometimes how up in pawnshops priced under $500 in half-decent shape because it's not seen as a "big name." But with an older instrument, you never know what's been done to 'em until you get under the hood. Many midcentury or older gut-string guitars were modded to steel strings; sometimes the bridge was replaced &/or replated, & on fullsize instruments there may have been bracing changes, or none & so there's various top warps & lifts. I once played an 1890s Washburn that'd been lovingly changed over to steels, & it was GREAT.

As evenkeel says, you should certainly take a modern steel-string parlour for a run. The shorter scale gives a little softness to the strings, & I find the size to have a distinctive tone.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline WEBgUy

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.usmusiccorp.com
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:21:53 AM »
Thanks for the link.

What you showed me is fancier than the one in the video.

Do you have any sound clips?

Lafayette

FYI, you might have missed some of the less ornate models, R314, R315, R319. You can access them from the Vintage Series graphic at the top.

Offline petrucci

• View Profile
    • http://www.gitara1.com
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 12:53:09 AM »
hehe! :
www.gitara1.com free guitar videos, lessons and tutorials

Offline gregjones

• Perpetual Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »
There is always the Martin "NY" or New Yorker.
If it's got tuners, tits, or tires----it's gonna cost you.

"There are no wrong notes, only advanced harmonies." - Frank Zappa

Offline Junior88

• The young gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 09:14:33 PM »
I own the guitar you speak of.. Not a Washie, actually made in Spain in 1964 and my grandpa gave it to me.. Twangy, but nylon, an easy to play.

Beat to hell, but sounds saweeeeet.

(I will take good photos of the guitar tomorrow or the next day)

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:42:30 AM »
Why don't you look at some of the classical crossovers? They're nylon string, and don't have a flat fingerboard. I think they also have a narrower nut width.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »
Why don't you look at some of the classical crossovers? They're nylon string, and don't have a flat fingerboard. I think they also have a narrower nut width.

I have noticed that some of the custom shops and private luthiers are offering not only radiused fingerboards for classical guitars, but also truss rods.

In some cases the truss rod is not adjustable, just a carbon fibre rod set into the neck....lots of options out there.

I suppose a private luthier would build you a classical guitar with an adjustable truss rod so it could be fitted with steel strings. After all, almost anything is possible with a custom build.  I wanted a steel string guitar that would be as close to a classical guitar as possible, so I had my Breedlove Revival 000 custom piece made with a 1 7/8" nut...it is a slot-headed 12 fretter and it is amazing how often people ask if it is a classical guitar fitted with steel strings  :D

Here is a photo of my Hippner Hauser classical next to my Breedlove 000...pretty close, eh?  BTW, just in case you're curious, both have master grade redwood soundboards, that's why they look dark:

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:03:45 AM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC