Username: Password:

Author Topic: Arranging for multiple acoustics  (Read 2152 times)

Offline kewltunes

• View Profile
Arranging for multiple acoustics
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. I have two friends that I play with, and we all play acoustics. That being said, I've been trying to find out methods of arranging for 3 guitars and I haven't had much luck.  :( My friends and I aren't professionals but we do write some of our own material.  I'd say we are all at least intermediate guitarists with some knowledge of theory.

Can anyone advise me on this art? Either by providing links to some source material or by imparting some of your own experiences and ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kewtunes
Kewltunes & My Close Personal Friends,
Washburn EA20
Washburn EA20-12
Washburn EA18
Washburn W200
Washburn X10
Ovation CSD225 {double neck 6+12 a/e}
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE FESTIVAL GUILD

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: Arranging for multiple acoustics
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:59:16 PM »
First thing I would suggest is to listen to some of the professionals who use multiple acoustic guitars.  Jim Croce for example played with a guy named  Maury Muehleisen who added a tremendous bit to Croces signature sound.  Listen to how CSNY layer multiple acoustics.  Listen to how Andy Fairweather Low works with Clapton on his acoustic  stuff.

Typically one acoustic guitar will be the rhythm with a second adding a lead element.  If you have a third guitar you'll need to think about what that third element will bring to the party.  If it's just another chordal element that's ok, it will add a bit of depth, but not much else.  Consider having one guitar play the song in the key of D for example.  The second plays in the same key obviously, but uses a capo on the second fret and playes the chords using "C" shapes.  This adds some sonic complexity.  Then a third guitar for some lead bits.

Or better yet, maybe you can convince one of your friends to play Bass. ;) ;)

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:47:32 PM »
See: http://www.venturahighway.com/
Study America (Gerry Beckley, Dewey Bunnell, Dan Peek.)
Multiple acoustics arranged & layered to near perfection.

Offline kewltunes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:19:17 AM »
I'm a big fan of Jim Croce's guitar interlacing (one of my favorites), also of America, the Eagles and CSN&Y....but the problem I have with that is I can hear that they've interlaced the guitars but I can only hear the combined total, I can't get a clear idea of what they are having each guitar do. I'm looking more for the mechanics or specifics of how one would arrange with 3 guitars. I know tons of examples that I listen to, but I can't 'decode' them very well. I try to have each of us do a separate part but I feel like I don't know what I'm doing very well. One of our players can and does play lots of lead parts, the other is basically a chorder, while I can play a wide range of chords and alternates along with fingerstyle pattern picking, but we seem to double up or muddy more than I care for. Can anyone offer help finding something written or examples tabbed out that explain the process better? Thanks in advance and for the two replies.
Washburn EA20
Washburn EA20-12
Washburn EA18
Washburn W200
Washburn X10
ANOTHER PROUD MEMBER OF THE FESTIVAL GUILD

Offline Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:59:34 AM »
Go to a music store (or find online) the sheet book for, say, America and you will find individual notation lines for "guitar 1", "guitar 2", and "guitar 3".

Offline kewltunes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:07:56 AM »
Thanks Rocket, I'll look into that.
Washburn EA20
Washburn EA20-12
Washburn EA18
Washburn W200
Washburn X10