Username: Password:

Author Topic: What is the deal with Nylon Rovers?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
What is the deal with Nylon Rovers?
« on: July 08, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »
What is the deal with Nylon Rover (RO20) guitars?  Are they discontinued?

I just picked one up from Adirondack Guitar for a hiking trip in August.  Reasonably priced, and plays well!  My serial no. is SC11041910, which, by standard reckoning would be made in 2011.  Perhaps it's November, 2004?  Anyone know which is correct?

Anyway, I've got one now...will post pics shortly....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:49:35 PM by mcloud10 »
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: What is the deal with Nylon Rovers?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
2011.   I would like to have either one, but can not find a new one under warranty,  in person I can see first.  Tom.   :)

ship of fools

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »
Never tried a nylon Rover, I still have my steel string Rover that I recieved from forum members here. And I think its probably one of the best little guitars ever built for a 24" scale guitar and plays a hell of a lot better then any baby Taylor and Martin boat paddle guitar. Its quiet enough for hotels and yet loud enough so you can keep hearing what you are playing and keeps those finger tips going while one is away from home and it sure travels well. Its been to the US so many times and Alaska and Mexico and across the great white Canadian lands from here to Newfoundland and will be going back to the US Arizona soon.ship

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »
Never tried a nylon Rover, I still have my steel string Rover that I recieved from forum members here. And I think its probably one of the best little guitars ever built for a 24" scale guitar and plays a hell of a lot better then any baby Taylor and Martin boat paddle guitar. Its quiet enough for hotels and yet loud enough so you can keep hearing what you are playing and keeps those finger tips going while one is away from home and it sure travels well. Its been to the US so many times and Alaska and Mexico and across the great white Canadian lands from here to Newfoundland and will be going back to the US Arizona soon.ship

I couldn't bear the thought of going to Colorado for a week and not playing guitar!  This baby's going on my backpack. :)  Besides, I've heard that the Rover sounds much better than the Martin Backpacker, too.

The Rover's neck is a bit thinner than a "standard" classical guitar, yet comparable to other widths of some Cordoba's; the C5CE for example (the Rover is about 1 29/32").
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 01:07:06 AM »
I have played both. The Martin Backpacker, is odd shaped, and hard to hold, but sounds great. The Rover steel string sounds good, but has its own problems to me.this is like the three bears, the LX1 was just rite for me.  LOL.  If I come across a Rover at one of the local Washburn dealers, and its not like the few year old one I played, it will come home with me.  Tom.   :) :)