Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn D46SCE how does it play?  (Read 11752 times)

Offline tomana

• View Profile
Washburn D46SCE how does it play?
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Hi,

I'm a noobie at Washburn forums and it looks to be a nice place here.

I just bought a 1999 D46SCE on ebay and should arrive next week. I've never played this model and so I was wondering ...

- where can I get detailed specs for this year/model ?
- what other make/model would you say feels the closest to play on (action height, neck width, overall feel of holding and playing, etc)?
- Is there anything specific to this model and time period that I should know of, good or not so good ?
- The fretboard has a bit of gunk on it, standard buildup; what's the best way to remove it ?
- Does Washburn recommend oiling the fretboard and if so, what type and brand ?

Thanks for any replies { 8^ D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:52:17 PM by tomana »

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Washburn D46SCE how does it play?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum, tomana!

I did a search for D46SCE and came up with a boatload of threads, but as I reviewed them I thought this one might give you some of the information you seek:

http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,19715.msg129892/topicseen.html#msg129892

The information at the top of the thread refers to the model about which you asked...I notice the photos are gone (the thread was posted by a dealer), but it does give some of the specs you mentioned.

Value might be a subjective issue...hopefully Evenkeel or Pike will come along with some info from the blue-book.

As for which other models it might play like...I sure wouldn't know because I have never played one, but if my WD32S (a lower level model that the D46SW, not a CE model) was any indication, I think you'll like it...sure wish I had mine back  :'(

Also try this link.  It looks promising...you search for info based on the date of manufacture, which is usually the first two digits of the serial number:

http://www.washburn.com/about/

[EDIT: here's a direct link to the 1999 models...your D46SCE is in the "Dread, Acoustic/Electric"  section.]

http://www.washburn.com/about/archives/1999.pdf

Stay tuned...others will probably be along soon to answer your questions regarding cleaning and oiling.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:05:32 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Darren Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline tomana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:32:17 AM »
thank you, and for those links too, they are helpful for sure

I came across a write-up here at the forum http://forums.washburn.com/index.php?topic=20400.0
and they listed the following. The body back and sides also came in quilted rather than rosewood
but I do not know if this is year specific or not.

Top : One piece Alaskan spruce
Body - sides - head stock veneer : Madagascar rosewood
Neck : 5 piece ( last piece to be counted on it is the rosewood head stock ) mahogany
Bridge: Madagascar rosewood
Fretboard: Madagascar rosewood

Read a review for a 2000 model, said the back and sides are laminate. The official specs do not specify.
The one I bought is 1999 and may differ so I still need detailed specs

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:22:29 AM »
thank you, and for those links too, they are helpful for sure

Read a review for a 2000 model, said the back and sides are laminate. The official specs do not specify.
The one I bought is 1999 and may differ so I still need detailed specs

The back and sides on yours are laminate...Washburn uses a designation pattern on the model designation for their guitars that gives that information.  Here is what yours is:

D=dreadnought body style
46=model designation
S=solid wood soundboard (top)
CE=cutaway body style, electric pickup

If your guitar had sold wood sides and back, the "S" in the model designation would be "SW", instead.  Believe me, all solid wood construction is a BIG deal and Washburn is not going to let it go un-noticed, so that practice is, with at least one exception, consistent.  The exception (and there may be more) is the D10S model made with laminate walnut sides and back...Washburn does at times use letters to designate tonewood selection, so a D10S with walnut sides and back would carry a D10SW designation...a bit deceptive, IMHO.  Other tonewood designations don't always use the first letter of the name of the wood...quilted bubinga carries a "Q" in the model designation.  Sometimes the letters indicacte color, too..."B" might seem to be an indication of bubinga, but most often it is simply a designation that the guitar is black.  There is also an all laminate D46 model that is made of spalted maple, that model is D46SP...does not carry a solid wood top as you would suspect, the "SP" stands for "Spalted" in that case.  Ya gotta know the code and sometimes it is confusing, I admit.

For example, I had a WD32S and still have a WD32SW...the first had laminate sides and back, the second has solid wood sides and back.  If you will look through the soundhole and check out the sides, a guitar with solid wood sides will have braces along the insides of the sides going from the back to the top, a guitar with laminate sides and back will not.

Don't be fooled by matching grain inside the body and outside the body, the manufacturers of the laminate materials are very good at matching grains...veneers are cut very thin, so getting matching grain patterns is not a problem, and both sides of the laminate are veneers.

Don't worry about the sides and back being laminate...while it may be true that an all solid wood guitar might open up as it ages better than one with laminate sides and backs, the vast majority of the tonal improvement as the wood ages comes from the soundboard and yours does have a solid wood soundboard.  All solid wood guitars carry a requirement for increased care, as the wood has to be kept humidified or you run the risk of cracks....while most of my guits are all solid wood, I have now started buying models with  laminate sides and backs again, as I don't want to run the risk of developing cracks as I transport the all solid wood models around. The laminate models now travel with me, instead.

You'll love your Washie...one bit of advice, once you recieve it, take it to a shop or luthier and have a "set-up" done on it.  That will ensure that the neck is straight and that the relief and string height are at the optimum level.  It will run between $30 and $50, well worth it...while you are at it, have the luthier replace the plastic saddle with a bone one, you will be amazed at the difference in sound.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Darren Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »
Y.D. if I ever see a D46SP at a store, I am bying it, unless it has a crazy price tag. I love the look of that grain patteren.  Tom.   :)

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
Y.D. if I ever see a D46SP at a store, I am bying it, unless it has a crazy price tag. I love the look of that grain patteren.  Tom.   :)

Me, too, Tom....I saw a spalted mango classical guitar once, it was the same sort of pattern.  The "spalted"  pattern is caused by a fungus (I think), but it doesn't seem to affect the strength of the wood.

Be aware the D46SP is an ALL laminate guitar...although I love the look, too, I just couldn't turn loose of that much $$ for an all lam guitar.

Have you seen (and heard) this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDFYbjZPTj8

It sounds very good through the electronics....but what you get on the day you buy it is what you get for the rest of the life of the guitar...no tonal improvement with age.

IIRC the MSRP was in the $750 range....but at my age there is no more storage room in the ol' mainframe's memory function, and I've slept since then, too, so..... :-X

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
Welcome to forum land.  Here is a bit of info.  Data I have says manufacturing beganin 2000.  When you get your guitar let us know what the serial # is.  My data could well be off.
D46 S SOUTHWEST - dreadnought style, Alaskan close grained spruce top, Macasssar rosewood back and sides, rosewood fingerboard, offset position markers, bound top, 3-per-side tuners, available in Natural finish, mfg. 2000-present.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
MSR $800 $480 $300 - 350 $175 - 225

D46 S CE Southwest - similar to the D46 S, except has a single cutaway and Equis Plus electronics, mfg. 2000-present.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
MSR $950 $570 $375 - 450 $225 - 275

Re: removing any build upon the fretboard.  Any brand name fret board cleaner will work fine.  Naptha, a'ka ligher fluid is also used.  After cleaning a bit of fretboard oil would probably be a good idea.  Again any brand name product will work fine.  I use mineral oil.  No additives and best of all cheap.  You can by a lifetime supply at your local pharmacy for a dollar or two.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »
evenkeel -- your info might be a little old. I don't think the lone "D" prefix has been used for a few years, & it appears the Southwest line went the way of the dodo, so I doubt any of 'em are available in the "present." ;D

I've got the D46CESPK. It's one of the QUIETEST dreads I've ever played, even moreso than my $99 all-plywood kick-around guitar. As such, I use it more like a "semi-acoustic" electric than an "acoustic-electric" -- makes a pretty good jazzbox, btw.  8)

Specs vary. Mine has the B-Band electronics but I've heard there were 2-3 other systems, completely different.

For fretboards, I just got a little bottle of lemon oil from the local violin shop for $5. Hey, if it's good enough for their $5,000 instruments, who am I to argue?? Put a small drop between the frets, rub it on with a clean cotton cloth, dab away any excess. Feeds the wood to reduce damage AND makes it really easy to keep clean!!

If I found a spruce-top cutaway D46, even a bit beat-up, for less than $350 (with original case, mind!!), I'd pounce on it. A little curious how much louder it'd be than the spalt, but there's just something about a Washie dread that feels right to me -- no science to back it up, but I bet I could identify a Washburn blindfolded just by the balance.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 12:41:02 AM »
When I get one someday, it will have to be like this, or a used one in store prefered.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/WASHBURN-D46SP-SPALTED-MAPLE-6-STRING-DREADNOUGHT-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-BLEM-ZZ11-/390448592908?pt=Guitar&hash=item5ae88cb80c      Tom.   :) :)   p.s. sorry tomana for getting off subject.  :) :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:42:55 AM by t.y. »

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »
evenkeel -- your info might be a little old. I don't think the lone "D" prefix has been used for a few years, & it appears the Southwest line went the way of the dodo, so I doubt any of 'em are available in the "present."

You are correct.  Please understand the data base I have was published a few years ago.  I took the time to download it and have updated over the years as things have changed.  I do not claim that it is 100%.  If you have specific info re: changes to a model, let me know I'll update the info I have.

Offline mickwin

• View Profile
D62SW   Prairie song 1979
D61SW 1992
D15M 1990
WD10K Augusta series 2006
D10 S
D12CE/N 1987
Falcon 1979 (yamaki)
Jumbo 94 model unknown

Offline Hurricane Ramon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 03:27:30 AM »
just spotted one for sale with quilted ash back and sides, looks nice!
http://www.adverts.ie/acoustic-guitars/washburn-southwest-series-d46sce-electro-acoustic-guitar-for-sale/12070521?utm_source=email&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=SearchAlert
8)
Hello Mick :

It's a nice guitar , this one is ash body & sides .

Wish  it was on this side of the pond :-[

This was posted above , it's my guitar :) http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,20400.0.html

Still playing quite well , it's a beauty . It's sound is still  terrific - Nothing but compliments on it's looks and sound .

EZ :

HR

Hurricane Ramon

It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me