Username: Password:

Author Topic: J28 Cumberland fretwiresize?  (Read 5882 times)

Offline kev

• View Profile
J28 Cumberland fretwiresize?
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Hi there, my first post here!

I bought a second hand J28 jumbo a couple of years back when starting out learning, and it's a wicked sounding guitar, twas an ebay purchase and being new at the time I didn't pay much attention to the frets. The action was too high but after a truss rod tweak and 1mm or so removed from the rosewood bridge played ok.

So, the frets have worn a groove down on the b string, and another on the high e and I've removed all 20 frets today( first 10 showed wear, first 6 badly), so far so good, the fingerboard isn't damaged :P but.... It's my first fret job!

what size are the frets suposed to be? What would Washburn have used when the guitar was made? I did e mail Washburn but couldn't find this out! I pulled the lot out because I don't think I'll get an exact match, and can probably find  some that will "do" but really want this right! I'm planning to use a new Graphtech nut and saddle and pins while I'm at it but....

I'm lucky enough to have a small workshop and the abillity to make tools (I'm a toolmaker) so am confident in my abillity to make the job right, but feel I'm lacking knowledge in what wire to use!

Apologies for the long windedness of the post but any advice is welcome!

cheers Kev

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: J28 Cumberland fretwiresize?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
welcome. If you have to take your old fret wire to a store and get it matched.   Tom.  :) :)

Offline kev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 02:52:31 AM »
Hi Tom, thanks for your reply! The town that I live in doesn't have any stores selling the wire, we have 4 music shops that sell guitars and accessories, but not repair parts I'm afraid, I had planned to use the internet to get some!

Tis a good Idea tho. and I do have the big City of Leeds not too many miles away.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:30:21 AM »
Fretwire comes in many sizes, different widths, heights, etc..  What you need to do is measure what you have, then look thru the following website.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Stewart-MacDonald_Fretwire/Medium_Fretwire.html

You probably want to get something slightly taller so when you do the final level, dress and crown you have some meat to work with.  Also at  the Stewmac website is a good book for do it yourself guitar work.  Dan Erlewines "Guitar Player Repair Guide".  If you do not have it, it's a very good investment.

Offline kev

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:28:51 PM »
Cheers for that! I'm getting there!

Another question (I'm good at questions btw) I'm looking at the Graphtech website at saddles and nuts, measuring my saddle I'm getting 2.928" rounding up to 2 15/16 long, .110" wide which I suppose would sand from an 1/8 and .242" high which obviously will come from a 1/4.

Has anyone fitted a Tusq saddle and could quote me a part number? i'd be gratefull!

Edit, also the nut! could anyone suggest a part number they used for this too?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:12:41 PM by kev »

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:57:37 PM »
I've done lots of saddles.  Very easy.  Just get one slightly taller and wider than what you currently have and sand to fit.

Here is a good saddle tutorial.
http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/MakeNewSaddle/newsaddle01.html

Nuts are a lot trickier.  Even if you find one precut that is a close match in overall width and has the correct string spacing to get the action at the nut correct is tricky.  You need special files and some experience.  I'd not suggest you get that experience with a nice Cumberland Jumbo
http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/Nuts/nuts1.html.

Also upgrading to a new bone, Tusq or Micarta saddle will pay sonic dividends.  The nut not so much.  The nut only comes into play tone wise on open strings. 

Offline kev

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 04:08:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply! The thing with the nut was I'd planned to get a preslotted one, carefull sanding for the action ive done before (I'm a better mechanic than i am a player and have sorted a few mates high actions out before) I was hoping to find a standard nut to suit, expecting to lower to suit by sanding the base but the nearest i can find is too narrow so would show a groove at the headstock side!

Remember she's currently fretless ;D

I'd hoped someone had done this before me so I could get some part numbers to work from!

no worries, I can see a couple of nut makers (bone) in the uk on that auction site, so may ask them for a nut same lenth width,nut space and slot depth but a bit higher for me to set he action from.

I'll be back ;)

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 06:56:49 AM »
If you are going to use a nut that is close, where all you plan to do is sand the bottom, the slots need to have the same radius as the fingerboard and saddle. Probably best to just have one made if you don't want to buy a set of nut files. Nut files are used so the string slot will have a round bottom, as does your strings.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 07:05:07 AM »
Another point to remember is if the nut has a slight radius then you cannot just flat sand the bottom to lower action.  Then if the nut has a flat bottom and you want to lower action you have to assume that each string needs to be lowered the exact same amount.  Doubtful that would happen.

Offline kev

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 03:12:46 PM »
Thanks folks for the advice! I've sent my saddle and nut to a fella on the online auction site, along with a couple of my frets as he also suplies Jescar fretwire, so he's going to copy the parts and leave me just a few thou  on the base, I feel I have to do this, as if the frets stand 5 though higher they'll buzz (i'd think). I've been busy copying a Stew mac press tool, a fret wire bender and a 320mm radius gauge, hopefully I'll be done by the end of the week ready for the parts to arrive, I'll post back when i get going with it!

Offline kev

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 05:51:57 PM »
Hi again, so the guitar is now refretted and a new nut and saddle installed, 118 out of 120 notes are good, but I seem to have a rattle on the 10th fret on the d and g strings,  thats fretting on the 9th, it rattles on the 10th! grrrrrr :-[

So, i've left it a few of days to settle, as I slackened the truss rod right off when I removed the strings last week, dunno why I did that as I usually leave the rod be be if I take strings off, Ive put tension back on the rod over a couple of days to build it back up to somewhere back where it was afore I started, neck reliefs looking good, actions a tad higher than I want at the nut, and around 3/32 at the 12th so I'll have a meddle with that when i sand off the offending fret!

The guitar sounds absolutely mint (mint being uk slang for good btw :))  so I'm really pleased, a freind was round last night playing it for me, and he was impressed with the improvement too. I'll post back to confirm completion, and I'll post up a couple of pics of the guitar when i get the pick guard stuck back on as it was peeling at one end.

Cheers y'all