Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rare 1979 Natural Finished Washburn Falcon  (Read 9605 times)

Offline Winger

• View Profile
Rare 1979 Natural Finished Washburn Falcon
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:07:52 PM »
                                     Hey Guys, Joined some months back after I found and bought this one but had a heck of a time getting photos to load then got busy with other things so...................in any case here it is,have a look. 1979 Washburn Falcon in what I believe is a rare natural finish [I have only seen one other like mine that sold recently in the UK,sure there are others of course] built by Yamaki, [ Its whats printed on the circuit board in the electronics/control cavity] all original with the OHS Washburn 5 latch case in 9.9 condition[Case too!]. It plays and sounds unreal and I think its superbly beautiful,it has a gorgeous Birdseye Maple top. Story I got was that it was purchased back in the day by a wood worker who was taken with all the beautiful wood construction details that are so evident due to the guitar being finished natural. He was going to learn the instrument but.............it didn't happen so away in the closet it went.  Indeed It looks almost like new. Easy one of the best guitars I have ever owned...................one of my fav guitarists John Goodsall played one of these back in the Brand X days. WINGER   
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:11:05 PM by Winger »

Online wrmurphy

• View Profile
Re: Rare 1979 Natural Finished Washburn Falcon
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:39:43 PM »
Winger, welcome to the forum. You have a real beauty there!  Murph

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »
Now that is a real good looken keeper.   Tom.   :)

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »
If it's anything like the Wings I've owned, it'll sound as good as it looks, congratulations.

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
Just WOW!
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:37 AM »
amazing find!! congratulations.
VERY interesting that it's stamped as a Yamaki build. This model was considered one of the less mysterious ones from the early Washburn catalog because Matsumoku themselves listed these as a model of theirs. The catalog from the time states the available finishes as either Rosewood or Natural maple, but I've never seen a maple one.

I'm guessing that Washburn was placing orders with both houses at the same time, and both houses were doing their best to knock them out.

Curious as to the electronics and the neck profile? Does this guitar have a traditional LP type pots and caps set up, or is it a PCB board? And the neck? 80's slim? 50's heft?

Regardless....the guitar gods are smiling upon you. congratulations.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline Tissan

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »
Very nice Falcon you have, I've got a Hawk one. Great guitar, never sold it.

:)

Offline lone wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
That is one beautiful guitar!!

Congrats on a great score.

Offline Winger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
                                   Hi Guys, Hey thanks for all the positive comments on the Falcon I'm loving owning it. As far as the questions you asked me regarding the guitar it does  have the PC board and hefty 50's style neck profile which works great for me  as its what I prefer..........I believe a thicker neck contributes something to the  sound of the instrument also. I'll go ahead and post some pics of the electronics cavity.......... BTW it does have the metal cover it was just off for the photos. I really like this Falcon alot and play it through a Pearce Gr2 Solid Oak Combo amp and it man does it roar! Anyway I mentioned that one pretty similar sold  in the UK.........it had black binding though.............see if I still have the photos for that Ebay auction if so do you want me to post? I will if anyone here has any interest in seeing another one of these natural finished "Wings" G                  Not sure what the "287" is "79273" is the serial # so 1979.  The "27" on the the cavity rim? don't know................... anyone here want to throw their 2 cents in? BTW you can see the "MADE BY YAMAKI" in green letters near the top of the PC board............upside down as thats the way the board is installed but if you enlarge the photo you can see it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:47:25 PM by Winger »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 06:26:46 PM »
Pictures are always wanted as then they are also used in future searches. You can never have to much new info.  Tom.   :)

Offline Ian Judd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 06:04:36 AM »
Necro thread revival here but I have one in a similar condition. Annoyingly, I haven't worked out how to play a guitar due to constraints in time. Reluctant to part with it in all honesty as my serial number is 7955... I'll post a few pics when I get home from the daily grind!l

Offline Meker

• View Profile
    • http://www.mekgames.com
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »
Yep, that's the serial number--79273.  Gorgeous guitar.

Hey Ian Judd-------please post your pics--don't forget SN--and where is it located?

Offline MagicalTree

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 02:49:42 AM »
I have an original, mint, Falcon from 1979.  The neck inlays are brass rings-I thought all the neck inlays were brass rings.  I also don't recall birdseye maple back then.  But then again, glad to see one made with it, as it's beautiful.  Also, the head emblem here looks different than mine.  And it might be the camera angle, but the head width appears wider.