Username: Password:

Author Topic: Old Washburn Mandolins  (Read 7937 times)

Offline rbbooth

• View Profile
Old Washburn Mandolins
« on: August 31, 2004, 04:23:03 PM »
I am in possession of two Washburn mandolins. The inside labels read as follows: Highest Award at Worlds Columbian Exposition Chicago 1893 and  Gold Medal and Diploma of Honor, Antwerp, 1894. The workmanship label is intact on both and has the designation Cremonatone on both, one has a serial number which looks to have been written with a quill pen and the number is 1491630 (I think). Any info on this instrument or its present value, its in pretty good shape?

Offline keef

• View Profile
Old Washburn Mandolins
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 07:02:15 AM »
Hi:

both mandolins should have a serial number - usually stamped inside the bowl on the piece of wood where the neck attaches to (neck block), or at the upper (side) end of the headstock.

You need to provide more details (neck inlays, # of ribs, other text on label etc.) in order to determine the style numbers. A picture would be a great help.

The serial # cannot have more than 6 digits. The 149XXX range dates back to the 1900-1905 period.
[:)]

Offline rbbooth

• View Profile
Old Washburn Mandolins
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 05:18:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by keef

Hi:

both mandolins should have a serial number - usually stamped inside the bowl on the piece of wood where the neck attaches to (neck block), or at the upper (side) end of the headstock.

You need to provide more details (neck inlays, # of ribs, other text on label etc.) in order to determine the style numbers. A picture would be a great help.

The serial # cannot have more than 6 digits. The 149XXX range dates back to the 1900-1905 period.
[:)]

Each mandolin is the same, except for serial number. Data on one is as follows:

Serial number 149163 (printed on label as well as end of neck.

Two labels are present:

1st label reads The Material and Workmanship of this Washburn Instrument Cremonatone No. 149163, fully guaranteed for the term of one year fromt he date of original purchases provided this lable is not mutilated.

2nd label reads The New Washburn Latest Model - Highest award at World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago, 1893- Gold Medal and Diploma of Honor, Antwerp, 1894

A small stamped impression at end of neck belwo the serial number, ie., an oval shape with a belt insignia surrounding a small guitar, with the words George Washburn on the oval.

No inlays on headstock, but possibly mother of pearl dot inlays at frets 5, 7, 10, 12. The back of the mandolin is composed of 11 ribs.

Thats all I can see..........

Offline keef

• View Profile
Old Washburn Mandolins
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 11:58:44 AM »
Sorry for the delay in responding - I was on vacation.

Your mando sounds like a Style 118 (1896-1905) if it has all rosewood ribs (instead of a mix of maple and rosewood, which was a feature of the earliest 118s) and marquetry inlay at the sides (instead of simple colored lines - these would make it a style 115). Style 118 was the second cheapest Washburn mandolin at the time. I see these go for about $100-$200 in decent to nice shape on Ebay.

Offline phigon

• View Profile
Old Washburn Mandolins
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 12:25:12 PM »
I am in possesion of a Washburn style #235 mandolin. The serial # listed is 209282. Inside the unit, contains the workmanship guarantee label along with an outer band containing the Chicago 1893 and the Antwerp 1894 awards.There are eight what appear to be mother of pearl inlays along the neck (8 total, all different designs from a star to various ribbon type designs).  There is also a cross type inlay figure at the top of the tuning head which appears to be mother of pearl as well.  The back of the unit has one large inlay which travels all along the perimeter, made from what appears to be ivory.  There are also 27 individual inlays (ivory) which span along the back as well.  I have the original case (although tattered) which goes with the unit.  Can anyone possibly tell me the value of the unit, and if so, where I might find a possible buyer.  Thank you for any replies.
phil

Offline keef

• View Profile
Old Washburn Mandolins
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 08:02:34 AM »
You can put it up for auction on Ebay - I've seen various 235s turn up there over the past few years. Or have a vintage instrument dealer sell it for you as a consignment.