Username: Password:

Author Topic: how does he make this sound?  (Read 3830 times)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
how does he make this sound?
« on: September 30, 2012, 03:09:24 AM »
 I tried making my own Chanel  so I could ask him, but some how you tube is not working rite for me. I like the echo or reverb, for his voice and guitar.Lots of ????   OK, I bought a brand new old stock, for 200.00 about a yr ago,  DigiTech  GNX2 ,  It has SLR or what ever it is called the three prong mic, in.  What is a good used mic,  on E-Bay to buy for about 25.00 to  40.00? I no nothing about them. Is this a , whats the best strings type of ????  LOL.   I have been playing with two other guys now about three weeks or so, lots lots more fun. man some old Sigma , & Alvarez <?  and Yamaha  guitars sure do sound good. about 40 yr old. My Washburns sound real good though. I really like my D10S the one from when the company changed. it is supposed to be made at the old factory with updated  bridge and headstock. Only 70 of them.It is lighter and thinner wood. but it is real loud clear and don't break up. I had it set up and I think this month it is my fav, guitar, LOL. I am thinking of selling some of my guitars and saving up and getting a real good low high end guitar. Any way here is his sound.  I really really like how this sounds.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsitpZrlgIo&feature=bf_prev&list=ULTS52xj6OX-A   .   Tom.   :) :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:11:49 AM by t.y. »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: how does he make this sound?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:18:19 AM »
Hey the  fourm program put in huh faces, to cool.   I guess if it dont understand it goes huh.  Tom. :)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 03:29:20 AM »
1.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnw_KLTMlag  .  2.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZtgZ5fHOuU , [  3:15]  You see there are only 4 of them, they just cant resist robbing the blind man.   LOL.  3.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvaEJzoaYZk ,  These are some off our favorite songs to play,   seems to be a theme here..  we play guitars till the middle of the night it is a 25 mile drive on my Harley.  bout time to drive the car at night.   Tom.   :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:47:57 AM by t.y. »

Offline mcloud10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »
1) He's just amplified with a cheap mic in an echo prone room; he's recording remotely somewhere in the center of the room.  That's why it sounds like it does.

2) It's an XLR, not SLR. :)  You can pick up Nady, Audio Technica, Samson mics real cheap.  I bought some Audio Technica 4000s series that have worked very well for our youth outreach.  There are a host of low-cost mic options out there.  The "defacto" standard is the Shure SM58 for voice and SM57 for instruments.  You can find them fairly cheap used from time to time.

Mark
-------------------
'71 Yamaha FG-300 (in restoration)
'73 Washburn W240
'08 Washburn D10SCE
'08 Washburn D10QBK (Son's)
'09 Washburn C104SCE Classical (Son's)
'10 Washburn WC150SW Classical
Washburn Rover RO20 Travel Guitar
Behringer ACX450

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »
[quoteShure SM58 for voice and SM57 for instruments][/quote]

Yup , this is what my band uses and have used for at least 10 yrs.   but i do have a few behringer mics that i love, and they can be found pretty darn cheap on line. must say i love them.

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 11:23:21 AM »
BEHRINGER's XM8500  is also not a bad mic,  great highs.  and it cost less then $25  cant go wrong.  i have one of these also and i do use it quite a bit  at practice  loves it.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 01:22:41 PM »
 Thanks guys, I am going to write these down, and search them on E- Bay.   Tom.    :)

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
t.y. - very cool that you are enjoying playing, and have friends to get together with. that's what it's all about!

Man it's a slippery slope...once you start buying sound gear, then you want to record, next thing you know you need an amp....ask me how i know?

I have a good buddy who is a well established sound engineer here in Chicago. Pays his mortgage doing recordings in his home studio, and also as a live sound engineer around the city. Has spent tens of thousands on microphones, and his livelihood depends on his skill using them.

He also has been providing me with PA gear for the open mic that I've been hosting here in Chicago for a couple years now. I finally decided I needed to take the plunge and have my own rig. When it was time to buy mics, I was going to get the Shure 58's and 57's, which are plentiful on Craigslist and in used gear shops. Reasonable, too. he STRONGLY advised that I not go that route, as they have a tendency to grow legs and walk away, and because they're everywhere, it's difficult to say "hey, that's my mic!"

Personally, I stay away from ebay. its a great reference tool for pricing, but I find I can buy off of Craigslist or Amazon and do better, with peace of mind. Granted I'm in a huge city and Craigslist has virtually ANYTHING I could want for sale at all times. Not so in all areas.

I've attached links to the microphones I went ahead and purchased. They are essentially well made Shure clones. You can buy them brand spankin' NEW for less than $30.00 ea, and they'll have a warranty, and you won't be dealing with a mystery seller on evil-bay.

i got 'em. in the open mic setting they sound great, they seem durable, and if I lose or otherwise damage them, I'm not out a ton o' scratch.

This same outfit also sells good quality cables pretty cheap.

vocal mic

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/microphones/37-205.html

instrument/amp mic

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/microphones/37-206.html

http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »
Two for the price of one of the others.   I have a Dell mini 9. 2gigs of ram 64 gig SSD. Then I have all the recording programs that came with my Fender Mustang 1 . Now I want a mic for going through my Digi Tech GNX2. Can then learn how to make the guitar talk, A Peter Frampton I am not,  LOL  It is so much more fun to play with other people. Now I once again look forward to learning a new song. Cant say why , but I like this Sunbeam song. I am sure one reason why is,  it took 10 min to learn it.   If I remember rite my GNX 2 has stereo out, I have two amps, Also have a USA Hot Rod Deluxe .   Was just in the shop and new parts, and 100% ready to go.   Thanks for the info.   Tom.   :) :)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »
Just bought,GLS Audio ES-58 pro mic. and GLS Audio cable XLR-M to XLR-F 25 ft. All total 56.93.  With warranty. Next I will get the 57. Thanks for the link T.K. I wish there was a Craig List here. Wow,  I found out it can cost thousands to get in to recording.  For now,  to learn, I will stick to my laptop, and a few Mic's. And my GNX, and amp programs. A rock star I am not, But fun I am a having.   LOL.   Tom.   :) Hope this stand was worth it. It looks like it is not cheap plastic.  If any one has advice I would be glad to hear it. This is my first go round at this. I am never to proud, not to listen and avoid costly mistakes.  :)   http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROFESSIONAL-MICROPHONE-Tripod-Stand-Boom-Arm-Adjustable-58-EXCELLENT-/290803917616?item=290803917616&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=9e2YVBMN16p20oBf01yx6z3LGXI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 12:11:39 AM by t.y. »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
here is what I use to help out on the vocals TC-Helicon VoiceTone D1 Doubling Detune Pedal.   ---  This is his reply. going to check ebay. Tom.    :) P.S.  getting one.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:18:32 AM by t.y. »