Username: Password:

Author Topic: guitar info  (Read 7185 times)

Offline forby69

• View Profile
guitar info
« on: October 09, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
hi all first timer  and would like the washburn community for some gen on a guitar i bought 2 years ago  it is a D10 SZ  NAT  and the no is CD06104109 so can anyone tell me what the sz is and when it was made as it is a fab sounding  guitar and being a new guitarist what strings are best for attempted finger picking with a missing index finger on my picking hand its a bit iffy but getting there  and just strumming  to songs   regards in advance  forby  sunderland

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: guitar info
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »
Welcome. Sure would like to see a picture of your guitar. D10SZ. That is one I have, A model D10 - Dred 10,   S solid top,  Z - Zebra wood , -Nat natural color on top.  2006.    I  think if I remember rite have Ernie Ball lights on it rite now. sounds sweet. It was set up buy the guitar store  that sold it to me.   Tom.   :)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 01:24:52 PM »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »
Does it look like this?   Tom. :) P.S.  mines CC08--  Mines a 2008 .
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 01:30:41 PM by t.y. »

Offline forby69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »
hi there  i will try to post some pics when i find my camera lead or phone lead regards forby  mine is spruce top zebra wood sides and back and kind of an aligator spine down  the centre of the back  or spine ?

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:23:47 PM »
Yes that sounds rite. There is a video on youtube that shows how they laminate all those little boxes.  Tom.   :)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »
...being a new guitarist what strings are best for attempted finger picking with a missing index finger on my picking hand its a bit iffy but getting there  and just strumming  to songs   regards in advance  forby  sunderland

Forby, if it were me I'd try a two-finger picking style using the middle and ring fingers.  How long have you been missing your index finger, if  I may be so bold as to ask?

One reason I ask is that as I teach new-to-the-guitar "students", I insist that as we develop their chord vocabulary that they approach learning 2 and 3-finger chords with not only the index, middle and ring fingers, but also with the middle, ring and little fingers.  I think the same approach could be useful for dealing with your individual situation....while I most often use the index, middle and ring fingers to pluck the strings, there are times when I switch to a two-fingered plucking style using only the index and middle fingers.  My goal is to make the transition so seamless that unless a listener were watching the plucking fingers closely they would never know the switch had occured.

That's my own little exercise....it might be useful for your situation, too.  Although I seldom use the pinky for plucking the strings, I do use it for strumming the strings.....but, there are times I put it to use for plucking, too, it's just not my first choice.

Here's how one individual with limited manual dexterity approached the situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yck2Qid41Jo

We're all differently gifted....embrace your uniqueness and use it to your benefit!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 08:51:05 AM »
Wow, guess I have no room for excuses.    Tom.    :)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »
Wow, guess I have no room for excuses.    Tom.    :)

Do a YT search for "Big Toe"....he has a bunch of stuff on the tube, even has his own band, named appropriately "Big Toe".

I played with a classical guitarist for a while, one who had studied with a couple of the world's best guitarists (Segovia was one), and he once complained that he was having trouble with a piece b/c his little finger was getting in the way.  The teacher went out and got a pair of pruning shears and came back, grabbed the hand and offered to cut the offending pinky off.  He never complained again...a lesson well learned, I guess  :o .

I have another young friend who is a great slide guitarist, he was grousing one day about how much trouble he was having, so I sent him a link to a Big Toe YT piece.  That was 7 or 8 years ago, to this day he says that when he gets discouraged he just watches a couple of YT videos by Big Toe and he realizes he has nothing about which he can complain.

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »
At least I do have short  fat  sausage like fingers.    LOL.   Tom.    :)

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »
Even better, look for Django. Ooo, that Gypsy vibe!
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:55:15 PM »
What is that horn violin hybrid like thing?  That is a new one for me.  Tom.   :)    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGfblgFy-RU&feature=pyv        P.S.  Big Toe  rocks " Its Only Rain".        Forby69,  your thread is not really hijacked, just  hoping to see some pictures.  In the mean time this place is,  a little bit,   like a music oriented chat room.  LOL.  :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:09:13 PM by t.y. »

Offline forby69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 02:13:45 PM »
hi there all been a while  , i also got side tracked  , got to say sorry for not putting some pics up but i have to add  that my finger picking  or in my case finger less picking is going along great and took your advice and you just develop your own style  and its a bit knoplerish where  i use my  thumb to pick any string and  notr just as a  base note strum if you follow my drift but my second finger seems to be the most worked   but alas i have another  major problem in being that i changed the strings on my d10 sz and  fitted ernie ball  super slinkys  and they are a disaster on this guitar and i have lossed the sweetness  and in the process  i cut  the strings seperatley with my side cutters instead of unwindindind them off the post  and just binned them  instead of putting them aside for a while and now there is no chance  of knowing what they were and i have lossed  the email address of the lady i bought it off   but havre had a brain wave if  pay pal  keep my records of 3 or 4 years ago   any how does anyone know what  they are fitted with when they leave the factory  any help please    and please dont take offence at the ernie ball strings  they are just not right for my guitarr  regards  forby

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »
Welcome back to LTG land.

Re: the strings.  I'd not worry about brand so much and focus on what type of Ernie Ball slinky strings you have on the guitar now.  Are they phosphur bronze, or 80/20's, or silk and steel?  Are they 10's, 11's, 12's??  Figure out what you have and then change accordingly.  There is no "right" string for any guitar.  Each player will, over time figure out what works and what does not.  Some players are very particular, stick with one brand and type.  Others (like me) tend to focus on type and not worry re: the brand.

Offline forby69

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 02:56:46 PM »
hi  they were phos bronze  12 54  and sitting here i have  some spare strings which are  plain steel and bronze martins  10 -12 -14 -30 -32 -39  and  adagio premium  2nd  5th  6th   but  no   g string  unless i get one off my missus  doesnt use them anymore   may have  amix up what combo would work   regards  forby  here in freezing  sunderland  uk  at nearly 9 at night   time for the football  second half    regards   forby