Username: Password:

Author Topic: new member have a few questions  (Read 1752 times)

Offline cudadan48

• View Profile
new member have a few questions
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »
First I would like to say hello to everyone.  these forums are great...  i recently bought a new D10SCE , it came with a beautiful Washburn HSC.  Price was right... anyway , I also am having playability issues, not sure of the stock strings, but they are def. to high.  I play about 4 hours a week, on average.. time to change strings, but you guys seem to be changing saddles and nuts and everything else.. I know its not a high end guitar by no means, but what are you guys changing out  with.. brand names ect.. so i know what to order.. I currently use John Pearse  silvered steel, Phosphor Bronze Wound Bluegrass.. not that i play bluegrass, but for the .012- .056.  They seem to sound fine on my Takamine S series, another mid grade guitar, but that seems to play way better, easier, and much lower action.. any input, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: new member have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »
Welcome.I own 4D10's Hope to get another in about 20min.   What a loaded question,   you can get pages on strings and nuts and saddles and pins And so on. Some of mine have hand made bone nut and saddle Ebony And Abalone bridge pins, and some have TUSQ Saddle and Nut.. Really like Ernie Ball Light strings. Really like Elixir  Nanowebs also.   Tom.    :) :) 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:31:25 AM by t.y. »

Offline cudadan48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:04:57 PM »
I get it.. lol.. preference is everything.. thanks Tom . I will start with the strings, maybe some light filing.  Not gonna get too carried away..

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:40:36 AM »
First I would like to say hello to everyone.  these forums are great...  i recently bought a new D10SCE , it came with a beautiful Washburn HSC.  Price was right... anyway , I also am having playability issues, not sure of the stock strings, but they are def. to high.  I play about 4 hours a week, on average.. time to change strings, but you guys seem to be changing saddles and nuts and everything else.. I know its not a high end guitar by no means, but what are you guys changing out  with.... any input, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks

I would suggest you take it to a guitar shop with a decent tech, or pehaps better yet to a luthier, for a "set-up".  They will optimize the relief in the neck and the height of the saddle for best playability.  As for changing out the saddles, the D10 series of Washburns came with a plastic compensated saddle.  When it comes to transmitting the vibrations of the strings to the soundboard harder is better, so most of us do change the saddle at least to bone. I replace the nut as a matter of preference...it matches the saddle visually, and while the nut doesn't seem to make much of a contribution to tone, maybe a bit better sustain on the strings played in open/unfretted position, it does eliminate the need for another trip to the luthier for a nut replacement when the stock plastic nut develops deeper slots from having the strings drawn through it under tension as you tune the guitar--they act very much like small rat-tail files.  One of my Washburns has been mod'ed with West African Hard Ivory nut/saddle, a variety of ivory that is very hard and polishes to a glass-like finish...that guitar has incredible overtones, but the fundamental harmonics aren't as well emphasized as with a bone saddle. I prefer the bone for use with a pick, the WAHI for use fingerstyle.

Strings are a personal choice...the bluegrass strings are nice if you like a robust bass tone, and they do seem to hold up longer than the standard gauge strings b/c the bass trio are of a larger diameter.  Don't go too large on gauge, though, or you may need to have your nut re-slotted for the low E string...

Cheers, and congrats on snagging one of Washburn's most highly regarded models...great sound for the low price and VERY responsive to mods!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC