Username: Password:

Author Topic: Xb400 Pots  (Read 2449 times)

Offline petebass

• View Profile
Xb400 Pots
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:03:43 AM »
Hi All, just Joined forum, need some advice, The volume control pot needs replacing its 100k  rated soldered to the pre amp, I have been looking on Allparts site and the only 100k one they do is called a mini pot audio taper split knurled shaft, I live in Spain so i do not want to order this item unless im pretty sure this is correct or what would the difference be if i replaced it with the more common 250k pots ?....Its a great playing bass ! I seem to pick it up more than my fenders or my Tobias !!....Regards to All....Pete Bass

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Xb400 Pots
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:35:58 AM »
Apologies for not seeing this post earlier. With typical passive pickups, you'll generally see 500K, sometimes 250K, rarely 1 megohm.

But with active pickups, you can see values that go much lower, sometimes no more than 25K, because these are controlling parameters in the preamp, not just trimming the pickup's output. If you change the value, you MIGHT accidentally make the circuit better for your needs, but chances are it won't be as good as if you used the original value.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline petebass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 06:04:27 AM »
Hi Tony, Thanks for the reply, I ordered 2 100k pots from RS components in UK, I soldered the new volume pot in and found the length was just slightly too short too fasten with the supplied nut, and then discovered the new pot had a centre detent !!..still its working good enough to gig with, still cannot understand why it had to have 6 solder connections instead of the normal three ???....Peter

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »
That sounds like a stacked pot, right? two layers with three lugs each? Most often when I use these, it's a two-pickup guitar, & the pot is in place of a selector switch, but I've also used them as a tone selector. But if it plays, it plays.  ;)
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/