Username: Password:

Author Topic: D42SCE Fix-up  (Read 21246 times)

Offline copperhead

• View Profile
D42SCE Fix-up
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:55:16 PM »
Hello.

New to this forum. Started practicing the guitar a year ago.
Started out with an Oscar Schmidt OG2 TK (w/matching case).
Bought and sold (3) electric guitars ((2) Fender Squiers and a Dean).

Have decided to stick with acoustics. I found the O-S to be user friendly for me (easy to learn on).

I decided to upgrade to an acoustic electric and get an acoustic amp (sometime, don't have one yet).

Found this beautiful, hardly used D42SCE on CL and bought it from the original owner with hard case.
He claims he bought it new in 2006. The store tag was in the case. He also claims he almost never used it.

The first thing I noticed is the strings are WAY too high and the neck is bowed concave, a lot.

I checked the truss and made a 1/8 turn tighten to see if it still worked and had adjustment. It does.

I plan on taking this to a luthier in Greenville, S.C. for a new bone bridge saddle, new strings (ultra light) and string lowering. This same luthier did a very good job on my Oscar Schmidt.

I do hope the D42SCE is fixable. It's a beauty of a guitar.

I'll post the results on this thread. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, I like the feel of the necks on both the O-S and the D42SCE. Just right for my fingers and hand.
2001 Washburn D42SCE
2002 Oscar Schmidt OG2 TK (on-board tuner)
2007 Samick D2-12 (12-String) (The "Truss-Me" Guitar)
1982 Ovation Balladeer, Mod. 1111
2001 Crate CA-60 Acoustic Amp

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: D42SCE Fix-up
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:33:51 PM »
Glad to hear you like the O.S.  I to was wondering about them as I had never owned one. I have played them in the store for a few min, but that was it. Till I bought the OE30 Delta King. and I think this guitar is killer for the price. As long as the truss rod is turning I would guess your ok. Welcome to the forum, and let us no how it goes.   Tom.   :)

Offline copperhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 04:18:34 AM »
Hi t.y.,

RE: Oscar Schmidt OG2 TK

As purchased a year ago, the used, 2002 O-S was almost like new and played well. I installed  Martin Ultra Lite strings and have enjoyed practicing on it.

Not being familiar with doing set-up on an acoustic, I sent the O-S to a luthier a few weeks ago. The O_S responded well to the set-up and is a pleasure to practice on.

The sound from the O-S is bright (light strings?) and not too bad. The D42SCE has a deeper bass sound. Some would call it "rich". I will know better about the D42 after the luthier works it over.

The O-S is not an expensive guitar and can be found for $125, or less with case. The case is worth half that price. Good Oscar Schmidt case. A 12-string won't fit in it though. LOL.

But the O-S is not perfect. The top and back are a little wavy and not flat. This does not hurt the functionality, though. The guitar stays in tune over long periods of time. It is dependable. The sound is pretty good for an inexpensive guitar, and the finish is good. I've no problems with it.

The O-S is very playable and I like the 12" fretboard radius. Works for me.

2001 Washburn D42SCE

Offline copperhead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 04:36:04 AM »
Back to the D42SCE:

Over the past few days, I've been making 1/8 turn adjustments to tighten the truss rod. I'll turn it 1/8th and let it set for at least (12) hours then make another tweak. The neck has almost straightened out now, and it did not take but about 1/2 turn total on the truss rod to do it.

I'm going to leave any further adjustment up to the luthier. But I'm happy the guitar is responding. It's useful life is not over. It's a real beauty to behold.

I want this guitar to be at least as good or better in its action than the Oscar Schmidt I have.

I noticed inside the sound hole, on a back brace, is inscribed in block letters: "Use medium or light strings only" (or something close to that). I've not seen that on any of my other guitars. Just an observation.

The D42 goes to the luthier tomorrow and will be a week before getting it back. I'll post the results.

I'm going to have the luthier check the B-Band pickup for operation, since I don't have an amp at this time. I want to do some research on a good acoustic guitar amp and get some recommendations. It's not hard to find15 and 20 watt practice amps for $50, but I may want something better than that.

More later.....
2001 Washburn D42SCE

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 02:12:45 PM »
The D42SCE as you already no is a lot more expensive or better built guitar.  But like you say, O.S. is just fine for practice, or for me, just noodling around with,  or taking outside the house, or letting others play. If I was to spend real money I would get a real Gibson ES 335 or a Japan HB35. I have 10 guitars now, and have given away a few, and sold a few. I have been playing guitar now about 4 years. The winter months I seem to practice more, which is probably about normal. I believe a good set up is the best bang for the buck you can spend on a guitar, next would be bone saddle, then nut then nice bridge pins and end pin.I would only worry about tuners if  the ones on the guitar don't work or for color reasons.   Tom.  :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:16:27 PM by t.y. »

Offline copperhead

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:59:24 PM »
t.y.:

Yes, the D42 sounds like it's made of better material than the O.S.. The top really resonates on the D42. It's louder and deeper than the O.S., also.

Update:

The luthier quoted me a price I thought was too high. So I backed down from taking it to him.
I'd rather put that money into a good 50/60 watt amp. 8)

I went ahead and read up on how to sand off a saddle to lower the action.

After removing the old strings, I removed the saddle carefully with some small pliers. It came out with a bit of resistance. Using 120 grit paper (best quality), the saddle was squarely sanded down 1/32". I took measurements with electronic calipers and recorded the results so I'd know where I was at. Next time, 100 grit or heavier. (BTW, I marked the front side so I would be able to put it back in the same way.)

The OEM saddle looks like some kind of plastic, but it is very hard and took longer than I thought to sand off 1/32". (I tried to buy a bone saddle, but could not find one locally.)

EDIT: Forgot to add that I polished the frets with fine steel wool, cleaned the fret board and made (2) more 1/8th turns to tighten the truss rod while the strings were off.
Ended up with a total of 3/4ths of a turn on the rod.

The saddle was then replaced and new ELIXIR Polyweb strings (10's) installed. The guitar got a tune up and sounds much better and is definitely more playable than when first purchased.

I did not achieve everything I set out to do, but it's better. I figure it will take me a few months to a year to really "break" the guitar in and get to know it. So, I may make some more tweaks and a bone saddle (have to order it) next string change.

I also added a strap pin under the neck. I don't see using the headstock to support an acoustic. The neck already has enough stress without supporting the guitar and the player's arm.

More some other time.....

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:16:20 PM by copperhead »
2001 Washburn D42SCE

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 11:41:04 PM »
Here, a set up, and bone nut and saddle,and Ebony and Abalone bridge pins, by Taylor, And Elixir strings and a Lemon Oil cleaning on the fret boards and complete polish cost a 100.00. But he has to hand make the nut and saddle. It takes a few hours to do this rite. I save the New Bone nut and saddle from my Washburn's and put them on less favorite guitars.. New Bone and TUSQ are about the same I think, both sound great, but I just like the bone.

Offline copperhead

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 04:46:24 AM »
t.y.,

The luthier wanted way more for the work you get done for $100. That's why I balked.

I like this D42. Though the neck is the same width as the O.S., the neck is a bit thinner height-wise.
That's okay for me. The E & A strings come out cleaner.

I'm eager to get a good amp for it. I found a Fishman mini LoudBox (60 WATT) on CraigsList. But I'm also looking at a Behringer ACX-450 at Guitar Center, which has larger speakers.

I noticed there are not a lot of comments on acoustic amps on this forum. It would be good to hear from the experienced, which amps work best.
2001 Washburn D42SCE

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »
 I have never used a acoustic amp. But last night I mic'd my guitar for the first time, A D10SW, new Ernie Ball Lights. Sounds unbelievable. I like mic better than plug in. I just bought a older Sound Tech powered mixer, 300wat.  and 4 crate S10 speakers, almost new, Three mic's,  two Sure, And all the cables,  And a USA peavy 2 X 15  bass cab. This thing goes pretty loud and clear.  Tom.   :)

Offline copperhead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 06:57:12 AM »
Tom: "And a USA peavy 2 X 15  bass cab. This thing goes pretty loud and clear."

That is quite a collection of equipment.

I am finding that outside of buying a new one, acoustic guitar amps are scarce on CL and other ad websites. There are plenty of bass amps. Does a bass amp reproduce the sound of an acoustic satisfactorily?

Also, is the Peavey a quality  amp that gives no trouble? Some say to stay away from them(??).

Bass amps tend to come equipped with larger speaker(s). I just don't care for a small speaker with an acoustic electric amp.
2001 Washburn D42SCE

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »
I have heard numerous times that the best amp for an acoustic guitar is a small bass amp.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Darren Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 12:04:18 PM »
I have a  USA Hot  Rod Deluxe, and a Fender Mustang 1 amp. The pa is for me doing what I call trying to sing.  LOL. The  USA Peavy is a      15" X 2  Bass cabinet it is for the low end of the pa. I have a older Sound Tech powered mixer, 300 watt, for the pa.  5 mic's and 5 band EQ.  And reverb. 4 USA Crate S10 speakers. and two heavy duty   MR. DJ  speaker stands. All the cables and three mics 2 Sure,  1 Optimums, 250.00 with out stands. A pawn shop close to me was moving, and gave me a good deal. I am going to buy a solid state amp just for the Peavy, 300 to 400 or so Watt.  I would think a USA Peavy amp would be a desirable amp. I have never played a real acoustic amp. They can be bought for 100.00 or so dollars.  I no there  EQ is different. Tom   :)

Offline copperhead

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
While on a business trip today, I checked the Craigslist in that area (N.C.) and found a Crate CA-60 for $150. I contacted the owner and met him at his home and tried it out. (I had the Washburn D42 with me)

Both the Washburn and the amp sounded good. This was the first time I got to try out the pickup in the D42. I'm glad it is working okay.

I bought the amp, which is in very good condition. Now I have to learn how to use it.  ???

Yes, I've read in a few places that bass amps will do fine with an acoustic electric. No problem finding (4) month old small bass amps (20 watts or so) for $70 on CL.

BTW, I find it amusing that the P.O.'s of both the D42 and the Crate amp are drummers in bands.
2001 Washburn D42SCE

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 08:01:20 PM »
The good news is, you did not have to hunt long for the amp.  I realy need to get on the ball and get me one.  Tom.   :)

Offline copperhead

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 05:38:31 AM »
t.y.: "you did not have to hunt long for the amp."

There was nothing reasonable in my area. I had to go 120 miles from home to get this. Fortunately, I was on a business trip near there.

The amp works well. I fooled around with it last night. It will still take me a little time to get use to where to set everything. The seller showed me that the vocal channel also works with an acoustic. So, two acoustics can be plugged in at the same time, each having separate controls.

I bought a new amp cable for the D42, with straight connectors. This was a mistake. one end needs to be 90 degrees.
2001 Washburn D42SCE