Username: Password:

Author Topic: AB 20  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Bert66

• View Profile
AB 20
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:03:22 AM »
I have some troubles finding the year and type of my AB-20.
The serial number is 1989001(or 4?)226, so I guess it's a 1989 model, but I read everywhere there is not so much digits in the Washburn's serial numbers...
I can't find any other indication about this bass. There is no Washburn logo on the neck, just the name, and the EQ is a Washburn EQ300.
Is it a 1989 model?

Offline vheissu

• View Profile
Re: AB 20
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
Normally with washburn, it's only the first digit or 2 that count towards the date of the guitar, with that in mind I would suggest that it's a 1991, but I could be way out with that.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 11:31:10 AM »
Almost always the  first or two first numbers..   Tom.    :)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:36:12 AM »
http://www.washburn.com/about/archives/1991.pdf    -       Is this your guitar?     Here is you some info.   Does it match?     Tom.     :)  P.S.   We no its not a 1819 or 2019.. LOL.    To me hunting is half the fun.   I searched for months on info for my D10SOB    till one day with the mag, glass I seen it was a D10SQB. Then it took 5 min to learn all about it.  LOL.     :)   http://www.washburn.com/about/archives/1989.pdf   There  you go.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:48:42 AM by t.y. »

Offline Bert66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 02:17:12 AM »
Thanks guys for the answers...

I must admit I do not remember exactly when I bought the bass, but I'm quite sure it's before 1991...I'd say 1990 max...But 80's sound a bit like 60's nowadays, if you remember them...

It seems like the AB-20 of 1991 and after had another equalizer than the EQ300, and the logo on the head, which I don't have on mine...(I mean, on the head of my guitar, since a Washburn tatoo on my head would have been a bit too much, I suppose...)

The Washburn database could be useful, but the AB-20 was available from 1989, and the characteristics depicted are common to all models, I think.

But thanks anyway, I'd look for info.

Offline vheissu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 05:08:23 AM »

It seems like the AB-20 of 1991 and after had another equalizer than the EQ300, and the logo on the head, which I don't have on mine...(I mean, on the head of my guitar, since a Washburn tatoo on my head would have been a bit too much, I suppose...)

Do you know at what point in '91 this switched? I doubt it was January 1st 1991. If this didn't change until halfway through the year, there would still be plenty made in the previous configuration (read: yours.)

Still, if you're positive you got it before '91 it COULD be an '89, but personally, I've never seen a 4 digit date on a washburn serial number.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
Me either, and I have watched and helped with these numbers for over three years now.   Most recent ones 7 or 8 numbers total. If I count correct that is a 11 digit number.   A good mystery.  Tom.   :)

Offline Bert66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 03:06:38 PM »
Thanks guys for the answers.

I talked about the different equalizers because I saw pics on the web, showing supposed '91 AB-20, and they had a different EQ (Equis). The same for the logo on the head

I confirmed both things, I had this bass at least in 1990, and the serial number in the guitar is 1989001226, even though it's difficult to read "between the lines"...

I'm not sure I can post pics of the guitar, but you'll find one here, mine is exactly the same.

http://www.thegiggingmusician.com/social/forums/topic/1/washburn-ab-20

Offline vheissu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »
Me either, and I have watched and helped with these numbers for over three years now.   Most recent ones 7 or 8 numbers total. If I count correct that is a 11 digit number.   A good mystery.  Tom.   :)

If you're saying even the amount of numbers on the serial is wrong, does that mean this could potentially be a franken-tar? Just built out of bits that they had lying around. I mean, no name on the headstock (although I know this has been done), a strange serial etc.

And Bert, thing is, the early 91's could have been the same as the 90's or whenever they made that design. So yeah, the 91's were different, but only the model DESIGNED that year.

Either way, whats your opinion on the ABs? My partner used to play bass a lot, and she wants to get back into it, so I was thinking about picking up something for her, and I know she's always loved acoustic bases. I've been looking at some of the AB range and would like to know how they stand the test of time.

Cheers

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »
You have enough post to pm Jim Smith SR. If I was you that is what I would do. And wait on a answer from him.  I would say if any one would know about this he would. I lost my link to his collection, or I would look and see if he has one. If it is rare he might.   Tom.   :)

Offline Bert66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 02:32:53 AM »
Hi everybody

I don't think it's a rare model (as far as such a model could be "rare", of course!), because as I told you, there are links with pics of the same guitar, that is to say without a logo on the head (but Washburn is written), and with the EQ300.
If AB 20 are from 1989, then this guitar should be a 89 or a 90, I'm sure I have her (it?) since summer 1990. I bought it in a shop in Paris. I'll try my luck with Mr Smith!

@ Vheissu: More than 20 years, and this guitar is just fine! The saddle wasn't really glued, I had to do it, but beside this, not problem! It's not a powerful accoustic guitar, as pointed out by numerous users. You'll be drowned by a guitar sound if you try to play along a bonfire, and don't let the guy with the harmonica spoil the evening...
You'll be louder with a pick, though, I use a strong one.
Great sound in electric mode, nothing to do with a upright bass' sound, of course, but a warm good sound, perfect for pop/rock songs, for instance. Maybe a change of the microphone could be a good idea, but I'm not good enough in the topic to give you an advice...The EQ300 still work good after 20 years.
The neck is really easy to play with, a bit "small" maybe, you just have to get use to it!
I love the general look of this guitar, totally subjective comment, of course! That's why I bought it first place, 'cause I wanted an accoustic that looked good...

I just know the AB-20, never touched another Washburn EAB...

Offline Dmitri

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »
Sorry for the late post to an old thread, but just in case you're still checking: I have an AB20 from 1989. Serial number is 8 digits starting with 89. Has the Equis electronics and solid spruce top. They made several versions at it's inception - laminated, solid and fancy solid (they made one with a beautiful birdseye maple solid top).