Username: Password:

Author Topic: WT-92 Tuner-preamp problem  (Read 6058 times)

Offline avsalesman

• View Profile
WT-92 Tuner-preamp problem
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:17:14 PM »
Hi All,
The WT-92 preamp in my D10SCE guitar seems to be prematurely draining my batteries. I get about 1 week out of them. And no, I am not leaving it with a cable plugged into it. I know this drains them. I dunno whether anyone else has experienced this and if so how you went about fixing it. Obviously the axe is out of warranty now.

Seems like maybe the switching circuit that gets activated when you plug a cable into it for use with a PA, is now permanently set to on despite having no cable fitted. I could remove the battery I guess when I'm finished playing, but this is a pain I shouldn't have to endure.

Anyone??
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky - Hendrix.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: WT-92 Tuner-preamp problem
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:48:55 PM »
Are you sure it is out of warranty?  If you bought it new, how long is the electronics good for.  I bought my D10SCE R in 2009 or 2010. I had a brace re-glued on it last year under warranty.  Cost  0.00 .  Is there a little button or switch that gets pushed from the jack when inserted, like on older radios?   I know on some things the electronics is only good for 1 or 2 yr.  Tom.   :)

Offline avsalesman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:35:25 PM »
I bought it new in 2008, I would say no warranty is still current. I have opened up the jack plate and had a look at the contacts. Can't really see any type of button or switch. Thanks anyway.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 04:23:35 PM »
Does your guitar have a XLR plug as well as a standard 1/4" jack?

If so, do a forum search, I remember there being some chatter some time ago that a dummy plug was needed to avoid battery drain.

....but, then, I'm older than aluminum foil, and I've slept since then, so..... :o

Good luck, hope this helps.

Cheers from Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline avsalesman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
Thanks guys,

I will definitely do that search Dugly.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 06:32:37 AM »
You need a dummy 1/4" plug for the XLR cable to work.  I do not think you need to keep a dummy plug in place to avoid battery drain.

I'd look for a bit of corrosion that is creating a circuit, hence draining the battery.  These pickup systems are pretty sensitive so it does not need much to cause a problem. 

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
You need a dummy 1/4" plug for the XLR cable to work.  I do not think you need to keep a dummy plug in place to avoid battery drain.

Thanks for clearing that up, Keel!  I knew there was some function for a dummy plug....just been a long time and the memories aren't as easy to retrieve as they once were.  If I could only delete some of the bad memories to make some room for new ones....but, alas, that's not the way the brain works  :(

Cheers from Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline avsalesman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 06:41:46 PM »
Solution found!
It wasnt the preamp and the batteries weren't draining. Turned out it was actually the Piezo PU which had been scored (plastic insulation knicked resulting in a irregular signal) somehow under the saddle, either from a set up which included saddle lowering or it came from the factory that way. Not sure. Anyway the helpful guys at the local distributors came through for me with a new PU. works like a charm now.
Thanks all for your input.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 06:57:39 PM »
Glad it was a easy fix.   Tom.  :)

Offline Kabeljaars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 04:16:01 AM »
Solution found!
It wasnt the preamp and the batteries weren't draining. Turned out it was actually the Piezo PU which had been scored (plastic insulation knicked resulting in a irregular signal) somehow under the saddle, either from a set up which included saddle lowering or it came from the factory that way. Not sure.

This could be interesting! A sound/amp problem drives me crazy. Even thinking about buying a Martin. I'm having that type of problems with the WT-92 on my D10SCEDL too, I think! On the amp the sound drops off sometimes and there is an awfull distortion now and then. Looks like a low battery problem or a cable/jack problem but i isn't. How can I find out if this is a Pick-Up problem?

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »
Welcome, The pickup is under your saddle, so I would say take your saddle off and look, but I would first see if I could get a mirror inside and look for something loose or whatever.  Tom.   :)

Offline pistol7720

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 07:29:31 PM »
Hi Guys, I am also having a battery draining problem.... as a Luthier here in Australia I could just replace the whole
Preamp but the cavity is much to large for all fishman preamps and other brands.... Has anyone actually solved this issue?