Username: Password:

Author Topic: NAD: Tweed Champ clone  (Read 6101 times)

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
NAD: Tweed Champ clone
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:48:49 PM »
My own journey through amp evolution continues. As I've been exposed to more and more on the dark side....my desire to understand the roots of tube tone, and what the benchmark tones are, has brought me to my latest acquisition.

This is a handwired, true to the original Fender Champ. The Fender 5F1 circuit was rolled out in 1957, a tweed cabinet, an 8" speaker, a turret board, a handful of capacitors and a trio of tubes, and that's it. It was built for me by a very talented dude who's been building pedals and amps as a hobby for a while, and is a mod at a pedal clone forum. Super talented, super precise. He did a fantastic job.

It's a 5w class A amp. This has 1 knob. It turns it on, and it turns it up. Not to 10, mind you, or 11, but to 12! Yeah baby. The only exception to the original design is that he crammed a 10" Weber speaker into the Tweed Cab. Gives 52% more surface area. When you realize that sound is about moving air, it's readily apparent that that is a tremendous improvement in that width and roundess of tone that can be presented. 

These break up fairly early as you increase volume, and even earlier with humbuckers. Junior....with your strats...you wouldn't leave your house for days. This is just fantastic. Lore has it that Clapton and Allman recorded Layla on Champs.

Without further ado.......

the amp itself

Mounted..

closed up

ready to rock

http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: NAD: Tweed Champ clone
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:46:14 AM »
Wow that looks better than factory.  With skills like that he should never be out of a job.    Tom.   :)

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »
Very nice!!  I like that a lot!  That 10 is crammed in there though.  I'm finding that I much prefer the sound of a 10 over a 12, and that is really influencing what amp I'll get next.  I think my ideal amp for the time being is one of the older Blackstar HT-5's.  I got to try one out over the summer with a few different guitars, and with the two I really liked (a Fender Nashville Tele and a Gretsch 5120), it was really nice, very warm sounding with some good bite to it.
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »
Nice looking work. It will sound even better when the speaker breaks in. I have a '67 Silverface Vibro-Champ. The original Oxford speaker was gone when I got it. I replaced it with an 8" Weber. I can't remember how long it took, but the speaker broke in  in the middle of a song. It just seemed to sound creamy, and mellow. Enjoy!!

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:30:42 AM »
Very nice!!  I like that a lot!  That 10 is crammed in there though.  I'm finding that I much prefer the sound of a 10 over a 12, and that is really influencing what amp I'll get next.  I think my ideal amp for the time being is one of the older Blackstar HT-5's.  I got to try one out over the summer with a few different guitars, and with the two I really liked (a Fender Nashville Tele and a Gretsch 5120), it was really nice, very warm sounding with some good bite to it.

tele/5120 two very different guitars. If it sounded great with both, buy it! There was an HT-5 for sale here on CL recently that I was considering, but I let it pass. As I said, I'm wanting to give myself that baseline of classic amp sounds. So many guys have been playing guitars from the 60's or 70's and all they had were a couple kinds of decent guitars and a couple types of amps, and everything is based on those.

I'm lovin' it so far.

Thats a standard Champ cabinet with a 10" baffle. Had to remove the speaker dust cap just to install it. I've got a good friend, also just purchased a faithful 5F1 clone, but with a 8" Weber. Sigificant difference, although they both sound great.

Such a simple device, with such thick tones. Makes you realize how convoluted the whole amp thing can get. With the limited parts and build construction, but for boredom...this amp could be all you'd ever need, well mic'd, it could do a gig. but in a big space of course it would get lost.

Still, cleans are piercing and bright, but there is something about that Roland JC sound you can't get anywhere else. That would be the sort of "need" that could cause lust.

I'm good for now, though. thanks for looking!
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »
Oh I thought he built the cabinet to.   On EBay there is a man selling , Cab &  Amp head, out of solid pine. 300.00 or so for both. I am thinking of putting my Hot Rod in them. Claims then it will sound like the originals did.   Tom.  :) P.S.  I am going to if I cant tame this tube rattle at high volume. :)

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »
nope,there are a couple well regarded companies that will build a cab for you. This cab came from Mojotone, special ordered with the 10" baffle
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
What is a baffle?    I would guess it has somthing to do with the speaker.   Tom.   :)

ship of fools

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »
Looks just like the old piggies they use to make, great little looking amp.

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 05:41:50 PM »

tele/5120 two very different guitars. If it sounded great with both, buy it! There was an HT-5 for sale here on CL recently that I was considering, but I let it pass. As I said, I'm wanting to give myself that baseline of classic amp sounds. So many guys have been playing guitars from the 60's or 70's and all they had were a couple kinds of decent guitars and a couple types of amps, and everything is based on those.

I'm lovin' it so far.

Thats a standard Champ cabinet with a 10" baffle. Had to remove the speaker dust cap just to install it. I've got a good friend, also just purchased a faithful 5F1 clone, but with a 8" Weber. Sigificant difference, although they both sound great.

Such a simple device, with such thick tones. Makes you realize how convoluted the whole amp thing can get. With the limited parts and build construction, but for boredom...this amp could be all you'd ever need, well mic'd, it could do a gig. but in a big space of course it would get lost.

Still, cleans are piercing and bright, but there is something about that Roland JC sound you can't get anywhere else. That would be the sort of "need" that could cause lust.

I'm good for now, though. thanks for looking!

I'd really like to buy the Blackstar, I just have to find one at a price I can afford.  $399 for a combo is a bit steep for me now, plus they've discontinued the combo with the 10" speaker, so I have to find one used or hope a shop an NOS one there.  I'm hoping the shop that I tried it at still has one.  They had them for $299 at the time I tried it out, but couldn't spring for it at the time.
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Offline Tio Kimo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »
What is a baffle?    I would guess it has somthing to do with the speaker.   Tom.   :)

You're correct. In "amp speak" a baffle is the panel which has the speaker cutout in it. This would be a 1x10, or a 110. A Big cabinet with 4 12" speakers has a baffle with 4 12" cutouts, or 4x12, or a 412. You'll often see a cab (speakers only, no amplifier incorporated into it) called a 212, or a 112, or a 110, etc. That refers to the number of speakers, and their diameter.

Thanks for looking guys, I'm really enjoying it.

'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives