Username: Password:

Author Topic: Just purchased a d10b for my 11 year old  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Barvic

• View Profile
Just purchased a d10b for my 11 year old
« on: December 28, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »
H folks, after Christmas my son really wanted to buy an acoustic guitar with some of the money he received for presents.  He spied this guitar at a reputable exchange (pawn) shop in town. Went down and looked it over and for our offer price of $70 seemed  decent buy.

Just restrung it and it sounds good, no real issues in the body at all, tuning pegs tight, action good etc...

He just decided last month to play guitar and in a couple of days  was changing chords without any problems or delays!  A week later understanding and using bar chords too. Thought we would jump on this gift he has and help him get going. He picked up the bass this year really well and a couple months ago the sax and is astonishing his music teacher at school in both concert and jazz band!  So he is musically talented and capable.

So my post here is more and intro and advise to anything we should know about the guitar.

Seems like we made a solid purchase here and am delighted to see there is a forum on this. 

Cheers Bruce

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Just purchased a d10b for my 11 year old
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the purchase of a great beginner's guitar.

The D10 line is one of Washburn's best selling...and frequently mentioned as a great value.

Your son's guitar is a dreadnought size (fairly large) guitar with laminate top, sides and back.  That's not at all a bad thing, as he can take it anywhere with little worry about damage to fragile solid wood components.  It is durable and will provide years of capable service.

For a longer-lasting pleasant surprise, at some time you may wish to get one of Washburn's models with the solid wood top, perhaps a D10S model.  A solid wood top will offer improvement of tone as the guitar ages and the wood's cells become more resonant.  The laminate guitar you have now will sound much the same many years from now as it does now....like I said, not a bad thing at all, but not providing the tonal improvement he may want if he stays with the guitar as a performance instrument.

We welcome members of all ages...encourage him to join and post as he learns, he'll get lots of encouragement from our members.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: Just purchased a d10b for my 11 year old
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
Welcome to the washie forum.  As Dugly indicated the D10 is a great guitar to begin the acoustic journey.  Sounds like you have a budding prodigy on your hands.