Username: Password:

Author Topic: D10 type query  (Read 7224 times)

Offline ajh1999

• View Profile
D10 type query
« on: December 01, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
Hi forum,

I have a D10 type guitar and I was looking for some more info on it. I searched the forum on all serial number information but it seems not to apply to my guitar :-(

The plate inside the guitar states:

D10 as model number
SC00051543 as serial number

It also states that it is made in China.

Does this mean that it is a D10SC?
If so, what does SC stand for?
How to read the serial number?
Is the first 5 related to the year it is manufactured? (2005 or 1995 or something?)

Since I bought it second (or more) hands, I don't know much about the history

Only thing I know is that I like the sound very much!

Thanks for any info...

Best regards,

Andy

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: D10 type query
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »
Welcome.  D10 is model number.SC = China,   00xxxxxxx = 2,000 ,   SCE  =Solid top   = cut out,  =  electric.   Tom.  :)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 03:45:41 PM »
The plate inside the guitar states:

D10 as model number
SC00051543 as serial number

It also states that it is made in China.

Does this mean that it is a D10SC?
If so, what does SC stand for?
How to read the serial number?

Andy

Hi, Andy...welcome to the forum!

SC=Samick, China, the location in which the guitar was made.  There are two Samicks, one in Korea and another in China.  IIRC Washburn has had guitars made in both Samick locations.

Tom's right, the first two #'s of the serial # indicate the year of manufacture, in this case 2,000.

The rest of the numbers are probably the serial notation for the production run, although there is a memory in the dark reaches of my mind that 05 might mean May (the 5th month of the year), 15 might mean the 15th day of the month, and 43 the number of the guitar made on that day.

Others with more knowledge might chime in.

In any case, it's a nicely made dreadnought body style, all laminate woods (not that that's a bad thing, b/c even though you'll hear a lot of positive comments about solid woods in lutherie, the guitars with solid wood components can be very maintenance needy). 

So, if my system is right, your guitar was the 43rd D10 made at whatever company Washburn was contracting with in Samick, China on May 15, 2000.

The D10 series is highly regarded....the D10S models are a bit more desirable because they have a solid wood soundboard, there were no D10SW (all solid wood construction) models, although there was a D10S that used laminated walnut for the sides and back, which made it a D10SW...confusing, I know, it is one of the few instances using Washburn's model designations that causes confusion like that.

The D10SCEDL (a Cutaway Electric "Deluxe" version with a solid wood top) is the "Holy Grail" of D10 production, IMHO...."Deluxe" D10 models used laminated rosewood sides and backs (the rest of the D10S models used sapele, a sort of mahogany), solid wood bindings, just a great looking and sounding all-around guitar.

Enjoy it....I keep my eyes out for D10 and D10S models on the local Craig's List because I'm in the market for a good campfire guitar and don't want to use the Washburns I already have or the rest of my all solid wood guitars....they D10 models are just a great all-round axe!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »
Y.D. My D10TR 98 I believe, is still at the guitar store were I traded it. He ships all over the world. Forget  what he wants for it. It is in like new condition.  Very nice sound, and you can play it hard strum with out it breaking up. I put it in a Washburn gig bag one of my Exotic woods came in.    270-441-9000,  or   1-800-571-deal,   Unga Bunga Music,  Rusty is the owner. If you are wanting a all lam, this would be it. IMHO,  Way better quality of build, real Grovers. plus I put New Bone off one of my other Washburn's on it. But I never glued the new nut down, in case I wanted to upgrade to bone. Any way just saying if your interested I go to Paducha all the time, I would check for you to make sure it is still like new. You have seen my picks of it. Plus I could probably help you get it cheaper, he makes good money from me, but that IS cool. He has to make a living. I just bought from him today a 90 deg tour grade cable today, and a Behringer U Control UCA222 USB Audio Interface.. Monday I'm getting a Fostex VM 200 mixing board for 99.00, I think thats great, a little dated,  but like new. I am like you though I really do prefer to see and play before I buy.  Sorry ajh1999,  did not mean to high jack the thread, looking back I could have also answered your post more in depth.  :)    Tom.   :)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
Tom, I looked at his website:

http://www.ungabungaonline.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1818

I didn't see your Washburn.

Not sure about whether any of the acoustics I saw were used, they might all have been new.

Give me a few days, I'm still chasing a new WGO26SCE, but if I can't get answers from Funky Munky Music I might be interested.

I noticed World Music says the WGO26SCE is "available", doesn't say anything about in stock.  I don't want B-stock, I want first grade so I get Washburn's warranty. The last time I pursued a guitar that everybody said was "available" instead of "in stock", it took two years to get it.  I don't think I'll wait 2 years this time, that was a very special guitar (my Epi Masterbilt).

I'll get in touch with you if things don't work out on the Grand Auditorium model.

Cheers from Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:46:59 PM »
Those are all new, I played the 300.00 Breed Love, unbeliveble.  Tom.  :)

Offline ajh1999

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »
Tom, Dugly,

Thanks for the information you shared!

Highly appreciated

I've just started playing guitar, this is my first serious acoustic. Knowing some more about the history of this guitar increases my joy in playing it!

Thanks again from The Netherlands,

Best regards,

Andy.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
D10TR, sold over weekend. Man dont know who buys all these guitars, but there sure busy.   Tom.  :)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
 I don't want B-stock, I want first grade so I get Washburn's warranty.       Aman to that.   Tom.   :)