Username: Password:

Author Topic: WI14 Scale Length  (Read 3808 times)

Offline BALDWIN_EXTERMINATOR

• View Profile
WI14 Scale Length
« on: December 02, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »
Hi,

I have been fond of the old Idol body style for some time now, but I do not own one.  I bought a WIN14 in a pack that contained a little amp, and other accessories.  The body style is more like a LP.  Still, I like the pickups and the neck.  I found that I enjoyed playing this inexpensive guitar more than my other guitars.  Turns out that the scale length is 24 3/4" compared to the 25 1/2" on my other guitars.

Curiously-  The picture on Washburn's site shows two sets of volume and tone controls.  This guitar has only one set.

I checked the specs of the original WI14 on the internet, and they were listed as 24 3/4".  I found 3 used ones- and an Oscar Schmidt version, at Music Go Round in Milwaukee- But when I played them, they did not feel as comfortable.  When I measured them, they were all 25 1/2".

What gives?  Are the posted specs wrong?  Are they counterfeits?  Did Washburn change the specs?

Thanks,

Frank

Offline Mike Fiasco

• View Profile
Re: WI14 Scale Length
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
I had a WI14.  My problem is that it would not intonate up the neck.  I started measuring, and it had a 25 1/2 scale neck mounted on a 24.75 body.  I think there was a screw up.  Washburn made a tele-like idol (WI36) with the longer scale.  I think mine was a factory mismatch.