Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn 5240, Need help with background and value  (Read 6901 times)

Offline MarkD

• View Profile
Re: Washburn 5240, Need help with background and value
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 09:11:18 AM »
Correct about the saddle angle, or lack of it - but as noted above, that is not the original bridge as it would most likely have come from the factory with a Washburn "smile" bridge looking like this as someone has correctly pointed out above:

Here is a similar Washburn model 5246 Hawaiian model - rosewood body and sides with spruce top - from the same mid to late 1920's era:

Cheers ......

Markd

ship of fools

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »
Thanks Mark I knew e-mailing you would be the right way to go with this one. I scoured all of my catalogues and couldn't come close enough to even guess the model on this one and have never seen one of these Hawaiian models before but remember hearing that there was a few made. So its nice to know that this is pre Regal and pre Gibson. Do you by chance have a sense of value for one of these.ship

Offline jbart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 09:00:41 PM »
You guys may be dead on with the early Hawaiian model.  My Grandmother played it on her lap with a slide.  The slide is still in the case.  It is brass or bronze and labeled "Waverly".

Offline keef

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 01:19:13 PM »
Your guitar seems to be a missing part of a puzzle, as Mark indicated - it now looks like there were at least four short lived Hawaiian Washburn models, not listed in the catalogs (well, I have not seen them...), styles 5240, 5242, 5244 and 5246.

Two of these surviving guitars that I have seen have a 18-fret neck (which implies Lyon & Healy/early Stewart era), two have a 19-fret neck (introduced by Stewart around 1929-30). The Lyon & Healy badge does not mean that the guitar was made during the Lyon & Healy manufacturing era (prior to early 1928), since the badge was also affixed to guitars that were sold in the 1930s.

As to the mfg year - the headstock shape used on these guitars was introduced around 1928 IIRC, the soundhole marquetry  and serial number on your guitar are post 1930...I'd estimate that these Hawaiians were first made by JR Stewart in 1928-1930, and a few more after Stewart's bankruptcy by Regal (like yours) with leftover parts dating back to the Stewart era (these parts were bought by Regal at the receiver's sale in 1930).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:16:07 AM by keef »