Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1980's washburn info  (Read 4871 times)

Offline BruceBach

• View Profile
1980's washburn info
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
Hello all,

I have a 1980's Washburn electric that I bought in the late 80's. Have it with the case in the picture. Someone wants to buy it and I really can't tell the value. Can anyone here lend me a hand?

Thanks,
Bruce

Offline Dzigi

• View Profile
Re: 1980's washburn info
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »
This seems be HM-20 with single coil pickup in the neck position instead of standard configuration of two humbackers. See here for more pictures and info on HM series:
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Images/A%20series/HM20%2085.JPG

Is it neck-thru or bolt on?

Best to my knowledge, this is not production model. If it does not have serial number on the back of the headstock it could be a prototype or it could very well be custom order, there is no way to tell. HM-20V in really, really good condition usually sells for $400 - $600 on eBay but I have seen them go for as high as $800 and as low as $200.

Yours is not a production model, it has Kahler bridge instead of Wonderbar and it has unusual H-S pickup configuration so it is really hard to estimate the value. If I was buying, I would probably offer $300 - $350 (depending on condition) for it shipped to me. Others maybe willing to pay more, you never know.

Offline BruceBach

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 08:33:42 PM »
It is neck thru. When I bought it, I remember it being listed as a prototype. Thanks for the info.

Offline tobor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:28:30 PM »
Here I am playing one in 1984. 8)

Offline Meker

• View Profile
    • http://www.mekgames.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 09:54:07 AM »
Wow, lemme say again...WOW------that is a full BBR version of the HM-20... or HM-20V if it has a trem bar capability and I agree with the other member, Dzigi,--it would have a Wonderbar IF it was 1985 as that's when Wonderbars were introduced (I have the ad). 
UNLESS:
 the bridge is in fact a Kahler, it is an HM-20K of '84 or '85----yes, Washburn made a few "K's" including some in the A series such as the A-20K and A-23K. Kahler insisted on the K in the name.  Can you please, please post pics of the serial number, Headstock front and rear, truss rod cover and actual model name if any on it, the backside and some tech info (which pot does what, active or passive)?. Historically it is of great interest!

And yes, it is a regular production model. Not a "proto-type" or one-off. But you can say there is a rarity to it as not many BBRs are floating around.

The serial number is the only thing that can answer the question of it's year. Please tell us what it is!!!!!   :).

Full BBRs are great. For basses they are only 1984 (in 1985 they only put out a B-8 BBR but did not BBR the neck--so are only partial BBR). Guitars, though,went 1984 AND 1985 to include the Force 6, some Hawks, A series and Tour 24's.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:18:07 PM by Meker »