Username: Password:

Author Topic: EA20 or EA20SNB, same guitar (Almost?)  (Read 9894 times)

Offline jedillwag

• View Profile
EA20 or EA20SNB, same guitar (Almost?)
« on: December 30, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »
I went to local guitar center to pick up another brand and ran into the EA20SNB, WOW!!! What a difference, why so much difference I thought, I was shocked. I think its the sound hole, its oval and this guitar just filled the room compared to all the others.

Anyway, I went away to research the guitar. Now I am completely confused, EA20 and or EA20SNB. Ok from what I have read the EA20SNB is just a signature series with upgraded electronics, and inlays. Am I correct or is there more. All the websites, musicians friend, Amazon, guitar center, and others have conflicting information. Maple neck, mahogany neck? I don't know if this is a new 2013 with the Florentine cutaway or not, but thats the one I want. A couple websites indicate the guitar will not be in stock until Feb 2013?

Can anyone shed some light on this new? 2013 Florentine cutaway EA20? Is there a HUGE difference between the one I played and the cheaper model?

Thank you

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: EA20 or EA20SNB, same guitar (Almost?)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 02:12:54 AM »
Welcome is that a EA20 solid top?  Can not be natural and black.If some one don't answer this,  I will check it out tomorrow. Tom.  :) OK I would go with what M.F. says as they are part of  one of the larger groups selling Washburn guitars. I would say they would get there orders as fast as anyone.  The wood sounds of guitars is a personal thing. Yes this is a upgraded guitar of the EA Festival type. Remember you pay more you get better quality, wood, electronics, inlays, the whole deal. Real Grovers - Grover like,  Solid top, Sitka top. Bone nut and saddle - Nu bone nut and saddle.   Just my .02   Tom.:)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:55:32 AM by t.y. »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: EA or EA20SNB, same guitar (Almost?)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 02:26:52 AM »
Wow if you don't mind double the money, I would definitely go for the Nuno EA20SNB. I have been on the look out for the rite EA, this could very well be it. Different B&S, Rosewood for sure sounds better. Fishman electronics, big plus. Fancy inlay. I will for sure be keeping a eye on this guitar. If you get one tell us about it and what you think of it. Tom.    :)   I had to stay up another 15 min, Figured I just had to know. LOL.  In case any one wants a quick look.  I would love to have either one, but would rather the better one.   LOL    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/washburn-nuno-signature-acoustic-electric-guitar   http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/washburn-festival-ea20-spruce-top-acoustic-cutaway-electric-mini-jumbo-flame-maple-guitar-with-4-band-eq
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:50:23 AM by t.y. »

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »
Washburn has had many variations on the EA20.  First introduced in the mid 80's.  Lam spruce top and lam mahogany back and sides.  Bunch of finish options.  Equis, then Equis II, Equis Gold and Equis Plus electronics.  Confused yet, wait it gets better.  It was also called the Newport and the Woodstock.  Washburn also called the EA40 "Woodstock".  Washburn also had a EA20SDL in the line.  Solid Spruce top and lam maple back and sides.  Also had a EA20SDL version with a solid cedar top.  Equis Chorus and then B-Band electronics.  There was also a EA20 Melissa special  edition and a EA22 Nuno Bettencourt edition.  All variations on the EA 20.

The current EA20SNB has a solid spruce top.  It should be a better guitar than the all lam version.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:50:23 PM »
I went to local guitar center to pick up another brand and ran into the EA20SNB, WOW!!! What a difference, why so much difference I thought, I was shocked. I think its the sound hole, its oval and this guitar just filled the room compared to all the others.

Anyway, I went away to research the guitar. Now I am completely confused, EA20 and or EA20SNB. Ok from what I have read the EA20SNB is just a signature series with upgraded electronics, and inlays. Am I correct or is there more. All the websites, musicians friend, Amazon, guitar center, and others have conflicting information. Maple neck, mahogany neck? I don't know if this is a new 2013 with the Florentine cutaway or not, but thats the one I want. A couple websites indicate the guitar will not be in stock until Feb 2013?

Can anyone shed some light on this new? 2013 Florentine cutaway EA20? Is there a HUGE difference between the one I played and the cheaper model?

Thank you

More differences than just the Florentine Cutaway.  One guitar is a Grand Auditorium model, the other is a Mini Jumbo.  One has mahogany secondary woods, the other flamed maple.

The EA series has always sounded a bit "thin" to me when played acoustically.  One of the big differences I hear between my Grand Auditorium WG026SCE and my Mini Jumbo WMJ21S is that the tonal spectrum seems to be much more fully produced by the larger Grand Auditorium model and it definitely sounds best played with a pick...but the Mini Jumbo is better for finger style and is brighter (same tonewoods, both cedar over rosewood) . Of the two secondary tonewoods you have available I would probably choose the mahogany, which can present a much "woodier" sound than the maple, which will be bright and maybe too much "bright" for a guitar that sounds thin played unplugged, anyway.

The best choice would IMHO be a Grand Auditorium body style with the mahogany sides and back.  If you can get one with a cedar top, so much the better.  I don't think there would be much difference between the two styles of cutouts....they all seem to reduce internal volume and therefore diminish projection...the sharpness or radius of the cutout point will not have that much effect, but the depth of the guitar will.  Check out the specs....particularly the depth.

BTW, if you play primarily plugged in, all bets are off, choose the one that feels best in your hands.  Every EA20 I have ever heard played plugged in had great tone!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:56:29 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »
Does any one know if the EA20SNB  is new for this year 2012  or when it came out?    Tom.   :)  I have some antiques to sell, Might just put them on Craig's list and see if they turn in to a new guitar.  :)  :)   Tom.

Offline jedillwag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »
Ok, update, and thank you for the information!

It seems the ea20snb is new (2012). No one, no one, anywhere I called or emailed
Had solid information on it, or vs the cheaper ea20 model. So what's a boy to do? Buy
What he likes! Again I strummed guitar, after guitar some low price tin sounding and
Some high priced, nice sounding (some not so nice, but still high!) models. 

This guitar, ea20snb is another hidden treasure! Just like a new amp I have you just can't
Believe until you try it. It's warm, inviting, and is truly a thousand dollar guitar, and I'm as cheap
As they come. Not tinny, not bassy, but can still ring out when playing
"All along the watch tower, Michael hedges" it's got it in all directions.
Playing "Simple man, Shinedown" is my best comparison for you to think what does it sound like.
The neck fills like baby powder, no gloss to stick to! Like your chalked up to play a game of pool.
The looks, I think the edge trim and stain are out standing, and quite nice.

I will play with it more, check out the electronics and run it though that new amp I'm loving.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »
I am going to start saving for one of these.   Tom.  :)