Username: Password:

Author Topic: will it damage my guitar  (Read 5229 times)

Offline najowa

• View Profile
will it damage my guitar
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:11:19 PM »
Yes I recently purchased a washburn WD20SCE   guitar,  and I was wondering will some heavy strings say .14-.59  would be bad for my guitar, I normally tune down a half a step... I used to love playing them on my Alvarez and it never did any harm to that guitar,  but I just loved the sound I used to get...

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: will it damage my guitar
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:07:02 AM »
Welcome. Don't know about damage, but I would think you would need a new setup.   Tom.   :)

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:47:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Washie.

Tuned to concert pitch a set of 14-59's will put a lot of stress on the neck and bridge area.  Most guitar makers suggest nothing heavier than "medium strings", 13-56.  Over time that extra stress will likely result in the need for a neck reset.  How much time?  Impossible to say.  But, if you keep the guitar tuned down a 1/2 step then it should be fine. 

ship of fools

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Simple answer is yes the guitar was made for medium strings and by using a heavy gauge like that you also risk loosing the warranty from any damage caused by the tension.
Also they are completely different guitars so the chances of recreating that sound again are very slim, I wouldn't do it myself but that is up to you and yes you would need to have a complete set up done also.Good luck.ship

Offline magoo99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum najowa
I have to second what ship of fools had said.  why take a chance?

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »
What Magoo said!

Are you looking for greater volume?  Try a stiffer pick.

Are you looking for deeper bass, or a stronger bass compared to the trebbles? Try a set of medium gauge bluegrass strings, same size trebbles and heavier gauge bass strings.

With a .059 you might have trouble getting the low G string into the nut slot....you want the string seated at the bottom of the nut slot for sure!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:36 PM »
Strings really should be chosen with the guitar in mind. In general, spruce likes Medium & cedar loves Light, & the guitars are usually braced with those weights in mind.

Some Alvarez models ARE pretty chunky. I have a .013 set on my 5016, & as I mostly use it for rhythm work with a few fills, it works fine. I've been using that gauge for 15+ years, & I've put roughly 10,000 cross-country miles on the axe, & there's no sign of top warp or joint break. (As I was playing .011 or even .012 on electric, it wasn't a stretch.)

However, though the top is VERY well-made from (so I've heard) veneered spruce... it's still plywood -- nice-sounding plywood, but with structural strength MUCH higher than a single sheet of plain ol' wood.

If I was gonna go for .015, I'd figure the options would be (a) convert a 12-string, (b) have custom bracing done, &/or (c) skip sawn wood & go right to multilayer laminate.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »
Learn something every day, did not know lam was stronger, just thought it humidity resistant more.   Tom.  :)

Offline DaveTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 03:26:50 PM »
Learn something every day, did not know lam was stronger, just thought it humidity resistant more.   Tom.  :)

Laminated timber will always be stiffer / stronger than the equivalent thickness of solid wood, because the grain in the individual layers of veneer will be oriented at an angle to each other (eg. in a 3-ply, the inner layer will be at 90 degrees to the 2 outer ones).

In building applications, you can get the same strength with much less wood, and in a guitar it's why the top won't resonate as well as a solid top of the same thickness.

(Wow ... I remember something from my forestry training all those years ago !  ;D  )
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 06:11:33 PM by DaveTrees »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »
See all that training did help.  LOL.  Tom.  :)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 06:07:29 PM »

Strength is important....try to find a 12 string guitar with a solid wood top.  Not many made, I'd say, and I don't think I've ever seen one.

I think Rocket had a D46SCE 12 string for a while, not sure if he still has it...I do remember it was a 40 series and might have the model number wrong, but IIRC it might have had a solid wood soundboard.  I've slept since then, though, so don't hold me to what I said  :o

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

ship of fools

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 07:06:40 PM »
Actually Dugly a lot of 12ers are solid tops like my W-300-12 from the Beckmen Musical Instruments and so were a lot of Washburns 12's like the J28SCE-12 and the D-10S-12 and many more.ship

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »
Strength is important....try to find a 12 string guitar with a solid wood top.  Not many made, I'd say, and I don't think I've ever seen one.

I've owned maybe a dozen 12'ers over the years.  All were solid tops or all solid wood construction.  These included a couple of Martins, a Gibson, a few Guilds, a Tak and others.  My current 12'er is a 1969 vintage Guild, all solid wood.  Yes, all things being equal a all lam guitar will be a bit more rugged than one of solid wood construction.  But, things are rarely if ever "equal".  How the guitar is braced, the neck body joint, how the truss rod is configured will have a huge impact on the guitars ability to withstand the stress of all those strings.

Some 12 string players tune down a 1/2 or full step.  My Guild is tuned down a 1/2 step.  The amount of stress on the guitar due to string tension is dramatically less.  This gets back to the original question.  If the guitar is tuned a 1/2 step below standard pitch then using 14's should bot negatively alter the geometry.

Offline wn50 d10s12 h1260 ej200

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »
My d10s12 is a solid top as well.I de-tuned it 1 full step,had to re-tune every time I picked it up for the first week,and it almost sounded muted.I was on the verge of putting it back to standard about 10 days in,but this time it was in tune.I did some Ian Tyson,and the characteristic ring and sound were back.Still getting a feel for playing higher on the neck,though.Peace,out-Jamie.
wn50,d10s12,h1260,ej200