Username: Password:

Author Topic: Recorders  (Read 3900 times)

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
Recorders
« on: December 24, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »
First, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.      Now, a question. I ask it here, as there isn't a record section on the website. I've been thinking about buying a small recorder. Just to play around with, and maybe make a few CD's for friends. I would like to record just the guitar, and my voice. Something along the lines of some of Johnny Cash's last sreies of recordings. I've been reading reviews of some of the different brands, but don't really know that much. Have any of you used a recorder that will give a quality finished product? There are some that will burn the CD after you have finished. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: Recorders
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:14:08 AM »
I think it would be nice to have a section on this also. I have been looking at used mixers and mixer recorders and such. Ebay is full of them. My local music stores have some also. But lots of them to chose from, and not sure what are worth buying and what to look for.  I bought a Behringer  U-Control UCA222 for recording on to my lap top, not used it yet.   Tom.   :)

Offline homer_simps1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 08:54:16 PM »
I've had pretty good success with a Zoom H2 (the older model). They can be had for relatively cheap on eBay. The newer models are expensive, though.

If you're looking for some samples, my youtube username is homersimps1. The sound effects, voice and organ music for my video “Andrue’s Halloween” were all done using the H2. I did mix them with Sony Vegas, though, but the sound quality is great for such an inexpensive unit.

Here's a direct link in case you can't locate it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjGUsiEfViI
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 10:35:16 PM by homer_simps1 »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:30:03 AM »
Here is what I bought today.  Tom. :)  :)         :)   these things went fast. they sold one in the time it took me to drive 14 mile to the bank, and go in the restrant and buy mine with my Nexus 7.   
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:18:15 AM by t.y. »

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »
I've had pretty good success with a Zoom H2 (the older model).

this.

freakin' amazing. Zoom has figured something out with their mics. It's stunning. There are many ways to record decent audio, without spending tons of cash, but the zoom products, the size of a digital camera, you set them in the room and press record. done.

I've got the Zoom Q3HD, which is a 1080P HD digital video camera with mics. The video is good, the sound is STUNNING, and the H2 I think is better on audio, plus 360 degree recording capability.

Probably the next best thing would be to have an inexpensive mixer, a decent vocal mic and instrument mic, and line out from the mixer headphone jack to your laptop mic input. The quality would be good. You'd have the ability to tweak the eq, and depending on your software, edit considerably, plus you end up with a mini rig. But the convenience of the H2, take it to a freinds house to jam, take it to the club to record a band, to the open mic...whatever...they rock, IMHO
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 11:35:35 AM »
Glad to hear you say that. I read lots of reviews and you tube videos, but who knows who is really making them.  I think I got a good deal on the ZoomH2N 139.00  shipped Fed Ex. New with warranty.  Seems like 5 Mic's is a lot to be in that small package.    Tom.   :)  like the video, cool sounds.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:43:23 PM by t.y. »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:56:02 AM »
The H2N is unbelievable, I took it to Ryan's steak house at diner  put it on 4ch surround, it records in two different files, then put them together with Steinberg WavelabLE7 with the MS plug-in. you can hear the pans all the way in the kitchen. I was watching the meters as I ate and I could hear the glass sit down three tables away.I am almost scared to record the croaking I call singing. LOL. The music on the restaurant ceiling speakers  was perfectly clear.  Tom.  :)

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 08:34:57 AM »
What I was asking about in the original post, is, does anyone have any experience with the recorders that I could use to record 8-10 songs, then use the built in CD burner to burn a disc.

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »
Sorry If I redirected. Didn't realize you were talking about a unit with a built in burner. I responded with the H2N because, with a laptop, recorder to burned disc is a couple minute operation, but, you need the laptop.

not familiar with the "built in" option. good luck!
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »
I can burn CDs on my desktop, though I've never done it. It has a burner. I just thought a built in one would be better. I want something that will hold 8-10 songs in its memory. And it has to be real simple to use.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 10:06:36 PM »
 For 34.00 I got the UCA-222 above and you just record strait to your laptop then burn.  Tom. :)