Username: Password:

Author Topic: D10S TS  (Read 8660 times)

Offline cb56

• View Profile
D10S TS
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Just traded a bass guitar for one of these. Came with a real nice upgraded case. I'm an old beginner who plays several instruments but have never stayed with guitar.  I play bass, uke, clawhammer banjo and trombone. Gonna give guitar another shot.
From reading this forum I understand that this guitar is discontinued but maybe better than the newer ones?
I think the store I got this from had a few in stock. This one was quite dusty but when I played it, it sounded great.
Did I do good getting this one? I think I did.

Offline wrmurphy

• View Profile
Re: D10S TS
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »
You did great cb, and welcome to the forum.  Murph

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:51:55 PM »
Yes,  that is the number one mid level guitar in the world, But I have six of them so I might be biased. :)   LOL. I have a Rose Wood  SCE ASB, Had Bone Nut and Saddle, Ebony & Abalone bridge pins put on it, it plays and sounds and looks great.  NOS D10S N   go for 300.00 on E-bay. Tobacco Sunburst is extra. If I was going to spend a lot of money on a acoustic, it would have to have a feather on it. LOL   Welcome,  and enjoy your new guitar. As for better than the new WD10S, lots would agree with you on that. I try to steer clear of that conversation.  LOL.  Tom.  :)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:19:09 PM »
The D10 and D10S series guitars are much more "robust" in their construction and therefore heavier.  They had a wonderful feel to them...great balance, good tone, and if you put a bit of time into one they would play like an electric, ask Shiner, he did his!

The newer WD10S models are noticably lighter, sound less solid when jostled about, feel....less substantial.  The newer models do seem to project better into small settings, and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that they came from the factory with bone nut/saddle, but the sound they project has a less "full" nature to it....not sure what it was about the D10S stuff, but it ROCKS!!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline avsalesman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:47:11 PM »
The D10S series (as opposed to WD10S) all allegedly had what is called a NuBone saddle and bridge. Is this just imitation Bone (Plastic)  and inferior in some way? and a supplemental question where can I acquire a genuine bone saddle that is set up for these guitars in terms of the intonation?
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky - Hendrix.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 06:54:48 PM »
I had my local store make my nut and saddle, I think NuBone and TUSQ are about the same.  The little graph on the back of the TUSQ package indicates it is better at transferring more vibration to the sound board, I don't know.  I prefer bone.   Tom.  :)  :)

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
The D10S series (as opposed to WD10S) all allegedly had what is called a NuBone saddle and bridge. Is this just imitation Bone (Plastic)  and inferior in some way? and a supplemental question where can I acquire a genuine bone saddle that is set up for these guitars in terms of the intonation?

Here's a place that has pre-compensated bone saddles for Washburns:  http://www.guitarsaddles.com/pricing.asp
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Offline avsalesman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 10:24:17 PM »
Thanks Philpm for the info.
Without wishing to hyjack the thread from CB56; can any of you who now use a bone saddle with a D10SCE express in percentage terms the improvement in sound over the factory fitted saddle.
I have also heard that the transducer can sometimes not work so well with bone saddles. Is there any truth to that for you?
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky - Hendrix.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »
I don't know all the fancy words, but you can tell a difference. on my D10SCE R  TSB LTD.  Less pressure for your finger picking. And fuller sound, and good sustain. On Mine I do nut and saddle and bridge pins.  Martin Ebony and Abalone pins, look good and supposedly help transfer vibration.    Like I say I don't know all the tech terms, but there is a difference. Also I am sure the set up buy a Luthier helped a lot.  And Elixir 11050 Polyweb Light 12 - 53, strings helped also, compared to stock.  Tom.  :)  All my D10S's  are done, or will be done, have a couple  new old ones need done yet.  I have 7 different  configurations of them. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:19:14 PM by t.y. »

Offline cb56

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »
Wow you have seven D10s. Can I ask why? I'm a newbie at guitar and I love my D10S but for the price of seven you could afford a top end guitar. Are they that good? Not putting you down, seriously asking a legit question.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:11:46 AM »
3 are from the exotic woods collection, need 1 more to have all 4. 1 is from the very last ones made before the company sold. only 70 of them in the world. One is a Rose Wood SCE LTD, made from the last of there Rose Wood when they sold, WMS called it a Frankenstein, only a few of them. It is not like the regular ones.  My D79SLTD, one of 1979, I call it a D10S Because it is like one under a different name. They all are different in sound looks weight Feel and balance. And value.I have one more D10SExotic Wood to get than I am done with D10S's, and dreads in general. Plus I really like the Electric guitars also,  So I am juicing some of the ones I have.  Tom.  :)  :)  P.S. it has taken me 3 yrs to have that many which is down from 10 or so.  :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:15:47 AM by t.y. »

Offline cb56

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 07:57:16 AM »
Sounds cool. I only have one guitar ( my DS10) But I'm starting to think I lucked out by choosing such a good inexpensive instrument. The store I bought it from had a couple more NOS D10s in stock. Wish I had the money, I'd run over there and snag them up before someone else does.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »
Thanks Philpm for the info.
Without wishing to hyjack the thread from CB56; can any of you who now use a bone saddle with a D10SCE express in percentage terms the improvement in sound over the factory fitted saddle.
I have also heard that the transducer can sometimes not work so well with bone saddles. Is there any truth to that for you?

I can't speak directly to the D10 series, but I've replaced dozens of saddles over the years.  Plastic, Micarta, Tusq, Corian and/or bone.  Tried 'em all in various guitars.

In very general terms a generic plastic saddle will deliver the least complex and robust tone.  Bone will deliver the most volume, have more complex overtones and enhanced sustain.  The high tech plastics, Tusq, Corian, etc. fall somewhere in the middle.  How much of a difference will depend on the guitar, the player and other variables.  A person with a heavy right hand who really drives the guitar will likely notice different qualities than a light handed fingerstyle player.  Some players do prefer the high tech plastics over bone for use in an electrified acoustic guitar.  Particularly a guitar with a UST.  All my acoustics have K&K's, which is a under bridge system, not a under saddle.  I have tried both bone and Tusq, Micarta and I still prefer the bone saddle.  The amped sound was the same, but bone at least to me delivered a slightly better acoustic tone.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 10:02:41 AM »
Do they have a D10SOV, That is what I need?  Ovankol is the last one I need.  I have Zebra,  Walnut, and Bubinga.  The Bubinga has a bone nut and saddle, and Elixirs, and bridge pins. The other two I left original, the  D10SOV I will two, maybe, it it 100.00  bucks to do them like my others,  apiece.  The Elixirs on my Rose Wood are 1.5 yr old and still sound good, but are starting to show sings of wear.   Tom.  :) 

Offline cb56

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »
I think just the regular D10s with different finish than what I have. One in particular that I remember was just a natural finish D10S.
BTW do these take a special truss rod wrench or is an allen wrench supposed to work. Tried to use an allen wrench and couldn't get it to turn either way. didn't want to force it.
I lowered the saddle to a nice 3/32-5/64 then checked to see if the truss rod was snugged. I hear they sometimes ship them with no tension on the neck. I couldn't get it to move either way. The neck is very straight with no buzz so I'll leave it as is. But if it ever needs adjustment it would be nice to know that it moves.