Username: Password:

Author Topic: New guitar  (Read 1576 times)

Offline jbond@cusd10.org

• View Profile
New guitar
« on: January 20, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »
Hello.  I am a beginner (only about 8 lessons).  I am looking at purchasing a different guitar.  My local store has a Washburn in stock.  They said it is a timberlake wd 760.  I can not find any info on this model on the website.  Wondering if anybody out their could help me out.  Would love any information or opinion on this model.  Thanks

Offline aggtex

• View Profile
Re: New guitar
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
Do not know the model cuz I only play one kind of Washburn , Dime models, but somewhere on here they just posted the new 2013 Catalog, chk. it out brother...Someone else might help ya!

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:53:21 PM »
jbond, welcome to the forum!

I believe the WD760SW is now out of production, but it has a solid cedar top and solid ovangkol (a type of mahogany, if I remember correctly) back and sides.  It is a dreadnought (full) size acoustic.  Have you tried playing it yet?  That'll be your best test on whether the size and sound are what you are looking for.  Be aware, that since it is a solid wood guitar, it will be more expensive than a beginner level guitar, which will often have a solid or laminate top and laminate sides.  One is not necessarily better than the other, but it is something to keep in mind.  Also, what type of guitar do you have now?  Do you dislike the sound, or are you wanting to upgrade to a better quality guitar?  These are all questions to keep in mind, but playing it and finding out about it yourself is worth more than anyone elses' opinion.
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Offline jbond@cusd10.org

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 06:27:59 PM »
Thank you all.  I have an Ibanez right now.  Realized this week it has a broken brace inside therefore it will be gone for at least two weeks getting fixed.  I am not completely happy with it (could just be the broken brace).  Just looking to up grade.  Have been looking at Taylor's, martins, and gibsons.  Local story says these washburns are just as good sounding at lower price.  Just wanting some other opinions.  Thanks again

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 07:04:52 PM »
I would say a solid wood is going to sound as good as anything in its price range,  to a little higher.  Washburn guitars seem to cost less than guitars of a same quality. I would say those upper end guitars also spend a lot on advertising.  Just my .02.  Tom.  :)