Username: Password:

Author Topic: '93 Nuno restoration help  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Harley90

• View Profile
'93 Nuno restoration help
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:47:39 AM »
Hi Guys, 1st post here  :) . I have a '93 (from the serial number) and I've had since around 2003 ish. It's like new, I don't play it much but am just starting to again. The guitar has one big issue.....Who ever had it before me sanded the front headstock so that it had nothing on it. I had bought a waterslide decal to have my tech guy "restore" it well he put it on and colored the headstock as he thought it should be darker  >:( .

So it certainly plays awesome and sounds great I just would like it restored to original condition.

Does anyone recommend a person, company or anyway to restore this guitar?

Thanks!!

Offline skeesik

• View Profile
Re: '93 Nuno restoration help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:05:33 PM »
What did he "color" the headstock with?  Stain?  Paint (hopefully not)?  Do you have any photos?

My first thought is to get more decals (pretty cheap), sand the headstock, get a bunch of photos of other N4 headstocks for reference, and apply them yourself.
*skee

Offline Harley90

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to lay it out for some photos in the next day or two....I don't think the waterslide decal is correct, I think he did it with a wood pen, the kind you have to use for furniture repair....I think it could be all reversible if I brought it down with 0000 steel wool but to get back correct as it should be is more my concern.

Offline skeesik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:01:22 PM »
I see.  I have a '93 as well that you can use for reference if you'd like.  I can make some hi-res images available.  I'm curious to see your photos and determine (long distance) what might be done to restore the headstock.

Keep this in mind...if you want to restore this to near-original condition, the face of the headstock as well as the face of the Stephens Extended Cutaway will need a thin coat of nitro after the decals are applied.  I think this may have been the only year (possibly 94 as well) where nitro was used on the face of the headstock & SEC.

*skee

Offline Harley90

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply...will try to get some photos up tonight. Really a great guitar, just hope I can get it back to how it originally was.