Username: Password:

Author Topic: USA Lakeside Jumbo 2013  (Read 5239 times)

Offline Noun0

• View Profile
USA Lakeside Jumbo 2013
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »
http://www.washburn.com/products/acoustics/lakeside/index.php

A new USA made acoustic..... :o up to 5000 USD >:(
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxthe  official paper:
For Immediate Release
US Music Corporation
(800) 877-6863

Washburn Guitars Revisits its Glorious Past with the
Re-issue of the USA Built Lakeside Jumbo Acoustic Guitar

Chicago, January, 2013 - Washburn Guitars is pleased to announce the re-issue Lakeside Jumbo.

Washburn originally introduced the Lakeside Jumbo model in 1912 and it is considered the first dreadnought sized guitar. It bridged the gap between smaller bodied parlor guitars of the late 19th and early 20th century and modern day dreadnought and jumbo acoustic guitars.100 years later we have captured the essence of that model with modern materials to provide a truly inspired, unique and special, USA made instrument with its own voice.

The USA version of this guitar is hand built and signed in our USA Custom Shop by Terry Atkins. It features a solid Adirondack spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides. The scalloped bracing is hand shaped by Terry. An antique burst finished mahogany neck is topped with a 20 fret rosewood fingerboard and a rosewood capped headstock reminiscent in shape of Washburn guitars of the day. Wilkinson tuners with butterbean buttons add a vintage flair and the pearl inlaid vintage Washburn logo and flourishes bring a subtle understated class to the instrument. Cream binding, lined rosette, a simple rosewood bridge and tortoise shell style pickguard round out the package.

Players looking for an alternative to a standard dreadnought but want to retain the volume and projection without the size of a jumbo will be especially attracted to the Lakeside Jumbo. Tonally this guitar delivers the goods with a big, loud & deep low end and warm but crisp and articulate mids and highs.

The USA Lakeside Jumbo has a Suggested Retail Price of $5,332 and includes a hardshell case.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:31:21 AM by Noun0 »
Washburn D82SW  & D55SW Cherokee
Eastman E10D
Guild JF30
Gibson EC30 BKE
Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean
G&L Legacy HB
Telecaster CS US Jerry Donahue

ship of fools

Re: USA Lakeside Jumbo 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:53:40 AM »
Terry Atkins from Tacoma guitars he's been around for a while but I just don't see it for that kind of money we are into the Handbuilt territory and to be honest if they want a custom shop they need to build to a customers needs or else they could have just kept John Stover to keep building for them.ship
I need better convincing its not that I mind spending money like that on a guitar its just an unknown and after my last custom shop selling disaster

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:06:14 PM »
Interesting looking guitar.  A MSRP of $5332 is going to have a street price of $4,800 +/-.  An awful lot of coin.  As Ship note you are pretty close to the boutique builders at that price.  I was also struck by some inconsistencies in the press release vs the online specs.  The press release makes a note of solid adirondack spruce and solid rosewood back and sides.  The online specs are listed as simply solid spruce (that usually means Sitka) and rosewood back and sides, no mention of solid.  In the absence of the word solid, I always think laminated.  The specs and press release also call for Wilkinson tuners w/ butterbean buttons.  The guitar in the picture appears to something different, but it's hard to tell.  Plus for that kind of coin I'd want Waverly or Grover tuners.  Wilkinson is a bit obscure.

Offline Noun0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
I think it's the "Warren Haynes" model announced last year   :-\

on the left

Some news from NAMM, a "Warren Haynes" Jumbo  :P

Edit: mistake, the "Warren Haynes" seems to be the "Solo Deluxe", look at the last page in the 2013 catalog http://www.washburn.com/media/pdfs/catalogs/USM-WGC2013_122712_LoRes.pdf

There are more spec on the catalog, but Evenkeel you're right, some models are non solid wood (the sitka toped).....cause some others are solid (the Adi toped) for the Lakeside Jumbo and for the Solo Deluxe.........
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:44:53 AM by Noun0 »
Washburn D82SW  & D55SW Cherokee
Eastman E10D
Guild JF30
Gibson EC30 BKE
Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean
G&L Legacy HB
Telecaster CS US Jerry Donahue

Offline nogin007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »
You are right ship, and keel. I enjoy Washburn guitars, but when you try to sell, even custom shop instruments, that's hard to do. At this price, it turns me off. Especially when I read where a competitor introduces a new model jumbo, hand built in the USA, with all solid woods, with hard case, shipped for $1499. I'm glad I don't get gas anymore. Haven't since I ordered  necks, bodies, pickups, and all the parts to build my own electrics. Been thinking about buying a kit, and build an acoustic. I built a wood workshop before I retired.

Offline Ripple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »
I visited and played these models while at NAMM the jumbo sounds impressive has a rosewood fretboard and bridge and has a rather plain apearance the Baritone was really loud.It was cool to see the made in USA stamped into the back of the head stock .If I could buy it would be the folk size though. The two Domestics were hanging separately from the rest of the heard.The list is how much? Their was sure lots to see spent 3 days needed 3 more
Washburn D26S Washburn D60SW  Washburn F15 Alvarez Yairi DYK75P American Standard Srat Buffet R13

Offline WEBgUy

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.usmusiccorp.com
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 05:09:49 PM »
The USA Lakeside is expensive because it's hand built here just as a boutique guitar is. Most of the work is 2 people, one who does the neck and one who does the body and joins the neck to it. It's also individually voiced with extra carving as needed. 2 more people, a dedicated painter and a dedicated buffer finish it. There is no assembly line type of work done on these guitars and only a small number are able to be produced each month. If you like them but can't afford them, we have lower priced versions available. Baritone versions are also available. See them all here.

ship of fools

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 10:48:07 AM »
But Webguy it begs the question as to why you would make a Lakeside that was made back in 1912 when Nick talked about the custom shop making acoustics I think we were all thinking that it might be more custom like say ordering from Martin with some more wood choices and sizes or else you basically have the same situation as you did with John Stover making a predetermined guitar and apparently that didn't go over well the first time.
And I am sure that Terry would have no problem making more custom acoustics for us with Washburns name on it and that would actiually make it a custom shop guitar. And to be honest I can't for the life of me figure out why someone chose the Lakeside to bring back I might have chosen something else but thats just me, different taste for different folks. I could afford it but its not they type that I would really look at.
ship