Username: Password:

Author Topic: New to me WB400SWCEK  (Read 3066 times)

Offline zeethree

• View Profile
New to me WB400SWCEK
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »
Hello! 

Just acquired this model baby jumbo in excellent cosmetic shape but has a problem with the action and it looks like it will need the neck reset.  Very disappointed that I didn't notice this before making the deal.  I am not very adept at making sound judgements under pressure.  Anyway, it's mine and I would like to fix it.  I guess this is why the PO wanted rid of it.  Does anyone know if there is anything unusual about the neck joint that would prevent me from attempting this repair myself?

Thanks in advance. 

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: New to me WB400SWCEK
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »
Welcome.  I would think the first question is, have you ever did one before?   I have not, From reading on here I know it is not real cheap to have done though. I know were there is a old Harmony from the 50's or 60's, the fret bored is cracked were it crosses the body.  It has a cantilever neck<?   So can be repaired, but cost 300.00, plus the price of the guitar. Don't know what a reset would cost. Hope all works out well for you.   Tom.  :)

Offline zeethree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:12:51 PM »
No, I haven't done anything like that before.  I sanded the saddle down and got the action to where I can stand it and now the string break angle is insufficient I believe.  It still sounds ok but the G string pin keeps flying out.  And I found a post regarding wood problems with the G07 serial numbered guitar and I probably have that funk going on.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:57:52 PM »
Hello! 

Just acquired this model baby jumbo in excellent cosmetic shape but has a problem with the action and it looks like it will need the neck reset.... Does anyone know if there is anything unusual about the neck joint that would prevent me from attempting this repair myself?

Thanks in advance.

Usually two methods used to join necks to the bodies, "bolt-on" and dovetailed.

It takes some pretty sophisticated equipment to steam the neck out of the body...and some rather specific skills that are part of learning lutherie in general.  IMHO it is not the kind of repair I would undertake on my own, but perhaps if the guitar were cheap enough it might be a good platform for a learning experience...not much ventured, not much lost if it doesn't turn out well.

I wouldn't try one on my own.....just sayin'.....

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness, Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL 8) !!
Retired twice, still attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns: WD32SW, D61SW, C124SWK, WMJ11S, WMJ21S (2) and WGO26SCE
Other fine acoustics: Breedlove custom 000 Revival, Darren Hippner #506 Hauser, Takamini 2005 LTD, Epi Masterbilt AJ500