Username: Password:

Author Topic: SB-40 History Gathered Up by MEKer so far  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Meker

• View Profile
    • http://www.mekgames.com
SB-40 History Gathered Up by MEKer so far
« on: January 28, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »
I just put this up over at TALKBASS a few days ago.  Some of you may have noticed my strong interest in the history of the SB-40 bass and I have spent literally years trying to sort out the history of this wonder bass.  Below is what I have found so (I have an amazing array of pictures and SNs on this). As more info is found, any corrections  and additions will be posted/edited into this continued gathering of info.  Below is what is currently sorted out:

"OK, here’s a partial history I have not put up previously---pretty exciting and not the end of the story yet. The missing links are many advertisements, catalogs and brochures from 1979-1982 that would finally solve everything. They are really mostly missing. From 1983 onward they are mostly findable. The next lines should make clear an evolutionary path.
OK, the SB-40 and B-40 appear in history at about the same time in 1979  as far as being designed and manufactured as new 1980 basses. These two basses ended the "classic hollow body" shape used by the Scavengers and Vultures I and II. They brought in the "modern" or "catch-up" body phase for Washburn. They did keep the 2x2 tuners to remain in the WING series.

1.The B-40 (known in Europe as LB-40 for some {I am sure} stupid reason) with 4 knobs and 1 toggle switch appears to be a dead end branch of evolution, altho I cannot find an end date for them. The latest I can find is a 1982 Rudy Sarzo ad with a B-40. So the lifespan parallels the SB-40. So any other Washie with 4 knobs and 1 switch could claim SOME kind of kinship with the grandaddy B-40. It may even be that the B-40 INSPIRED
2.the SB-40 which comes out with 3 knobs and 2 switches(toggle and mini) as perhaps a bit more sophisticated for 1980-1982 (the SB-40EQ appears to be introduced 1981): to be followed by SB-40, (not B-40), look-alikes and with same electronics of 3/1/1 except that the headstock was changed to 4 in-line and thus closed the Wing Series era and entered the Force series.

So the SB-40 of 3 pups/2 switches elec pkg (the B-40's 4/1 elec pkg is dropped) then continues success by morphing into

a. FORCE-40EQ + EQW in 1982 along with the final SB-40s NOTE: I JUST FOUND OUT VIA EBAY SB-40EQ WAS ALSO MADE AND SOLD IN 1982--WOW PICS POSTED WAY DOWN THE THREAD--and then
b. B-40EQ +40EQW in 1983 I have ads for them.
c. drop the EQ/EQW to be a regular FORCE-40 in 1984 which had a long run of success

So, to recapitulate, The Scavengers and Vultures along with their body shape are like the old cars on the road because they were still produced until, at least, 1981-1982.

The B-40 and (notice they just added on an "S" to show cousinry in this "new-to-Washburn" shape) SB-40 ushered in the "modern" body style together for Washburn if you want to call it that, since Fender  pretty well knew it was cool since 1951 and it took Washburn all that time to get on board!

Next step is I must get into the Library of Congress Patent Office and drag out some info to further NAIL THIS STUFF DOWN!  NOTE BBR Force series has the same 3/2 elec pkg of SB-40 also"

Please note that the B-40 was proto-typed and also (in limited numbers)sold by Daion for Washburn. Daion fans will argue that point. I am looking for evidence that the SB-40 was also originated for Washburn with Daion --but so far nothing. If anyone has info on that, please let me know.  That is a missing piece of the puzzle as well. BTW I am MEKer on Talkbass as well.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:43:11 PM by Meker »

Offline iriegnome

• View Profile
    • http://www.cosmicrailroad.com
Re: SB-40 History Gathered Up by MEKer so far
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:15:13 AM »
I am still trying to find that information on the guy in euorpe for you.

Offline Meker

• View Profile
    • http://www.mekgames.com
Re: SB-40 History Gathered Up by MEKer so far
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:40:17 PM »
Thanks, irie