Username: Password:

Author Topic: Just bought my first Washburn. Would like more info and feedback, recommendation  (Read 7102 times)

Offline pzager

• View Profile
Hi all,

Just bought this today, and I had fun finding this site and looking up the info on this Washburn. I'll attach some pictures. (How do I do that?) Would like to know more about this specific type, year, etc. Also, below (the seller's info to me) states some of the changes and work that has been done on this guitar (different tuners, removal of the preamp, etc). I just tuned it and it plays easy and well as an acoustic (a little bit tinnier sounding than my Giannini 12 string), but i think I would want to make it electric again. Best (and most reasonable $) way to do that? Will it continue to lose value for each change without original materials?

The 12 string acoustic is a Washburn EA46/36 "Marquee" Festival series
single sharp cutaway thin body, bird's-eye maple top/back/sides, three-stripe bound body, 9 diagonal sound channels, mahogany neck, 14/23-fret extended rosewood bound fingerboard with pearl diamond inlay, Birdseye maple on bound peghead, three-per-side pearl button gold diecast tuners, rosewood bridge with pearl dot black pins, acoustic bridge pickup, Equis Gold preamp, with hardshell case. The previous owner removed the preamp, additional inputs & left pickup unconnected. He also had a headstock repair which is stable. The tuners have been replaced by Sperzal locking tuners. M.S.R.P. $1000 new. Playable condition with excellent intonation up and down the neck.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:46:47 PM by pzager »

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Welcome to the forum.

Here is the blue book info on your EA 36/46 Marguee.
EA36/EA46 (MARQUEE)
- single sharp cutaway thin body, flame/bird's-eye maple top/back/sides, three-stripe bound body, 6 or 9 diagonal sound channels, mahogany neck, 14/23-fret extended rosewood bound fingerboard with pearl diamond inlay, flame maple or rosewood veneer on bound peghead, three-per-side pearl button gold diecast tuners, rosewood bridge with pearl dot black pins, acoustic bridge pickup, Equis Gold preamp, available in Blue, Natural, Tobacco Sunburst, or Vintage Sunburst finish, mfg. late 1980s-1997.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $500 - 600 $275 - 325
Last MSR was $1,000.
Add 25% for Blue finish (special order only).
In 1992, the Marquee was renumbered the EA36 (previously EA46), flamed maple top/back/sides were changed to birdseye maple, the sound channels were narrowed and more were added to bring the total to 9 from 6, and Tobacco Sunburst was disc. and Vintage Sunburst was introduced. In 1994, Vintage Sunburst was disc. In 1996, Marquee was dropped from the model name, and Equis Gold electronics replaced Equis II.
EA36 12 Marquee 12-String
- similar to EA36 Marquee, except in 12-string configuration and six-per-side tuners, available in Natural or Vintage Sunburst finish, mfg. 1992-93.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $550 - 650 $350 - 400
Last MSR was $1,050.

The seller obviously took most of his selling info directly from the blue book.  In good shape the guitar would have a value of $450 or so.  With all the changes; repaired headstock, replaced tuners, removal of the PU system, etc. the value is likely below half of that.  Maybe $200 or so.  I would not worry about further changes having any negative impact on value.  I'd focus on getting the guitar into good playing shape as an electric.  That is what the guitar was really designed to do.  You will not be able to replace the Equis Gold system, as it's not made anymore.  However you can likely find a drop in unit from Fishman or B-Band that should fit.

To post pics, you need to use a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com.  free and easy.

jimsmithsr

Welcome to the forum pzager:
Visually stunning guitars....getting harder and harder to come by. 
If the guitar doesn't have any structural issues it's a keeper....
Here's one from the collection:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:33:25 AM by jimsmithsr »

Offline pzager

• View Profile
Thanks Evenkeel for your thoughtful post and jimsmithsr for the the beautiful pictures. I'll look into getting it back to electric and into good shape and use a photo hosting site (can't use iPhoto?) to post some pictures. it is the birds eye maple vs the I believe sunburst which is shown on jimsmithsr's post. The seller told me that the replaced Sperzal locking tuners are far and away better then what was original (though they don't have much spacing between the tuners). I paid 120.00 for the guitar. Why would a previous owner take out the PU system?

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile

Offline pzager

• View Profile
I finally figured it out, and here are the pictures of my first Washburn (EA 36 12 string that had PU system removed).

jimsmithsr

Your EA-36 looks to be in good shape.  New 3 band EQs are still being sold (on e-bay and elsewhere) for around $30.00.  (they're not the Equis brand, but will probably work as a substitute.)

see:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190472773606?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar#

Might be worth the $50.00 or so to get the electrics, output jack and back coverplate  to 100% (if you do the work yourself)....

Offline pzager

• View Profile
Thanks Jimsmithsr for the link to EBay for the EQ systems. I am pretty excited about this project and there does seem to be potential to get this baby back in shape without spending too much $. I am not much to do it myself (though it may pay in the long run to learn :-). Overall it is in good shape but there are some problems. There is another big open square in the bottom too, and it looks like there where two jacks also. I took it into Guitar Center (I am in SF) and had the tech look at it. I think he is going to give it a good try for me (I have been going to GC for drums and guitars for 12 years). He doesn't know why there is this extra cut out square at the bottom ("there's a lot of holes in this guitar"), but I think after we talked a bit about the project and what can be done, he took a liking to the guitar and I think it will be a fun project (maybe refreshingly different than what he is used to there)). He said that there was somebody at one time who did decided to put a lot of money into the guitar - new white bone bridges on the bottom bridge near where the strings attach to the pegs - and a fill in besides that bone on the bridge- (excuse me for my lack of proper guitar language here) and on the top near the stock head, the expensive tuners -, but the headstock work, though seeming done ok and strong, was not sanded down well. We are going to need two plate covers (probably some pick guard plastic that I hope will be double layered and maybe with some color variation vs one drab white or tan color). He said that he will look around for a used EQ system that might be in the store, that they have taken out of guitars brought in but can't be resoled for some reason. Anyway, I will send him the link to EBay if he has any trouble finding anything in the store, and it seems to be a better value than to order something. The major cost may be the labor, but right now it seems worth it to get it back in shape. I think it is a beautiful guitar and and the action is smooth right now. Would get you guys a picture of the bottom holes and headstock work but it is "in the shop" now.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
I'm just guessing but I suspect the extra holes in the lower bout are for both a 1/4" and XLR jack.  My EA20 had that set up.  Not something I ever found of much value.  So again given all the existing mods, I'd look at finding a way to cover the hole and just install the traditional 1/4' jack.  Forget the XLR jack.

Also, the saddle assembly is a bit of a pain in the neck.  You have seven pieces.  A black plastic carrier and six chicklet size white pieces the strings rest on.  I replaced the plastic pieces with bone.  I cut them individually with a Dremel tool.  Made a big difference in the tone.  Under that whole assembly sits the UST for the PU.

Good luck with the project.  Keep us up to date on how things turn out.  You don't have much into the guitar so some $$ spent should be well worth it.

Offline pzager

• View Profile
Thanks evenkeel and Jimsmithsr for your latest feedback and info for me. I really appreciate it.

In talking to Ed the tech guy at the GC yesterday he mentioned that the two wholes in the back were probably what you evenkeel mentioned, and we have the same idea to just keep it the one jack too (it usually is a nice combo of jack and strap holder). I went ahead and sent him some of the feedback you sent me so he has a bit more reference and guiding for this project (hope he doesn't take offense to this, you know some guys are pretty territorial about their work :-). Jim I sent him the pictures you sent me of your AE 36 so that Ed has a good idea of how nice that back black cover plate looks, and I hope he can do something like that for me too...

Again, thanks for all the feedback and support, and hopefully it will all work out well. I will keep you posted on how it is going and hopefully send some finished product pictures.

Might by nice if you guys have any thoughts about amps for the acoustic-electric. I have a Fender Princeton 65 DSP (solid state) that I have had for years that I use primarily with my strat but I have never been really happy with the sound (I bit too tinny for me). I looked at the Fender site and they have a cute looking "Acoustasonic 15" that is reasonable $ but is solid state too (it is a small portable). I think a warmer sounding tube amp may be the way to go here. I do have an old Fender "Pro Jr" portable tube amp that I found on the sidewalk years ago with a "free" sign on it. That has a warmer sound but my daughter is using it now (I just got her a starter Delatone "Excalibur" that came along with the Washburn deal :-).

Offline pzager

• View Profile
Hi Guys,

Have some more interesting possibilities (no...I do work...but I have been sick these last 4 days so I have had ample time to surf the net :-)

I just looked at a possible package deal on CL that would include a Washburn DK 20 CET. I have looked it up and it seems more like a starter guitar (goes for 200-300) but I have a chance to get it (used, I would need to check it out) for about 100.00 (included in a package deal for an Ibanez AS73 - for 200.00- and an acoustic AG15 Amplifier - for 50.00, all together for 350.00). Sounds like a deal I may not be able to refuse, but I would like your input on the Washburn. Would it be a good companion to the AE 36 12 String I just got and setting up to play electric? Or is the guitar just too cheap (quality wise?) to consider, and should I go eventually with something higher quality like what evenkeel mentioned (his EA 20)? I heard a Youtube of the EA 20 and that sounded really good. Should I look around for a good deal on that?

Offline pzager

• View Profile
Jimsmithsr,

The tech "Ed" at the GC wants to know what the dimensions of the Pick Up is for the AE 36. Here are his words:

"Also the preamp from ebay may work did Jimi say it was same dimensions?"

Hopefully somebody will know this, you or evenkeel.

Thanks guys for all your help so far!

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
The tech "Ed" at the GC wants to know what the dimensions of the Pick Up is for the AE 36. Here are his words:
"Also the preamp from ebay may work did Jimi say it was same dimensions?"

The tech should really measure.  Center hole, to center hole and the outside dimensions.  He could install a plate over the existing hole, then install the pre-amp box over that, but that's a last resort solution.

Re: the DK20.  That's a all laminate, cut away dread.  Not a bad thing, but I'd suggest looking at a guitar with at least a solid wood top.  Also the thin body EA20 and your EA36 are really stage guitars.  Terrific amped up, just ok straight acoustic.  So, if you want a 6 string, stage companion to your 12'er then a EA20 would be a good choice.  If you want a better quality acoustic dread, w/ the ability to plug in I'd look for something else all together

Offline pzager

• View Profile
Thanks evenkeel for your info. I have passed it on to the tech guy. Hopefully will have something to show for it soon.

I still hope to take a look at the DK20 as part of a package that includes another electric and an acoustic amp (though these Craig's List deals come and go pretty quickly so I may have lost the chance to check it out already). The guitar would be 100.00 so it would not be a high risk buy. I do have my D-18 Martin that I use primarily as my acoustic so I really don't need another hi quality dread that I could plug in, I just may want to have some fun with a cheap 6 string that I can plug in (and happens to be a Washburn). I do like what I have read about the EA 20 though, so I may go for something like that if I want to have a higher quality plug in.

The whole reason that I fell in with the EA 36 was that I was looking for another 12 string to go with my Giannini (1974) that has real nostalgic value to me but is in fact not a great 12 string (not a solid top). The Giannini is special though and the look is wonderful. It has pulled itself apart in the past and it needs to have the bridge replaced again. It is hard to get it to sound good anymore so I wanted another 12 string that I would enjoy playing. The nice thing is that getting back into talking to people and having these type of interactions is getting me back into guitars and learning a lot. For the past 5-7 years I have been into drumming more and that has taken my musical interest in another direction. But this is great. I never had a acoustic plug in so now the learning process has started in a new way.

I bought my Martin ("82) back in 1985 when I got my first paycheck as a teacher...The Giannini was my first acoustic, and I got it similar to the EA 36, just knowing someone (on the road) who needed the money (about 125.00) back in 1975, my first year in college. It's like one of my best friends who has known me most of my life. Funny how the older instruments and equipment take on another personality the longer you have them, and there is such a strong connection to your past, the memories and experiences that took place when you first got that guitar, etc, what type of person you were. It seems the guitar has grown and changed along with me...