Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1991 Davies production  (Read 4488 times)

Offline itsinthebone

• View Profile
1991 Davies production
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »
Does anyone know what month the 1991 Davies went into production?  It would seem that I have a Davies with the SN#910937

I've been dreaming of this guitar for years and finally had the opportunity to buy one.   I picked it up without knowing much about it.  It would seem I have made a wonderful purchase.   Can someone verify that it actually is a Davies?   From what I have read and researched, it looks to be a legitimate 1991 Davies.  I am super happy with the guitar regardless :)

Thanks for taking a look and reading.  Keep rocking guys/gals!

Offline lone wolf

• View Profile
Re: 1991 Davies production
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:39:09 AM »
Hi,
     Welcome to the forum. Yes you have a Davies, 37th neck produced in September of 91.  Production started very late 1990.  Looks like it still has the Kahler Steeler.  How about a couple of pics of the trem and the jack?  Where did you find your Davies?

Don

Offline itsinthebone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  Wish I knew about the place sooner.   

Here is the trem -   It is definitely the Kahler tremolo.   

I do not have a pic right now of the plug but it is, from what I've seen on the wiki, the barrel plug.  I will
take a picture after I get home from work.

I found it pretty much by chance.   I had been thinking about getting one for the longest time.  I had just recv'd my bonus from my employer and decided to go to Guitar Center (I work in NYC and went to the shop here in the city).   I look around the used equipment and don't see anything that interests me.  So I ask one of the salesmen if they had any N4's in stock.  He runs a search and came up with this used guitar in a GC shop in North Carolina.  The pictures made it look like it was in good shape.  They did not have any SN info or really any info on it.   Just that it was a used N4.   They gave me the whole buy it and if you don't approve you get your money back deal so I said what the hell.  I paid for it on Wednesday afternoon and it was delivered on Friday morning. 

I took it home, jammed on it a bit and fell in love.  I've been playing on it daily and LOVE it.  Then I started to research the guitar a bit more.  Finally came to the conclusion that I think I found a diamond in the rough here, by chance.   I probably paid more than what the normal going for price is but I am OK with that.   What is the normal price for '91 Davies these days anyway?   

It's a lovely guitar, plays like a dream and is everything I hoped the N4 would be.  For a first time owner, I am extremely happy with it.   Again, thanks for the welcome.  I'll def be staying awhile. 

Offline nl_ffx

• View Profile
    • Guitarneed
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
Hi,
Congrats with your guitar. I own (and is for sale on Ebay) a black Davies Washburn N4 of which only 6 were made. It is a very early Davies, serial # is 910201.
I noticed that on your guitar the volume knob is not original. Overall a very nice Davies !
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:13:58 PM by nl_ffx »
Guitars:
Washburn N4 1991 natural
Washburn N4 2009 flame top
Washburn N2 1991
Washburn EA22NB

Offline itsinthebone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 02:02:12 PM »
Yeah, it looks like the volume knob has been changed.  That's not really a big deal, is it?   From what I have experienced with it, there are no issues.   I really haven't been able to crank the volume up as loud as I would like to see if there's any hum or buzzing. 

Offline lone wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
Interesting story. Several others, in the last year, have been lucky like you. Just wanting an N4 and ending up with a Davies.  The volume knob is no big deal, easy to change.  As far as price, hard to say that there is an average. The last few years the prices have been all over the place.

Offline Clean Channel

• View Profile
    • Stephen's Extended Cutaway fanpage
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:25:07 PM »
Congrats on your Davies N4, it looks like a beauty!
My Stephen's Extended Cutaway (SEC) guitars:
1996 Stephen's Model S
1996 Stephen's Model T
1991 'Davies' Washburn N4
1988 Washburn EC36
1994 Washburn DC60-E

Offline itsinthebone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 09:00:25 AM »
Thank you!  :)

Here is a picture of the output jack that I failed to include yesterday.

Here is one of the back of the neck.  I just love the dirty look of it.  It's super smooth and feels great.

Offline lone wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 09:01:30 PM »
Yep, definitely the right jack. You've got a great guitar.

Offline itsinthebone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »
Thanks Wolf! 

I can't believe how lucky I got with this guitar.  I mean, if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.  And here I am finding a '91 Davies by pure chance.   Even if it wasn't a Davies I am sure I would be happy with it anyway.  From what I've read on the forums here, the N series seems to be some of the best playing guitars around.   The only guitar I've played that comes close to the feel of the N4 is the PRS 513.   

Offline Clean Channel

• View Profile
    • Stephen's Extended Cutaway fanpage
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »
Awesome man, glad you're diggin' your N4! 

There's a dedicated legion of players who follow and love these guitars!  Many of them only wish they had a Davies like yours!
My Stephen's Extended Cutaway (SEC) guitars:
1996 Stephen's Model S
1996 Stephen's Model T
1991 'Davies' Washburn N4
1988 Washburn EC36
1994 Washburn DC60-E

Offline Gunghogringo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 06:59:35 PM »
Nice score, I just missed a Davies by 10 minutes at GC for $999, but I've also seen them go for 1800, seems like lately they have been running close to the $1500 mark some more. Some less, nice piece, the one I was going to get was a 2 piece body as most are but they were 2 very different looking pieces and that was probably why the price was so low, I ended up finding a really cool alder one with a maple fingerboard instead which is very rare, so I'm glad I missed it but I ended up paying much more :(
Washburn 2008 N3/n4 , Washburn USA Custom N4 sapele with aged copper hardware, Washburn N4 Alder and maple board  , Washburn N4 Swamp Ash 2.0, Washburn N61,Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II, ESP George Lynch SKull and Snakes , Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace in Emerald Green Tolex And tan grill