Username: Password:

Author Topic: How many HM80s where made?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline PovD@wg

• View Profile
How many HM80s where made?
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »
I bought my HM-80 back in about 1984, it was the coolest thing I ever saw.  I was a kid and bought it with my paper route money.  I've never been able to get too much info on it, even from my buddies at Washburn.  Mine's  black with red binding, red dot inlays rather than the sharkfins, it has a hockey-stick shaped headstock and there's no serial numbers anywhere, not even under the Wonderbar trem.  I do know it was made in Japan (a time when Japanese guitars were among the best guitars) It retailed for $799 back then.  I was told once that they were produced for Washburn's Touring Artists and were also available to dealers that made large purchases.  Anybody know anything, can confirm my info or have any other info?  Thanx! :D

Offline M.James

• View Profile
Re: How many HM80s where made?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
I've been following these instruments for a few months now....not much known about them.

There were 100 made, distributed through dealerships.  Some markings exist in the neck pocket. 

I have one of the 'newer' black guitars with the pointed headstock - Indonesian build with EMGs and Buzz F. tuning.  Neck-through construction, while all HM-80s were bolt-on neck construction. 

If anyone has a white one with black binding, I am VERY interested in purchasing....

I'd also be interested in hearing what happened to the Robert Palmer guitar.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:55:02 PM by M.James »

Offline castillo13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
I have an hm 80 I'm trying to get rid of. If anyone is interested email at jccastillo619@ yahoo.com thanks , its black  and red

Offline M.James

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »
Can you take some pics and send to me at Cavallino_Rapante@yahoo.com?