Username: Password:

Author Topic: Will Washburn Dime guitars be back in production? *Repost*  (Read 12965 times)

Offline † Saint Barnabas III †

• View Profile
Will Washburn Dime guitars be back in production? *Repost*
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »
I saw this and wanted to re post it as it's a few years old and being able to have Washburn Dime guitars back in production would be the s**t!

"I know this topic has been explored before but I would like to bring it up again because I think its important.

I called up Washburn's custom shop awhile ago and asked if I could get me a Washburn USA Dime 3ST Stealth made, there reply was a regretful no, after I explained that I was extremely disappointed, they told me that the reason why is because Dean Guitars and Vinnie Paul have the Copyright © to that shape. They also mentioned to me that Washburn is more than willing to re-make the Washburn Dime guitars that we all know and love but they cannot do it until they get the OK from Vinnie Paul to go ahead and Getter Done. They also told me that in a few years(maybe sooner than we all think) they may be making the Dime guitars again if all goes well.

If I was to write to Dean guitars & or Vinnie Paul I would probably write something like this: Dear Dean Guitars (& or) Vinnie Paul, many of us Dime guitar fans feel left out, I understand & feel that its important to honor Dime and continue to make the Dean Dime guitars but what about us Dime guitar fans in general? I think I speak for a good majority of Dime guitar fans when I say we miss the Washburn Dime 333 Series & the USA 3/3ST Custom Shop guitars. Many Washburn Dime USA 3/3ST fans are either stuck paying an arm and a leg for a used Washburn Dime USA 3/3ST or paying an arm, a leg & foot to have one custom made by private luthiers.

I ask of you Please! give Washburn the Rights© to build Dime guitars again, If not for the fans, for the legacy of Brother Dime and his amazing Washburn guitars that many of us grew up wishing & dreaming we could own...

Thank you for your time-

Bradley Brunette..."
†SDMF†

• View Profile
Re: Will Washburn Dime guitars be back in production? *Repost*
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply aggtex. I'm a pretty new dean and washburn fan and wasn't really sure where this issue stood so that's why i reposted it.
But now i know so thanks for the info and i'll keep checking for those second hand washies!
†SDMF†

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:37:59 AM »
I will buy that book for sure. Thanks for the info
†SDMF†

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 01:40:44 AM »
Which is the Dean you like?
†SDMF†

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »
I think if i were to save up for a USA dime model of some sort, i'd go for a Washburn now. sounds like in general they are of much better quality and the dimeslime finish is one of the best looking finishes IMO.
†SDMF†

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »
My budget will only be £300 - £400 and that's once I've sold a Mexican strat of mine. so i'll only be able to afford a import model - that's the 333's right?. where were the imports manufactured? also i would be happy with any finish, dimeslime, dimebolt - were any import rebel flags ever made? Would also probably go for a culprit if one happened to be for sale once I've sold my strat. other issue being i'm in England and not sure how many made it over here....
†SDMF†

Offline vheissu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »
My budget will only be £300 - £400 and that's once I've sold a Mexican strat of mine. so i'll only be able to afford a import model - that's the 333's right?. where were the imports manufactured? also i would be happy with any finish, dimeslime, dimebolt - were any import rebel flags ever made? Would also probably go for a culprit if one happened to be for sale once I've sold my strat. other issue being i'm in England and not sure how many made it over here....

I'm in the UK as well, and they rock up almost every week or two on eBay. Just gotta keep an eye out. The 333 is one of the import models yes, if memory serves they were made in Korea(?) but I'm sure aggtex would be able to clarify on that (Most of what I know about these guitars I've learned from reading his posts.)

You mention the culprit, a signed one sold in the UK for as little as £200 maybe 3-4 weeks ago. Just keep checking a couple of times a week, plenty of them come up!! It's actually surprising how many of the Washburn Dimes ended up over here, especially seeing as Washburn aren't all that big this side of the pond.

Personally I would really like a black dimebolt, but have been banned from buying any more guitars for the time being (unless they're blinding deals.)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
Brilliant. Once my strat's sold I'll be on the hunt. will keep checking the bay.
I think the culprit you mentioned is the same one i posted a link to on here just to let you all know one was for sale. But nice to hear that washburn dimes aren't as rare as I thought!
By the way you guys on here have all been very nice and helpful which is always a bonus - so thanks basically  :)
†SDMF†

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:57:15 AM »
I'm not after a stealth but if you think it's a good deal for you then why don't you ask for more detailed pics. or go see it in person if it's near by? or has it been sold?
†SDMF†

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I'll just keep checking eBay a lot each day like you said.
And I'm sure a stealth will pop up near you soon. Did you ever meet Dime living near him and all?
†SDMF†

• View Profile
†SDMF†

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
I am one of those new generation Pantera fans  :D Recently turned 16 and was gonna buy a 333 or dean with birthday money. but considering i won't have much time to jam these next few month because of exams, i think i'll delay the search. then maybe with the sale of some gear, saved money and money from a summer job i can think about a USA model? always wanted an N4 too - love Nuno and Extreme - so could possibly save for a second hand one. just an idea at the mo, but will wait and think harder about what i really want and what will be the better investment for me...
†SDMF†

Offline carl300367

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »
not a pantera fan myself

but whats the difference between the washburn and the dean ?

which did he actually use
1981 Eagle
1980 falcon
1980 hawk
1984 tokai superstrat
1984 tokai love rock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 01:15:04 PM »
He used both but at different times in his life. I don't know exact dates but it goes something like this:

Dime started using Dean guitars (ML model to be specific) when he was a teenager and used Deans for a large chunk of his life. But at some point in the 90's -i think '95- Dean went bust and stopped making guitars which meant Dime no longer had a company to make him guitars and when your part of such a massive touring band like PanterA you need more than just a couple of guitars at your disposal. So he turned to Washburn who started to make him signature guitars. Dime was back in business with a line of new bad ass guitars which look quite similar to the Dean ML's but they have their own uniqueness.
However Dime was very found of Deans - and having met Dean Zelinsky when he was quite young - he felt very loyal to them and so when Dean got going again, Dime switched back in 2004 i think. And in that short period he was with them before he passed he helped design the razorback.

Or something like that...  :)
†SDMF†