Username: Password:

Author Topic: Uneven Pickup in J28SCEDL  (Read 3113 times)

Offline aksi

• View Profile
Uneven Pickup in J28SCEDL
« on: April 07, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
So, folks, anyone have an idea on this one? --

I have a Cumberland J28SCEDL that I flat love.  I usually play it strictly acoustic, even though it has the built-in pre-amp and end-pin jack.

Did a gig a couple months back where I figured I'd just plug in to save time with mics.  That was the first time I noticed that there was very muted response from the G (third) string no matter how I twiddled the nobs, but the B (second) had extra punch.

I'm not a luthier or guitar tech, so I'd like to know

(a) has anyone run into this issue, and

(b) does anyone have an idea of how to adjust the pickups?

Many thanks, and keep on.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: Uneven Pickup in J28SCEDL
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »
Welcome, can you take the saddle off , and move the ust?  Or see if there is a uneven spot or uneven shim?   Tom.   :)

Offline aksi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »
Hey, Tom,

Thanks for the tip.  When I got a little down-time, I did man up and pop out the saddle.  There was a small shim under the E and B and G, and under that the metal pickup plate.

I considered this a scouting mission, so I put everything back as is.  The G came up a little, but there's still a jump when you pick the B.

Think I should remove the shim next time?  If I had a better idea of why it's there in the first place, I'd have a better sense of how to handle it.

Thanks a lot again.  Good to know there's a community here!

Andy

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 09:34:01 PM »
I am sure the shim was there for a reason. You might take it off and see if a new thickness of shim would be more helpful.  Tom.  :)