Username: Password:

Author Topic: washburn lyon  (Read 1578 times)

Offline forby69

• View Profile
washburn lyon
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »
hi there all and i would like to start with a big thanks to forum for helping me out and would like to say that my  D10 SZ has got its mojo back  by stringing with elixir light medium nanoweb 12 - 56   pricey at $20 in the uk  but worth it   no  disrespect to slinkies but not for my baby and i must be the only person in the uk with a D10 SZ   only 500 made worldwide so sought after any how i also have a  LYON  made be Washburn LD 7 -M with a serial no of  9301018 SO COULD SOMEONE VERIFY where and when this was  made as it is a quality piece of timber  regards in advance  forby would like to ad that it has an under saddle pickup and the volume and tone knobs are on the shoulder and  and connects through the strap button on the base of the bout and i shone a torch inside and the band that it is all glued up to is a solid piece of wood and not the catterpiller track type that are used now , dont know if they used to steam the timber into shapes then or what  they used to form the shapes  thanks again  forby
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:30:42 AM by forby69 »

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: washburn lyon
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 09:40:38 PM »

any how i also have a  LYON  made be Washburn LD 7 -M with a serial no of  9301018 SO COULD SOMEONE VERIFY where and when this was  made as it is a quality piece of timber  regards in advance  forby

It is almost certainly a Lyon Dreadnought (the LD portion) model 7 with mahogany sides and back (the M portion), an all-laminate guitar.

Lyon guitars are sold in big-box stores like WalMart and Target in a "kit" that includes a gig bag and probably a pitch pipe to help with tuning.  We have some forum traffic on Lyon guitars, but not much.  Most of the time those who buy the Lyon pieces regret not having saved up for a while more and buying a true Washburn...as I recall the primary problem comes with the tuners.  The guitar would be a nice campfire piece, but nowhere near as desirable as your Zebra-wood D10S model.

As for year of manufacture, it's difficult to say, might be 1993, but probably not, more likely a 2009.  Some of the Washburn models use the first two numbers of the serial number to designate the year of manufacture, the others use just the first number.  How old does the piece look?

I have an OLD Harmony all-laminate guitar...folk size....steel string, neck has a truss rod, but the fretboard is flat, like a classical guitar, rather than radiused like a steel-string guitar.  It sounds OK when there is nothing else to play...but up against even my least expensive name brand guitar it doesn't compare too well.  It is cool looking, though....got a tobacco sunburst finish on it...you say that yours is a quality piece of lumber, so perhaps it might be a true 1993 piece, the industry was using better materials back in those days...but not anywhere as desirable techniques.

Got any pics? There are some historians here on the forum who might well know something about it.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: washburn lyon
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 10:31:06 PM »
I just trade my D10SZ.  Nice guitar, just 8 Dreads is to many,  LOL.  Beautiful wood and sound though. Hope one of the guys or gals from here goes on line and gets it.     Tom. :)