Username: Password:

Author Topic: cleaning guitar  (Read 1870 times)

Offline forby69

• View Profile
cleaning guitar
« on: April 24, 2013, 04:13:54 PM »
Hi there , just been  watching a  program on changing guitar strings with justin sendercote a respected guitar teacher ,and when he removed the strings from his acoustic ,which was a high end  guitar from ausie and he cleaned it down with  Glass cleaner which he has used for years , whats the view of the forum  regards forby  hi  just wated to add that he removed all of the strings as he he said it would not cause any  neck stress problems  as it was being restrung  within an hour or 2 which was ok  forby
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:37:48 PM by forby69 »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: cleaning guitar
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:26:44 PM »
What do you mean, like Windex?  I would never argue with a well known teacher or so.  But I will stick with my Marten spray polish made for guitars.  I remove all my strings at once , and clean the neck with Planet Waves Lemon Oil.    Tom.  :)  Lightly damp water cloth first than oil and rub clean and dry.   :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:28:33 PM by t.y. »

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »
The general rule of thumb re: cleaning  is..... "Less is Best".  Keep the guitar clean, use a dry chamois (a'ka old cotton t-shirt) regularly and use the commercial cleaners very, very sparingly.

Offline martavals1990

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:07:38 AM »
Totally agree with evenkeel.
Keep it clean so you dont have to clean it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:30:23 AM by martavals1990 »

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »
For an unfinished fretboard, I clean with a quality lemon oil, like Planet Waves sells. I got that advice from a shop that sells $5,000 violins, so I figure they know what they're doing. If the board is gunky, I wet it down with drops of lemon oil, rub it to cover, wait a few minutes, & scrub the gunk off with a clean rag, then I sparingly put on more oil to keep the wood conditioned.

Yah, wipe the fretboard down thoroughly after playing it. This'll also make your strings last longer.

As for the body, I first take a clean rag & LIGHTLY wipe off the dust, so as not to scrub grit into the finish. Then I go after it with a rag dampened in pure water. Any crud remaining might get localized treatment with alcohol or, yes, Windex, but I resist doing this with a new guitar that's still super-glossy as I don't want to matte it prematurely.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/