Username: Password:

Author Topic: Please help me ID this old Washburn  (Read 11133 times)

Offline paulhoatson

• View Profile
Please help me ID this old Washburn
« on: May 12, 2013, 04:39:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have been exploring your site all day (and a lot of Google!) and still can't pin down exactly what guitar this is. I live in South Africa and have the opportunity to buy this guitar for about $300 (Just remember we pay a lot more here for guitars than what you would in the US). The seller has owned it from new and says she brought it between 1990 - 1993 (I'm guessing it was manufactured a few years before then as stuff usually takes a while to reach us). There is no label on the inside, just the George Washburn stamp but a big clue (it seems) is that it features the EQ300 system with the little white slider knobs. From what I can gather, according to http://www.vintagewashburn.com this dates it between 1987 and 1992, whereafter the Equis II replaced the EQ300. Unfortunately she says the EQ300 is no longer working - are these repairable?

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me ID this old Washburn
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »
Welcome.  That is a EA Festival series guitar, and could go for 300.00 over here, and has nice OHSC.  Yes,  if there is nothing wrong with it, I would get it before someone else does.   Tom.  :) Besides the EQ I mean, that is no big deal.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:15:01 PM by t.y. »

Offline paulhoatson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 12:42:41 AM »
Tom, thanks for the reply...appreciated. I had figured out that it was an EA but I'm trying to get some direction on what model it is? How do I know if it's an EA20 or an EA40 etc? I'm going to try and get a serial number...

Thanks a mil.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:16:17 AM »
That is not as easy to answer with the info available.  Some one with more knowledge than me might be able to give you a little more help, but know one has spoke up yet.  So as they say, don't hold your breath.  LOL.    Tom.  :)  P.S.   If it is in nice shape, it is worth 300.00 no matter what level.  Especially since you say there hard to find there or are more expensive. :) 

Offline paulhoatson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »
Tom, thanks for your time and effort.

I haven't seen the guitar yet because it's a bit of a way to travel - the seller cannot find the serial number anywhere. I sent her a pic I found on this forum of where to find the serial number but she says there ain't nothing there...hhmmm, judging from the pics I have and the history of the guitar (Bought from a legitimate music shop by her) I'm pretty sure its genuine - anyone ever seen a fake one of these?

Any suggestions on where else I can look if she is correct and the serial number is not there?

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »
You may not find a serial number. and since this is not a 2,000 guitar it is very rare it would be faked. It should be in the usual places.  I still say if you like it and it plays good, jump on it.  :)    Tom.  :)

Offline paulhoatson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:02:36 PM »
Thanks Tom.

I did already buy it  :) See my next post with all the pics - it's in incredible shape...I can barely find a scratch on it! The action is a bit high though so need to have that lowered a touch. Also, when the strings are off, the bridge part (not sure of the technical term but the little white bits that the strings sit on) is loose (actually can come out)...Is this normal or something that needs attention? 

Never had a Washburn before and I like it a lot more than the Taylor T5 I just sold...and I paid a fifth of the price I got for that...

You said that the fact that the electronics are not working is no big deal - is that because they are repairable or is it better to replace it with something newer? I've taken them apart and there is nothing obvious (loose wires etc)...not sure what my next step should be.

Really appreciate your efforts to help me!

Thanks,

Paul

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:57:37 PM »
There are a few post on here about your type of saddle.  There are at least three guys on here experienced with the Chiclet  <? saddle.  Some have made there own out of bone.   IMHO it is faster and easier to change, if the problem is not easy to find.  Also there was someone on here not to long ago talking about changing the electronics.  If I had went to town and saw that for 300.00 I would of brought it straight home.  I have been talking on here for a year or more I want a Burst one.  I have a WMJ21S and a few D10S's different styles, I will not get rid of. I and lots of others understand When you say you like this guitar as well as  some other brands.   At the local store a few guys have played  ( used to be)  my three Exotic Woods and talk about how nice they are.    I might try and get them back, as they sit in the front window and don't get messed with.  Tom.  :)

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »
Hello Paul,

I am a proud owner of a 90's Washburn Festival EA20B MiK (the 'B' stands for the color), it has the chiclet style saddle and chrome Washburn tuners, plastic nut and bridge pins...  so what else does a modder like me do...  add my own improvements and design to my aesthetics...  :)

I shaped my own custom transparent sweat guard and pickguard (the scratches are from my friends pick and fingernails) :(   - thankful i made the scratch guard.

Serial number is printed on paper inside the body and can be viewed through the oval soundhole (if paper is missing then your missing the serial number, that would make it impossible to date)

Washburn Equis II EQ300 powered by 9volt battery (clip on the bottom of the preamp, can be accessed through the soundhole)

I upgraded the original chrome Washburn tuners to Grover 18:1 tuners black.  The Grovers are much much nicer tuners, it really compliments the Graphtech nut and bridge pins...  all three contribute to a tight perfect tuning stability.
I also put 'Sakura flower' inlay stickers on the headstock, 'sakura petals' as fret markers and couple more 'sakura' on the bridge to bring out some flavor.

The Washburn preamp is powered by a battery, have you tried changing the 9volt battery?  Can be access through the oval soundhole.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:45:56 PM by psp742 »
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
Bantam 96 XB400 Bttrsctch, 98 XB500 Bk, 94 XB600 BkFlam
Maverick  98 BTM MR/MB, 97 BT3 Rd, BT-4 Tobacobrst, 97 BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Idol 05 WI36 Bk, 05 WI64 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na
Wing 84 T-bird Tobacobrst

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 12:29:49 PM »
Like the pick guard, can barely  see it.    Tom.  :)

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »
Hello Paul, did you ever find out the model number or country of origin for your guitar? I have just bought a natural one, which is identical to yours, also without a label.
Cheers
Pete.

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »
Not entirely sure yet, but I think it,so an EA30.