Username: Password:

Author Topic: A Washburn WI-64 that's slightly out of the ordinary.  (Read 6335 times)

Offline TacticalVirus

• View Profile
A Washburn WI-64 that's slightly out of the ordinary.
« on: May 27, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »
So I've got a Washburn on layaway at a local pawn shop. I was hunting around the web for any kind of mention of this guitar, but so far, all I've found is the PLAB (amber burst) version, no mention or pictures of a blue pearloid WI-64. Wanted to give you guys a few pictures while I try and learn more about it from Washburn Customer Support.

Cheers

Offline TacticalVirus

• View Profile
Re: A Washburn WI-64 that's slightly out of the ordinary.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »
Well, Washburn Customer Support got back to me. They have no record of a blue variant being produced and suggested it was a repaint. That's obviously a possibility, but I have a feeling that this whole guitar must have been produced by a proper Custom Shop at some point in its life. The finish looks superb with no detectable difference in the black to blue fade, and the stickers haven't been disturbed, so if someone did take a PLAB and repaint it blue, they did a ridiculously good job blending, far better than I've ever seen from any custom paint shop. Plus the different pick-guard, pickup covers, and headstock...

Either way, Repaint or Original Custom, I have a unique Washburn on my hands, definitely going to hold on to this for a very long time!

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:25:13 PM »
TacticalVirus, that sir is a ridiculous looking paint job... It does look like it is a custom shop model, too bad there is no record of her creation... BTW, is it MiA or MiK, just wondering...  Washburn has been notorious for poor record keeping on the products they made.  There are so many guitars and bass that are so obscure and limited that information is almost impossible to come by...  Thanks to Meker, Talk-bass forum member, for exerting all efforts in searching for expanding the Bass knowledge...  :)

the Pearloid-like finish looks almost like shiny fish scale in some of the pictures you posted.

Absolutely beautiful geetar.  Congrats on your find.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:28:38 PM by psp742 »
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
Bantam 96 XB400 Bttrsctch, 98 XB500 Bk, 94 XB600 BkFlam
Maverick  98 BTM MR/MB, 97 BT3 Rd, BT-4 Tobacobrst, 97 BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Idol 05 WI36 Bk, 05 WI64 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na
Wing 84 T-bird Tobacobrst

Offline whoomit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:24:03 AM »
Holy cow  :o

I'll trade you my black '99 WI64  ;D

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 12:17:39 PM »
 What ever it is, you have one fancy guitar there.  Very nice find, and not one you see every day.  It is a real keeper.  Tom.  :)

Offline psp742

• View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 08:05:38 PM »
i just saw this on eBAY... it looks exactly like your Washburn WI64 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/WASHBURN-WI64PL-Electric-Guitar-considered-highly-collectible-/290924673446

The information:

Washburn WI64PL guitar

Serial number is ?????????

2 humbucker pickups

2 volumes,2 tones, w/pickup selector switch

Beautiful Tobaco pearloid finish with matching headstock,pickup covers,electronic plate.

Mahogany body and neck

Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays

Buzz feiten Grover tuners

Tune-o-matic bridge

24" 3/4 scale

Pearloid pickup guard

Gold hardware

Custom pearloid golden knobs

22 frets

Set neck

Soft case

All Credit for information goes to: Gambu5ino
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na

Offline TacticalVirus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 11:29:48 PM »
@ PSP742; that would be the standard WI-64PL, aka the WI-64PLAB (PearLoid Amber Burst). There's supposedly anywhere between 50-300 PLABs that were manufactured as a specific run for a retailer....forget which one at the moment, possibly Music123? There's postings here and other places on the internet about PLABs. Which is why I think this has to be a super-low production run or possibly one-off custom, since the only pictures of a blue pearloid Idol to be found on the internet are ones posted by me.

As for it's origin, I'm 90% sure it's MiA, forgot to take a picture of the back of the headstock so I can't confirm until I pick it up on Friday. Made in October of 2000.

@ T.y. & whoomit; Thanks!

Offline psp742

• View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 12:17:17 AM »
TacticalVirus, thanks for the correction...  i am guessing some of the specs should be similar in some ways...  but your PLAB would definitely have better tone-wood, hardware and pickups.  btw, how much did you have to pay out to acquire such a beauty?  (that is if you don't mind me asking)
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na

Offline tmckibbi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 10:41:34 AM »
Hi Tactical Virus,

I just found your post yesterday (from 2013) about the blue pearloid WI-64.  This was (or at least is from the same run as) my older brother's guitar.  He bought it from a music store (maybe Axe Music?) in Calgary in about 2001.  He lent it to my twin brother and I for a while in 2001 or 2002 as we were learning guitar and it is the first guitar I ever played.

I found out a few years ago that he sold it sometime (I would have guessed around 2010) when he wasn't playing much guitar.  Whether this was to a pawn shop, music store, or individual buyer I'm not sure, but it would likely have been sold somewhere in Alberta or maybe Northern BC.

I had no idea this blue pearloid guitar was so rare.  Frankly, I haven't seen a Washburn anywhere locally for a long time.

My brother died last year and I would love to have this guitar as a way to remember him.  I ran into the images from your post on a Google search for "blue Washburn guitar". I would pay generously if you're willing to sell.

If anyone else has one of these please let me know!

Troy
byutroy@gmail.com