Username: Password:

Author Topic: WD10SCE.  (Read 4933 times)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
WD10SCE.
« on: June 13, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »
 :)   Just thought I would link this, for those sitting on the fence, Thinking about this guitar.  Hope you have a nice stereo hooked up to your puter. I think this rings just perfect.  These new WD10SCE are lighter, but they ring so clear & long.   The next perfect one, I see, used or new in a store, I am buying.   I only wish every thing had worked out better for me, on my first one of these, when they first came out.    Tom.   :)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: WD10SCE.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:40:20 PM »
Helps to leave the link.     :-[       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bMaXfgXwKY

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »
Nice.  D10's of any flavour always impress me.  Lot's of bang for the buck.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 07:27:18 PM »
I put in a lot of time exploring the new Washburn offerings in the past couple of years.

The new WD10S is much lighter than the old D10S series.

Now, that may or may not be a good thing.  I am of the opinion that a thin soundboard yields the best sound available...and is lighter, which can't be all bad.

Having said that, though, I must admit that my new WMJ21S guitars both seem to be more substantially build than my WGO26SWCE, which is larger.  The WGO has a VERY nice voice....when played with a pick. It's not much for fingerstyle. The WMJ21S seem to be good both fingerstyle as well as strummed with a pick.

The WD10series seems to be (perhaps) Washburn's bread-and-butter line....at least in the acoustics.  It'll probably always be around...but if I had my choice, I'd take Shiner's D10S over any of the new ones, perhaps even over my WMJs...it played like an electric and sounded great played both fingerstyle and with a pick...and felt like a quality piece, which the lightweight offerings of recent years don't.

The proof about whether they are better products will lie in the longevity, IMHO.  Will a lighter guitar last as long as one made more "robustly"?  My D61SW(CE) has been around a long time, built like a battleship....we'll see how the more recent Washburn offerings compare in a couple of decades.

Cheers!!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »
The D10S that I have from when they changed owners, the one were there is only 70 of them. It is made in the old factory, but has a different head stock and bridge. It also  is lighter, but it gets loud real easy and is clear as a bell.   From the Breed loves & the Sea Gulls  & the PRS, I have been playing, the more expensive, ones have thinner sound boards.  And they play great to a real light finger touch.  I am not trying to say my D10S is as nice as a 1000.00 Breed Love, but it is very nice. Tom.  :)

Offline jmur25

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger (probably Monday) on a WD10SCE. What I'm unsure of is that now I've also seen a WD10CE.  Only difference is the Fishman.  I'm new here (and looking forward to becoming an active member once I purchase), but I've done my due diligence first before asking but couldn't find the answer here.  It may be I missed it. Age, I guess?  Anyway can anyone say what the difference is between the Fishman Isys+ and  Fishman Isys+/301T?  On the Washburn I'm interested in it makes a $100.00 difference.  Any info is appreciated, and I hope to be a part of this forum, with my new Washburn.  Thanks!

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 11:33:52 PM »
From the Breed loves & the Sea Gulls  & the PRS, I have been playing, the more expensive, ones have thinner sound boards.  And they play great to a real light finger touch.  I am not trying to say my D10S is as nice as a 1000.00 Breed Love, but it is very nice. Tom.  :)

My Breedlove Custom Shop 000 is very heavy...but you are right about the harmonics and the sustain...they are clear as a bell and seem to ring forever! The soundboard isn't particularly thin...but the nut and saddle are one of Bob Colosi's premium products and I credit them for the characteristics I mentioned. I'm sure the weight of the guitar comes from the tonewoods...ziricote for the sides and back, redwood for the soundboard. Ziricote is said to rival Brazilian Rosewood for tone qualtity.

The thinnest soundboard I've ever seen is on my Hippner Classical...that guitar impresses EVERYONE with its volume. What impresses me is the complexity of the tones, the sensitivity to left hand technique...the ease with which it plays.  On the downside, it seems to emphasize everything, including...no, especially... my mistakes  :-[

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger (probably Monday) on a WD10SCE. What I'm unsure of is that now I've also seen a WD10CE.  Only difference is the Fishman.  On the Washburn I'm interested in it makes a $100.00 difference.  Any info is appreciated, and I hope to be a part of this forum, with my new Washburn.  Thanks!

Not exactly...the difference is primarily in the soundboard.

The soundboard on the WD10SCE is solid wood spruce, whereas the soundboard on the WD10CE is "select" spruce, which means a laminate product.  With a solid wood soundboard the sound of the guitar will improve with use and age, with a laminate soundboard the sound you get right out of the box is as good as it will ever be.  My WGO26SCE has the 301T pickup, the one with the separate bass and treble controls. Looks like the Isys + does, too.  Here, take a look at the Isys, the Isys+ and the Isys T:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fishman+isys+%2B&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=mrnPUcL-NuXM0gHVyYDYCA&sqi=2&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=933#facrc=_&imgrc=B6jLp6Ko_LKTFM%3A%3B2_RgZqSeYy59IM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.edenguitarparts.com%252Fpictures%252FEQ%252FISYS.JPG%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.diyguitars.net%252FFishman_ISYS_Preamp_Phase_Tuner_for_Acoustic_Guitar%252Fp1749502_8105609.aspx%3B600%3B367

I wonder if the difference might be between the combo battery box/jack and a separate battery box and jack...not much info on the Fishman website regarding the difference.

I'll get a chance to find out tomorrow night how the Isys system sounds through a bar PA...will let you know.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 08:38:11 AM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 03:11:44 AM »
Welcome, What Y.D. says, is the most important difference in the guitars you are looking at.  It will be worth it to get the solid top, IMHO,  that's what the S stands for. I have never heard a WD10CE, but I had a WD10SCE, and it was loud and clear, and was well balanced from high to low. The Fishman on mine was nice with the built in tuner.  Also if you have not seen one in person, the WD10SCE looks very nice, with its in lays and Rosette. <?,  And the fancy center on the back, the front and back match on inlays.   Good luck, and hope you enjoy which ever guitar you buy.  Tom.  :)

Offline jmur25

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 09:43:17 AM »
Thank you folks. Very clear info.  Yes, I am going to go with the solid top.  Much appreciated the help!