Username: Password:

Author Topic: D-25 Question  (Read 2302 times)

Offline berlingoff

• View Profile
D-25 Question
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »
I recently purchased a D-25. It has the Martin style headstock, abalone inlaid binding and rossette. I really would like to get some information on how old it is and what materials it is made from. I have seen conflicting information as to solid vs laminated top, spruce vs cedar top. I requested information from Washburn support and they sent me a catalog page of a different version of the D-25 with the V topped headstocks. Not sure if the information from that is accurate.

There are two numbers inside the guitar, I believe 84601 is the serial number, the other number is 122600 with an N above it.

Thanks for the assistance!

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: D-25 Question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »

There are two numbers inside the guitar, I believe 84601 is the serial number, the other number is 122600 with an N above it.

Others may have more information....your guitar could be an '84 model, or an '88 or '98 model....I can't recall, the 6 digit serial numbers and 5 digit serial numbers have a different system for designating the date of manufacture.

I can tell you that the chances are quite good that the soundboard is laminate, and most likely (but not for sure) spruce. As wood ages and the finish ages they both assume a more golden hue, which could make the spruce look decidedly cedar colored; however, Washburn did make some cedar-top guitars, so maybe someone else will have the blue book info on it.  The reason I say laminate is that for a long time if a Washburn had a solid wood top, the model number would be followed by a "S" and if the guitar were made of all-solid woods the model number would be followed by "SW".  Since your model number is apparently just D25, it would seem that the guitar has a laminate product.

The Martin style headstock might fix the manufacture date as '84....IIRC there was a time when the Washburns were made in the orient and imported by a company by the name of "Beckman"....I seem to remember that a lot of them had the Martin style headstock.

Hopefully one of our historians will be along to firm up the data. Have you tried the search function?

Cheers!

Doug
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 02:52:09 PM »
I recently purchased a D-25. It has the Martin style headstock, abalone inlaid binding and rossette. I really would like to get some information on how old it is and what materials it is made from. I have seen conflicting information as to solid vs laminated top, spruce vs cedar top. I requested information from Washburn support and they sent me a catalog page of a different version of the D-25 with the V topped headstocks. Not sure if the information from that is accurate.

Check out this link:  http://vintagewashburn.com/Acoustic/JimSmithCollection2.html  About halfway down should be yours.  Dug is correct about this being a Beckman-era guitar, and your serial number would probably date it to 1978.  My guess on this would be laminate spruce top, laminate mahogany back and sides.
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV

ship of fools

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 07:43:05 AM »
Not a Beckmen guitar ( 74-77 ) at that point it is a cross over from Beckmen ( but it could be left over parts from the Beckmen Japanese Factory that built them for Washburn ) to when Rudy S bought the company. More then likely it is a laminate top guitar as they were marking most of the guitars at that time with the S for solid tops. ship

Offline berlingoff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 12:20:13 PM »

Check out this link:  http://vintagewashburn.com/Acoustic/JimSmithCollection2.html  About halfway down should be yours. 

That is exactly what it looks like. I got it for $100. Sounds really nice, tuners are garbage. Do not think there is a lot of value in it. (Correct me if I am wrong please). Good for my daughters to learn on!

Thanks for the information. Nice to be able to talk to knowledgeable folks!

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »
Not a Beckmen guitar ( 74-77 ) at that point it is a cross over from Beckmen ( but it could be left over parts from the Beckmen Japanese Factory that built them for Washburn ) to when Rudy S bought the company. More then likely it is a laminate top guitar as they were marking most of the guitars at that time with the S for solid tops. ship

Thanks for the clarification ship.  I see the Martin-style headstock and immediately think Beckman.  Probably should read up on it a little more.

That is exactly what it looks like. I got it for $100. Sounds really nice, tuners are garbage. Do not think there is a lot of value in it. (Correct me if I am wrong please). Good for my daughters to learn on!

Nice score.  Its always fun when you can get nice gear for a good price.
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV