Username: Password:

Author Topic: EA36 Turquoise sparkle!  (Read 7247 times)

Offline ChrisTide

• View Profile
EA36 Turquoise sparkle!
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:09:43 PM »
Last week i found this at my local GC for $300. I HAD TO have it!
Since it has a Equis Gold preamp, I'm GUESSING it's a '96…or thereabouts.
Anyway, it's hardly been played! The frets are in pristine condition.
I have never seen this color on any EA model before, and the only one I could find of any Washburn was of a hollowbody electric.
So…I'm guessing it may have been a custom order.
Yes, it's a laminate…and it's perfect!
In the early 90's I had a black EA20 with Equis II. Still wonder why I got rid of it…maybe because of all the hair bands using them on MTV's "Unplugged"  :)

This guy here…is a guitar worth it's weight in gold.
If you have seen this color before or have comments, please post!
Neck straight, electronics work just fine…my new gig machine!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:50:56 PM by ChrisTide »

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
Re: EA36 Turquoise sparkle!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 07:08:06 AM »
Hello Chris,

I am not an authority in determining the model of your beautiful guitar..  But i agree that it may be a custom Washburn EA36 Marquee, some specs are listed on - www.washburn.com/about/ there is a portion that mentions history of Washburn and the year model made..  check 1995 and 1996, the 95' Festival states Equis II and fishman electronics and gold Grover tuners, while 96' has Equis gold preamp..

The Washburn catalog can be access here - www.washburn.com/media/catalog.php

I agree with Tom, but I'm going to rephrase it "a well made laminate acoustic guitar will always be better than a poorly made solid wood acoustic."
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
Bantam 96 XB400 Bttrsctch, 98 XB500 Bk, 94 XB600 BkFlam
Maverick  98 BTM MR/MB, 97 BT3 Rd, BT-4 Tobacobrst, 97 BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Idol 05 WI36 Bk, 05 WI64 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na
Wing 84 T-bird Tobacobrst

Offline ChrisTide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »
Thank you! All those little info pages and pdf's of catalogs are awesome, but confusing when every year is not represented... made my head spin :)

Anyway, it seems i found my color on the 1997 price list!
SPT - SPARKLE TURQUIOSE
It was REALLY hard to read the serial number because of the sparkle, but between my 10yr old daughter, my wife and myself, we have determined that it
is 86126043. So…I'm even more confused right now! lol

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 12:24:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Great pics.  Here is some more info, just to add to your confusion level.  FWIW the whole festival series is very confusing.  Lots of examples of variations, one off's, exceptions etc..

EA36/EA46 (MARQUEE)
- single sharp cutaway thin body, flame/bird's-eye maple top/back/sides, three-stripe bound body, 6 or 9 diagonal sound channels, mahogany neck, 14/23-fret extended rosewood bound fingerboard with pearl diamond inlay, flame maple or rosewood veneer on bound peghead, three-per-side pearl button gold diecast tuners, rosewood bridge with pearl dot black pins, acoustic bridge pickup, Equis Gold preamp, available in Blue, Natural, Tobacco Sunburst, or Vintage Sunburst finish, mfg. late 1980s-1997.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $500 - 600 $275 - 325
Last MSR was $1,000.
Add 25% for Blue finish (special order only).
In 1992, the Marquee was renumbered the EA36 (previously EA46), flamed maple top/back/sides were changed to birdseye maple, the sound channels were narrowed and more were added to bring the total to 9 from 6, and Tobacco Sunburst was disc. and Vintage Sunburst was introduced. In 1994, Vintage Sunburst was disc. In 1996, Marquee was dropped from the model name, and Equis Gold electronics replaced Equis II.

So, based on the number of sound channels and Equis Gold it seems to have a manufacturing date of after 1996.  The serial number would indicate 1998, even though the blue book indicates manufacturing ended in '97.  Very cool guitar regardless.

Offline ChrisTide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
Ok, I can live with that! :)
All I wanted, was an inexpensive Ac/El that played really well.
This one is all that, and more!
I've owned the EA20B, the RR150 (black too…the electronics were NOT very good in it).
And in 2002 I bought a EA18TBS which had big setup/playability issues too, in the beginning. I really loved the Bband system, but it eventually crashed.
At the time, I had no money to fix it, so it went to the pawnshop…and never came back :(.

I think the festival is my all-time favorite series of guitars….just try to stay away from the lower numbers.

Thank you guys so much for chiming in!

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »
Hi Chris,

Sorry to make it confusing for you...  Unfortunately Washburn during that era had a tendency to reuse and rename products from the same line or even in different product lines.

1990 Washburn Festival EA20 was also referred to as Newport.
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
Bantam 96 XB400 Bttrsctch, 98 XB500 Bk, 94 XB600 BkFlam
Maverick  98 BTM MR/MB, 97 BT3 Rd, BT-4 Tobacobrst, 97 BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Idol 05 WI36 Bk, 05 WI64 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na
Wing 84 T-bird Tobacobrst

ship of fools

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »
Sorry to pipe in but its actually an 1986 model the Equis Gold was switched to a Equis 2 in 92 and as you can see from the pics which electronics are there now and from what I understand these were pretty rare coloured like that it that time period.Nice looking instrument.ship

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 10:19:24 PM »
Thanks, I am not all that great with words.   This I agree with.   {"a well made laminate acoustic guitar will always be better than a poorly made solid wood acoustic."}    Tom.  :)  :)   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:29:56 PM by t.y. »

Offline ChrisTide

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
I had a EA20 with an Equis II in the early 90's. The Gold was definitely not a predecessor to it, but an evolution…a step up.
It is much better and more sophisticated. Inside, it says EA36. If it was an earlier model, it would have been called Marquee or EA46.
AND…it would only have six sound channels. Mine definitely has nine! :)

Or…am I totally wrong and missing something here?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:10:37 PM by ChrisTide »

Offline ChrisTide

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 07:54:02 AM »
AHA! My daughter said it was an "S"…and we didn't believe her…

VERY good information everybody, I REALLY appreciate it!
Much less confused now :)

BTW, this guitar SMOKES when played through my Bose system!

ship of fools

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 11:00:58 AM »
Yep I did get that mixed up ( not my first miss ) should have checked the catalogue it does show as the Equis Gold pre amp and it makes sense that it has a S for Samick in front of the serial number and thanks Jim I will update that info in my book. But none the less a very nice rare guitar.  I wonder does the birds eye maple top show through more can't see it from the pictures.ship

Offline ChrisTide

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »
ship, no it's just turquoise sparkle. Which is fine with me…I'm not a big fan of birds eye maple. I know, just shoot me! :)

Anyway…I'm going to see if I can come up with a nice design for a pearloid pick guard. And possibly change the tuners to pearloid, too!

OK, keep collecting those coins!