Username: Password:

Author Topic: some banjo advice? (pic heavy)  (Read 2242 times)

Offline bigneil

• View Profile
some banjo advice? (pic heavy)
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:18:12 AM »
Hello everybody, I'm a new member here.

Hello from Bonny Scotland.

I have an old B9 Banjo that is probably needing some TLC to get it playing and sounding a bit better.

I know that in terms of quality it is nothing special, and is generally considered to be a starter or beginners banjo by most. However, it's fairly old by my standards (I reckon about 25 years old) and belonged to my Uncle who gave it to me around 8 or 9 years ago, It plays fine and has sentimental value.

here are some pics.

Now here are my Niggles (bear with me, I don't rally know much about banjo's)
1) The 5th tuning peg is terrible,  it's hard to tune and impossible to keep there. I would like to either improve it's performance, or replace it with a better one. what would be a good choice?
2) the skin is loose, I have tightened the ring up a little, but it has bottomed out on the strap buttons before reaching an acceptable tension. I'm thinking that it must be either just stretched out, or maybe the head that is fitted has too deep a lip on it or something.   Either way, I have decided to replace the head. What would be a suitable replacement? 

also,  any advice on banjos in general would be welcome.

I am competent with most guitar repairs and setup, and feel confident about attempting  these repairs/improvements to my banjo myself and am open to any suggestions for any other straight forward improvements that you guys might recommend for this particular model of banjo. 

Thanks for reading
Neil
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:24:39 AM by bigneil »

Offline bigneil

• View Profile
Re: some banjo advice? (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 02:59:38 AM »
Thank you for all your great advice.
This is truly a welcoming forum, full of helpful and friendly people.

ship of fools

Re: some banjo advice? (pic heavy)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:25:14 AM »
Hey bigneil I don't think there are a lot of banjo players left around here there were very few a ways back so its kind of dead at this section, but a suggestion would be to get a hold of a Washburn customer service rep and ask them about what you need, I can tell you that your banjo was made in 1990 and thats about all. I use to play some banjo in my youth but can't really tell you how and why they work like they do, sorry.ship