Username: Password:

Author Topic: EA10 Equis  (Read 3323 times)

Offline fat beagle

• View Profile
EA10 Equis
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »
Hi guys. My pre amp went bandy. Cutting out on 1 and 2 strings. Cleaned it, checked it, finally bust it trying to dismantle the slider for the treble. I hear Equis don't make these anymore so need to buy a replacement, happy with what I had but would upgrade cheerfully. My guitar is about 20 years old, been in store a while so I reckon that wasn't best for the electric bits, but I am really into playing it now. Need to get something with a bit of urgency as am using this guitar over all others at the moments for gigging. Having got really into the acoustic sound, have spent money on a good p.a., now a bit knackered. Can mic it up but I like the equaliser. Any reccos, can I buy from Washburn? Appreciate any help.
Best wishes
Mike

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: EA10 Equis
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:58:46 PM »
You are going to have to buy new as Equis is long gone.  You might find an old unit on E-Bay that will fit, but it's a long shot at best.  I believe both Fishman and B-Band have something that will drop into the hole w/o to much of a modification.  Easiest thing to do will be to replace the whole system, transducer, E.Q, the works.  On the good news front, all the newer systems are much better than the old Equis.

Offline fat beagle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »
Thanks for the pointer, I think I thought that would be the way. There are some equis on e bay but zooming in they look frankly mouldy and though cheap, maybe they will be no better than the one I broke. I have bought Fishman prefix plus t for about 150 quid, think it was 230 usd from a Hong Kong source 98% new. Always think of Homer Simpsons favourite beer, semi imported, with stuff like that. I think its a good buy and I read good things about it. Had no idea these things were so dear now. Anyway, it looks like it will fit more or less and I can make it good myself if not. Looking forward to hearing where the money is going. Once again, thanks.
Best wishes
Mike

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:11:40 PM »
hello fat beagle,

were you able to find a replacement preamp for your Washburn Festival guitar?
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
Bantam 96 XB400 Bttrsctch, 98 XB500 Bk, 94 XB600 BkFlam
Maverick  98 BTM MR/MB, 97 BT3 Rd, BT-4 Tobacobrst, 97 BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Idol 05 WI36 Bk, 05 WI64 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na
Wing 84 T-bird Tobacobrst

Offline fat beagle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 01:55:59 AM »
Hi. Yes thanks. Just arrived from Hong Kong. Its a Fishman Prefix Plus T which I got for about 200usd, second hand, hardly  used, they say it was discarded after an upgrade to a Gibson or Martin, I forget which. The preamp assy lines up well, just had to file a couple of mm off the end of the cut out where Washburn left a couple of little scallops of body which were catching the battery holder and body on flip over. Very very easy mod. The pick up wires to the preamp are held by a nasty arrangement of two terminals, tiny screws, clamping the two wires. I am going to have to solder the ends of the wires to  get them to slot in. Not too hard but it could have been so much easier. Access is awful. The jack is bigger than the original but no problem drilling that
out a bit. Bad news is I did not realise how fragile the pick was and how important it is that is flat to the bridge and saddle and having fitted it I turned the guitar over, it dropped out and got distorted. No sharp bends but I don't know if anything inside will be damaged. I am going to see if I can pick up a new pick up today but don't know whether this bit of the set is where the quality is or not. I can only wait and see. Also, new pick up is a mm or so slimmer than the old so bridge will need shimming or new one fitting. Will get back to you. The Prefix is the wide one and I cant imagine an easier fit to the Washburn.

Offline fat beagle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 03:21:36 PM »
Got it all up and running, drilled jack hole easy, all soldered, used a couple of flat tooth picks to shim the bridge. REad a good article said this material if hard will make it bright, if soft will make it mellow, but there are loads of variables so who knows just what you will get. The distorted pick up may be a prob. Tried it first with just the D string and the volume was on and off, up and down. Strung it fully and no better so gave the bridge a light to medium thwack and it burst into life. No probs since but will seek a new pick up as it cant be right. BUT WHAT A SOUND!!!! I cant say how much better it may be than other modern pick ups but it has a brilliant sound and its very adjustable. I haven't tried it all yet but I am delighted. Compared to the Equis its a guitar of ten times its own cost. I am over the moon, who knows it may even make me sound good. Many thanks on this one, its a complete success.
Best wishes
Mike

Offline psp742

• View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:35:37 AM »
cograts Mike on your successful acoustic preamp upgrade...  So far my Festival EA20B Equis II (EQ300) is working well, its no frills (vol, treb, mid, bass) but she gets it done.

I dont know how much the Fishman preamp is worth, I dont know if $200 is a deal or not. important thing is she works beautifully now.

can you post pictures.  just want to see how you did it.  thanks Mike.

Ric.,
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na

Offline fat beagle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 03:15:22 PM »
Will do my best to do that. I am going to try to find a new bridge so I can remove the shims from under the pick up. Soon as I do that I will post pics if I have the brain to upload.
Best wishes
Mike

Offline psp742

• View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 07:04:26 AM »
thanks, I didn't know there are shims under the bridge, I have only bought 1 only acoustic electric...  I change the bridge pins, nut, and tuners to Grover 18:1 black and put on new strings..  also made some custom sweatguard and pickguard with clear pickguard material (bought on ebay).
hoping you find the bridge and parts you need.  :)
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na