Username: Password:

Author Topic: G.C. Visit  (Read 1478 times)

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
G.C. Visit
« on: September 14, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »
I stopped by the local GC today.  In the acoustic room was a new Gibby J35.  Tried one of these about 6 months ago in Florida and fell in love.  Came very close to buying it.  Tried another one several months later and the guitar did not strike my fancy at all.  Seemed rather lifeless.  I was curious about his third J35 and was stunned how bad it was.  The neck was seriously under set and slightly twisted.  The saddle had been shaved down and was so low there was no break angle on the low E.  The string could be easily lifted off the saddle.  All you got was a muffled thump when you hit it.  The guitar was totally dead sounding and the action was still rather high.  All in all a mess.  I pointed this out to the sales person, who took it to the "tech".  He returned a few seconds later with the report the tech says the guitar is 100% fine.  Yikes. ??? ??? ???

Gibby has always had a reputation for inconsistency.  Seems like that still holds true.  What this says about GC is another matter.  :(  :(  :(

Offline ship of fools

• View Profile
Re: G.C. Visit
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »
Typical for GC because of their return policy they take guitars back and put them right back out into the sales room, could be why the saddle is so low. Sometimes you find a real gem with them and sometimes you just get lemonaide. I know a few J35's I have tried have been semi consistent in the builds and sound.ship
Retired Musician, Numismatic,
Retired and living the good life

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: G.C. Visit
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »
My local guitar store had a LP faded series, it was a piece of crap.  You could feel and see were the fret board joined the neck. And it was lighter than a LP should be. I asked if it could be a fake , and they said no it was a "Friday afternoon guitar".   There like 800.00 new. They are hollow chambered.  I have seen and played some LP's I would just loved to have owned, but not this one. All brands have one of these now and then.  Tom.  :)