Username: Password:

Author Topic: D10-I Any Information  (Read 7889 times)

Offline TheMSDR

• View Profile
D10-I Any Information
« on: September 22, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »
I have a D10-I serial number 97125846 (no letters in the serial number) that a friend bought in 1998 and I bought from him about a year latter. I have scoured the internet and this forum (even posted this question here about 3 years ago and got no responses) and haven't come up with much. I think the 97 at the beginning of the serial number means it was built in 1997 (sounds about right if purchased new in 1998), but that's all i have been able to figure out. There are tons of posts about the various other models but no one seems to say anything about the D10-I!!! From owning and playing it for 14 years I can make an educated guess as to some of its features: solid spruce/pine top?, solid mahogany sides and back? Some features are obvious: classic dreadnought shape, no electronics.

I love this guitar. It sounds brighter, fuller and projects much better than my dads Martin (thought the Martins tone and action are much nicer). I don't think my friend payed a whole lot for this guitar seeing as he sold it to me with a nice hard case for $100. I would be surprised if it were a special edition or limited release, but then again I just don't know...

PLEASE HELP ME END MY LONG LASTING SEARCH!

:) ;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:10:38 PM by TheMSDR »

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: D10-I Any Information
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 07:32:14 PM »
The D10 series has several permutations.  None of the various flavours are all solid wood.  If it was a "D10S" it would have a solid wood top (spruce) with laminate back and sides.  Without the S suffix the guitar is a all laminate.  That is what you have.

The serial number does indicate the guitar was built in 1997.  Someone else may come along with a clue as to the significance of the "I".  But whatever it means, the guitar is a nice entry level guitar.  Worth about $75-100.

D10
- dreadnought style, select spruce top, round soundhole, black pickguard, three-stripe bound body and rosette, mahogany back/sides/neck, 14/20-fret rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlay, rosewood bridge with pearl dot black pins, three-per-side chrome Grover tuners, available in Black, Blueburst, Natural, Trans. Red, or Sunburst finish, mfg. 1990-2000.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
$245 $125 - 175 $75 - 100
Last MSR was $350.

D10 M
- similar to D10, except has mahogany top, available in Caribbean Blue, Mahogany, Trans. Blue, or Trans. Wine Red finishes, mfg. 1998-2000.
$230 $150 - 190 $80 - 100
Last MSR was $329.

D10 Q
- similar to D10, except has a quilted maple top, available in Sunburst finish, mfg. 1997-present.
MSR $400 $280 $175 - 225 $100 – 130

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:52:10 PM »
Hey I should of read this post first.   :)  :)    Tom. 

Offline TheMSDR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »
The D10 series has several permutations.  None of the various flavours are all solid wood.  If it was a "D10S" it would have a solid wood top (spruce) with laminate back and sides.  Without the S suffix the guitar is a all laminate.  That is what you have.

Easy tiger it was just a guess, I'm no expert and I believe you  :)

Thanks much for the info. I've been assuming it's just a small variation on the classic D10. However I'd really like to know what the "I" stands for as it has been a splinter in the back of my mind for over a decade   ???

Offline TheMSDR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »
Hey I should of read this post first.   :)  :)    Tom.

I saw your other two replies in the other thread. I really appreciate it, very informative. However just as with evenkeels response yours does not answer the main question that has been bugging me:

What does the frickin "I" stand for???
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:16:04 PM by TheMSDR »

Offline TheMSDR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »
Here are Tom's replies from the other thread incase anyone is interested.  :)

That is a 1997 D10 all laminated Dread, guitar.  97 should be made in Korea. Does it have Grover brand tuners, if so than it is Korea.  Don't know for sure what the I stands for, if it was before the numbers it would be Indo.  I have , and have had,  some of the best D10 series made, and no solid back or sides. IMHO & lots of others, the D10 series is the best sounding and playing mid level guitar around.  Tom. :)

Go here look under { about }   then { History} than 1997.   http://www.washburn.com/about/

Thanks again Tom!

Doesn't ANYBODY know what the "I" stands for?  ...anyone?   ...Bueller?

Moderators please feel free to chime in!  :D

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 11:20:10 PM »
Unless someone comes along that happens to have that in a book, you may never find that answer.   I get lots of my book info from guys like evenkeel and a few others.  If A Washburn employee don't know?   On the 97 web page there is no I.   It could be a big box store special, or a misprint.  Have you contacted Washburn C.S.?   Sorry,  but you might be wondering on this a while.  Tom :)

Offline austin59

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 05:28:18 AM »
Hi, I also have a D10 i and its also of interest to me what the i stands for. The serial number is 97123667.

I originally got a budget Fender as I was a new learner. Fender warped in Washington state so when returned to England the Music store took it for 'repair' and leant me the Washburn.  ended up doing a swap deal ...brilliant

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »
Is it natural finish or finished in a color?

Often times Washburn will include in the model number a letter to indicate the color...I could be indigo or some other color designation.  Other than that, I'm with Keel....if it was a special run for some big-box retailer, we may never know as those items are not usually included in the production info for Washburn.

Hope you find out!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 12:53:36 PM »
To me this looks like regular Mahogany.    Tom.   :)      Sure wish someone new.    :)     http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafferditus/9885652114/

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 09:55:04 PM »
Right, Tom.

At first I thought the I might stand for Indian Rosewood...but that is clearly not rosewood.

The mystery deepens...

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 02:03:32 AM »
Does any one know what the real name of Sapel  <?  is?    Does it start with I?  Tom.. :)

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 06:33:09 AM »
Sapele is in the mahogany family...not sure of the botanical!!

name if that is what you are asking, but Washburn uses common names for woods...like your D10SW where the W stands for walnut.

Cheers!!

Dugly 8)

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
    • REO Shitwagon, Uncooperatives, Voodoo Sun
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 08:37:03 AM »

The only "I" wood I can see it potentially being is Iroko -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Iroko_wood.jpg (mind you that's pretty exotic wood)

This is all meaningless conjecture though, my guess is it was probably (as someone mentioned earlier) a big box special... are the two people with the same model number from the same geographical location?

and if so, do they remember where they purchased the guitar?

I can call my buddy who works at a local shop, they deal with Washburn and have a database of all models including specials that where sold at their chain. If he finds anything I'll post in here.
Dean Dime Razorback (V255)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn KC-70, KC90, KC-Prototype (mystery git)
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums