Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn J600  (Read 13864 times)

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
Washburn J600
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »
Hi Folks,
New member here.
I currently have a quite worn HB15 and very happy with it.
I am on the edge about to order one of the new (I guess new?) J600 models.
I used the search area to glean any information good or bad about the guitar but nothing turned up.
Does anyone here own one yet and have any opinon about it?

Whie I am at it could I ask what strings players are using and happy with them? I am thinking of putting on a set of flats but would like to here from users if there are any here.
Thanks for having me here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:13:30 PM by barricwiley »

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
Re: Washburn J600
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:01:17 PM »
Well, Today I went to the local GC, paid for, and ordered my new J600.
There does not seem to be much interest here on the Washburn Forum  about the J600 so prpbably not much use in  giving my thoughts on it after I get it. The guitar is due in 4 to 6 day from now but as is normal take a little longer. I am pretty excited about having it in my hands and giving her a go. Sure hope it is as sweet as it seems to be.
Adios Amgos, been nice.

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:58:42 PM »
I hope that I am not stepping out of line here, but; I felt compelled to reply.....please don't feel that you where being ignored concerning your questions about your new J600. It could be that the members that have experience with this guitar has not yet stopped by the forum and seen your post, while others just don't have any background dealing with this instrument. I have no experience with this instrument but, believe it to be a fine instrument, judging from the reviews I've read (the body shape reminds me of the old Gibson L5s, always wanted one back in the day, but with college, marriage, and kids, I could never afford one, was able to buy a Gibson L6s Custom though, still have it, still love it.) You're lucky to have that new J600 on the way, and I for one and I am sure others at this forum would love to hear your thoughts once you're had a chance to put it thought it's paces, and please some photos if you can.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:00:12 AM by Sextant1951 »

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:38:45 PM »
Well, then, I thank you Sextant1951. I guess I am just used to the participation in the Les Paul Forum. I got an email today that it has been shipped. I am having it sent to the store so if there are any problems it will be bared for all.
I will indeed give my opinion first hand with the J600 and am pretty excited about seeing it .
Thanks again for your input and sage advice.
Richard

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:32:39 PM »
You're most welcome..... we help and learn... from each other. From your hands on review, I'm sure you will be helping others, on down the line.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:44:54 PM »
It is getting winter time, this place will pick up again.   At least I hope.  :)   Tom.  :)

Offline bloozeguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
I fear we must admit that the action isn't always hot and heavy on the hollowbody/jazzbox page.  I've posted looking for information on the HB17 and have had no reply, though it's come up elsewhere, and that's fine.  The one I had my eyes on is probably gone now--my money suddenly had to go elsewhere, just when I was ready to pull the trigger, too.
I'd be really interested in what you have to say about the J600.  I also wonder if you may have checked out the Dean Palomino series in your guitar search, and how it may have stacked up against the Washburns.   A local indy store in my area has a couple--one is the model much like the J600 (big bod, single floating minibucker). 

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »
Hmmmm,
Thanks for the reply and thoughts  bloozguy.
Actually I have never heard of that type of model from Dean, but, I will be lookng for it tonight and thanks for the heads up.
I am probably heading out to Guitar Center Monday afternoon. The y have a $100 off coupon for items over $499 so I want to make sure to get it taken off the price of the J600. Sorry to hear you couln't pick up the HB17, it looks like a sweet guitar.
My guitar should be in this next week as they sent me an email saying it hasbeen shipped.
I will post when I have it.

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »
Well I picked up the J600 today thank you very much. I think it is a real beauty and love it.
At lest 4 of the guys working at GC were loving what they saw and begged to play it a bit.
 I have ordered a couple of sets of DR Pure Blues in 11's, and a couple sets of DR Flatwounds in 11's.
I took a few pictures to share but have not yet figured out how to post pics. I clicked on the 'insert image' button but it just keeps placing IMG IMG in the posting area.
Anyone help with this?
Thanks so much.
I paper cut my silly inex finger tip this afternoon and left blood on the strings and fretboard, so, can't play it for a couple days to see how I like it.

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:19:29 PM by barricwiley »

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 07:24:50 AM »
That's a fine looking axe, barricwiley...you should be proud, which I'm sure you are. Love that head stock design, wish my HB35 carried it. As far as I know only the HB36, J600, and the J7V, carry that design? Know almost nothing about " jazz boxes" thought I would ask, I noticed in your first image a space between the pick guard and the floating pickup, showing wires/electronics? Is this common for this type of guitar...meaning floating pickups abreast pick guard have open spaces?  Also the guitar's finish...does it carry the same finish as the Washburn vintage guitars? From your images, thought I saw some nicks and dings...put on  purposely by the factory? Lastly, don't know if you've had time to flax out on her, but; how does she play?

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
Thanks for the kind words sextant.
I cut the tip of my left ring finger the eve I brought the guitar home so can't comment on the palying experience yet. Still very tender today.
I am prett unhappy just looking at my new Gem.
      Tell you the truth I really don't know the difference between this hollowbody gutar and say the HB15.
I own an HB15 full, no cutaway, and figure out why one is a Jazz and the other a hollowbody.

The HB15 is the reason I fell over myself when I saw the J600. I know they have been out for a year or more but I never saw them. I bought the HB15 from a fellow out in Montana through the Mandolin Cafe classifieds.
Yes the "nicks and bruises you see in the picture are because the guitar is "distressed" which I LOVE  because they did a terrific job with it. Even the all the hardware is distressed, old looking, brass - really can't say enough about the guitar so far.

I have a couple sets of DR pure Blues and Flats in 11's on the way and plan to try them out. I am sure the strings on the guitar are light ones. I have also read on a few reviews , youtube as well, that the finish on the back of the neck is kind of roughly done and the frets need smoothing out. Well, Washburn must have listened because I have found none of those issues - everything is top notch, even the action is great for me right out of the box.
          The  pickup is floating and is connected to the pickguard - how is that for a difference? The pickup on my HB15 id connected to the base area of the neck and is also floating. Because of where it is connected, the wires run just under the pickup and drop down through a tiny hole into the body of the guitar. The HB15 runs the wires the same way basically down a tiny hole into the cavity of the body.
     You are correct about the headstock design - just the guitars you mentioned have that look.
           As I understand it, Washburn wanted the J600 to look like a family heirloom right out of the box, and I think it does.
When my silly finger heals I will be happy to comment on the playability and sound.

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 04:24:19 AM »
I know that you're eager to play her, hope your finger heals quickly. I see what you're saying about the lack of difference between the HB15 and the J600 at first sight, but; I'm thinking, because the HB15 is made with a maple block in the center Washburn is not calling it a full Jazz guitar, while the J600 is not made with that block, fully hollow, they are. Read that you was sure as to what gauge strings your J600 is strung with. (light ones)  For a while now I've been using this tool to tell me just what gauge strings are strung on any new guitar that I buy (a digital caliper). I always check with the CS department, as to what brand and gauge string the guitar is originally strung with at the factory. I'm kind of anal about that since I never stray to much from the string gauge the guitar was meant to receive. Maybe one gauge up on a guitar that sports a trapeze tail , but almost never on a guitar with a stop tail. You probably already know about this tool, it does help you to determine what gauge string any guitar, new or used is strung with and it's also good for taking other measurements on your guitar/guitars. I get true readings when I check the string section between the bridge and the tail. Lay a wash rag or some other material under that section before taking measurements, the jaws of the caliper are sharp and will mar your finish, if you're not careful.  StewMac's version seems to be somewhat overpriced, but I've seen them at amazon.com for much less. And I've seen the non-digital versions at Ace Hardware for even less. Question about the the pickup and pickguard being connected on the J600...if you chose to swap out the pickup in the future, would that not cause somewhat of an headache since the pickup and pickguard are connected? I mean it seems that you would have remove the whole apparatus just to do so.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Calipers/Luthiers_Digital_Caliper.html?&offset=0&read=reviews#reviews
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:13:08 AM by Sextant1951 »

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
HI sextant.
You sound like a techy kind, I like that since I have much to learn.
I looked for the maple block you mentioned for the HB15 and what I found (with a mirror) is only 2 wooden bars ( top braces ) approx 1"x 1/4" running the long length of the guitars top.
1 Bar is not even touching the top most of the length, in fact it is about a 1/2" away from the top - it might have come loose and should not have.
The 2nd bar is glued along the top just fine. The bars are space equally across the tops width running lengthwise.
I saw no other piece of wood.

The J600 has a piece of wood that is under the bridge and is approx 1 1/2" x 1" and is standing straight up from bottom to top ( a post support ) with an equal sized piece of wood laying flat ways between it and the top to brace it.
No other piece of wood to be seen.
I can say for sure that the HB15 has a small curvature on the top and bottom. T
he J600 has a definite arched top and bottom - much more pronounced.
The J600 is also a larger guitar:

J600 body length - 21 1/2"
HB15 body length - 20 1/2"
J600 body Width at widest point - 16 5/8"
HB15 "       "       "     "        "     - 16"
J600 Width at widest point - 3 5/8"
HB15   "      "     "       "     - 2 7/8"

I actually do have a digital caliper as in the link. The heavy E string is a 9 and the HB has 11's on it.
Washburn's site lists all electrics come with 9's ( D'Addarios )
I have googled my keester off and it appears to me that 11's would be fine on the guitars (both) and give the best tone for most folks.
So I think I will at least give them a go when they come in.

I do agree that if one wanted to replace the pickup it would indeed be a problem. I must say though I love the sound and playability of the HB15 even if the top brace came loose.
Finger feeling a little less sore today - hoping for the weekend to play some.

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »
Thanks for clearing up "my confusion" about the HB15 not having a solid block inside. My original confusion about that comes from these words posted under the image of the HB15 at the Washburn website......"Hollowbody guitars are typically lighter and more resonant than their solid body counter parts. This gives a somewhat mellower tone to the guitar making it well suited to Jazz, Blues or Rock. These double cutaway models include a "solid maple block in the center", increasing sustain and reducing susceptibility to feedback in high volume situations". By reading this under the image of the HB15 I thought that all guitars of the HB series carried the center block. Not so it seems, since I've also learned that the HB17 also "does not have a maple solid block inside"?, according to the words solid maple block being excluded in the description post beneath the image at the Washburn website. ( now I think I'm right about that, but; maybe not). Should have noticed that the words may have been out of place with the inclusion of the words "these double cutaway model"s, pertaining to the HB15. I think your choice of strings for your J600 is spot on, the 11s should work fine, should give you a great sound. The only guitar that I have that might even be considered as even being close to a jazz box would be a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe that I own. I will changing from 10s to 11s after a pro setup in the near future. Actually, I'm not much of a guitar tech guy, maybe know more than some, but; much less than others, I'm sure. Just love working on my own gear from time to time.