Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn J600  (Read 14267 times)

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
Re: Washburn J600
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
Hi Sextant,
Thanks for your input.
The HB15 I have I think is a 2010 model. I am guessing a bit based on the serial number and the way their site says to interput.
The newer models may well have a wood block that we expected to see - I have not yet seen a new one. The wording on the washburn site has me scratching my head as you do. What double cutaway? Hmmmmm.

I am going to see if I can google up a picture of the Hagstrom Viking Deluxe  you have to see what it looks like.

By the way, have you ever seen an Ibanez AFJ91?
I have not but have pics of it and it looks pretty darn good.
Comes in a Red finish?

On doing a little work on my guitars I have the Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine to help me screww things up.

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »
Like the satire you used in explaining your use of the Guitar Player Repair Guide. (explains me to a tee, well maybe not as bad as that) I have two of Dan Erlewine's books:  Guitar Player Repair Guide (third edition) and How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great! (second edition). In my IHO Dan Erlewine is a Guru when it comes to guitar maintenace, the man has been dropping great tips for a long time.  I also have a dvd titled Guitar Setup & Maintenance:  featuring Denny Rauen...covering both electric and acoustic guitar.  Great guitar maintenance tips in all, I think. Over the years I've collected a lot of guitar maintenance tips from different sources and created my own three ring binder chock full of info that I refer to from time to time. I also visit these sites on a regular basis, Billy Penns 300Guitars.com and Frets.com. I find the info there is presented in a straight forward manner, I hate sites that present info in beating around the bush presentations, damn annoying when you're trying to get something done. Even with all this info in hand I must admit I still stink at guitar repair and maintenance at times. I have no experience with the Ibanez AFJ91, gave it a good look at Sweetwater looks to be a fine instrument. From what I seen and read...don't like it as much as the J600, but mind you I never picked one up. Never picked up a J600 either, but; I like what I see. The color reminds me of a color that a Gibson Les Paul Studio (model faded red?) used to sport, if it still doesn't. looked good on that guitar, but on the AFJ91...meh, I'm thinking not so much. My opinion only. As I remember US Music (Washburn's parent company?) had something to do with the reissue of Hagstrom Guitars. I also remember reading that they also parent the Jay Turser, Oscar Schmidt, Parker, line of guitars, as well as Marshall Amplification and Warwick basses. So I'm thinking maybe the Hags being made today (in China) does not stray that far from the Washburn touch. A lot of the images online of the Hagstrom Viking Deluxe (Natural) which I have, a lot of times present this guitar with a mustard/yellow like finish. Not so...it has a palomino horse like color/finish that is nothing short of exquisite. IMO it's a handsome guitar (instead of beautiful...you know, that kind of Mariel Hemingway kind of handsome) that plays as good as it looks. It came to me in a kind of round about way...would not have "directly" bought one on my own, not a big fan owning guitars that sport trapeze tails, but this guitar is a definite keeper.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:19:39 AM by Sextant1951 »

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »
Yeah, I know enough to be dangerous.
My flatwounds and pure nickles came in yesterday.
I am going to put on a set of the flatwound on the J600 this weekend and try them out.
I think my sorry finger will be ready to pick a little by then.
Having picked up the J600 I do need to admit I play NO Jazz - at all.
Never really cared for most I have heard, just a little once in whle will do nicely.

I checked out the Viking and it looks to be a real nice guitar, very glad you enjoy it. It is semi right?

You are right indeed - Hemmingway may be a little on the handsome side but certainly not pretty.

have to talk a little later - on the way to the fitness center with my honey.
Hope your day and the weekend are good for you and yours.
Richard
sextant - do you have one?

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 04:26:51 PM »
Actually I think Marial is quite pretty. In trying to describe the cosmetic attributes of my Hagstrom, I failed in capturing the full essence of what I was tyring to say.

More like this:

definition-

Handsome Woman:

"A woman with the kind of refined beauty and attractiveness that requires poise, dignity, and strength of mind and character, things that often come with age; not merely sex-appeal. Usually applied to a woman who is also very well-groomed and from an upper class background.

This phrase is very dated and rarely used in today's English. Those who may not understand the term could almost be insulted by the word "handsome" being applied to a woman, mistakenly thinking you're saying she is masculine."

That's more of what I wanted understood  when I used the terms, a handsome guitar....that kind of Marial Hemingway handsome. To me the guitar just has that look and feel. Yes the Hagstrom Viking Deluxe is a semi.

I'm a big Jazz fan, also a fan of Blues and Jazz/Blues Fusion. That being said, I'm even a bigger fan of Jazz and Blues guitarists.

sextant-do you have one?

If you speaking of the nautical instrument, yes, an old one, given to me as a present by fellow shipmates on my retirement from the Navy. Mostly love anything nautical.

Have a great weekend, and if you're able to play, play the heck out of that new axe!

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »
Sorry, hoped not to offend. Just that Hemmingwas and Mia Farrow (spelled right) are just not my cup tea. But, on the positive side I DO think the Viking is a real gem, just doesn't remind me of anyone.
I wished I could like jazz more that the casual occasional listen I do. I think it would broaden my musical knowledge a whole lot and that would be a good thing.
I spent 10 years in the old USN (enlisted Boilerman) and never had a sextant in my hand.
I would see a picture of one once in a while and kinda wished I had one and more importantly, know how to use it.
Weekend is so far going okay but not getting some things done as I wanted to.
My 102 year old FIL lives with us (11 years now) and he is all consuming most of the time.
Hope your weekend is going well.

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »
No offense taken. I don't have any special hots for Hemingway either..not bad looking though..IMO. Funny how this discussion started off talking about guitars, and drifted of into the discussion of women. Ah... "Men"....what a piece of work we are. We do at times tend to anthropomorphize things/objects that we love. We at times tend to do so even without being fully aware that we're doing it. For years the word "she" has been used as a form of endearment by many when speaking of, cars, ships, boats, planes, guitars, etc. Or we at times give them female names, case in point, B.B. King's well known guitar "Lucille." I guess that's where I was coming from when I originally talked about the looks of my Viking Deluxe. Might have been a tad bit florid in my explanation, a personal thing I suppose. Hard sometimes to get your exact thoughts understood, by the use of the web. I'm old Navy also. I was taught how to use a Sextant years ago by a Navy Signalman (Chief Petty Officer). Today, I believe that rate is phased out and the sailors of that rating has been retrained into other ratings. Sextants are one of those instruments that has the look of being more difficult to use than it really is. Not that hard to use really, unless of course you're on a vessel out at sea that's pitching and rolling, takes practice and patience to get a sight quickly and accurately when that's happening. BTW, thank you for your service, I mean that sincerely. Don't know how deep your liking for jazz guitars go, but; give a look at the Hagstrom HJ-500.. maybe not in the same league as the Ibanez George Benson or Pat Metheny models, but a decent axe all the same. Wow, 102 years old, (reaching that age is quite an accomplishment in itself) taking care of an elderly relative can be trying at times, I know..I've been there... hang in there shipmate, by being there, giving him the care that he needs, you and your wife are doing such a great thing, IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:32:28 AM by Sextant1951 »

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
Good, hank you.
I can't deny I am guilty of doing the same thing in calling some belongings she or her this and that.
Can't say I ever imagined a face or person to go along with it.
I think women kinda like men doing that sort of thing and come to expect it and not think much of it.
And you're right it usually is meant in an endearment way.
They must have objected of course to storms cause it sure got changed. (heh)

I did google the Hagstrom HJ-500 and it looks pretty sweet.
At this time of my goings on I am really liking the sound of a single pickup like the mini humbuckers being placed on a few guitars .
Love the simplicity of one vol and one tone knob. The very used HB15 I have only has a vol knob. The guy that I bought it from said he didn't need it so removed it and wired up for the Vol only setup. Now that I have been pokng away on it for a couple months I can't say he was wrong - works just fine. I stuck a couple round stickes over the holes left.

And my thank you for your service goes right back to you, and thanks for thinking about it.
I am a Nam Vet and we all know how that went over.

Thanks also for the kind words for my wife and I taking care of the old one - maybe that is partly why he is still here.
He thinks for sure he would have died some time ago if he where in a  nursing home - who knows, maybe.

Do you have any other guitars you pick around on?

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 01:59:27 AM »
Yes...more than a couple.

3 Washburns

4 Maldens (decent, well made guitars, but; not well known)

2 Gibsons

1 Fender (acoustic)

And of course the Hag.

I try not to let any of these guitars sit idle for to long, I make sure all of them are played quite often.

I have another Washburn on order, should be receiving it, hopefully within the next two weeks. Interesting that you like playing your HB15 without a functioning tone knob, I'm guessing you're pulling all the tone you need from your amp? Will you be nullifying the tone knob feature on your new J600?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:23:28 AM by Sextant1951 »

Offline barricwiley

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »
Hey now - That is a nice grouping of guitars.
I have about the same except mor acoustics - I guess really my 'go to' guitars. I think I am not so quick to grab an electric becaus someone upstars might hear me. I just got a decent pair of headphones and think I will give that a try.
4 acoustics
3 Gibson Les Pauls
1 fender MIM Tele
1 Gretsch 5120
HB15
J600
And a couple of basses.

I just love the HB15 the way it is and just have knobs on the amp about half way turned.

No, I have no intention of changing anything on the J600. I can't imagine what could possibly improve it for my use. A work of art.
But then, aren't they all functioning works of art for us?

Soooo what model Washburn have you ordered if I may ask?
Looking forward to looking it up.
Best to you and have a great day!

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 03:23:57 AM »
Thanks. Your list of gear seems very nice also. I use my headphones quite often for late night practice, a closed back monitor pair, read some time ago that, that kind was best for practice due to the fact that they pick up all the highs, mids, and lows that the amp has to offer. After some consideration I decided to purchase a Washburn R320SWR parlor guitar. Had some reservations about owning a solid wood guitar, but; I've gotten past that and now glad that I've made the purchase. I have a dread ( an old Fender Sonoran SCE, Black, love the neck on this guitar, plays well, and cosmetic wise, looks just great. Would have never bought this kind of guitar, on my own, (it's another guitar that made it's way into the stable in a round about way) which at my age seems to be a little large to handle at times, wanted something smaller. Although I have a Washburn Rover R010 (which is great to grab at anytime for a quick strum or practice) it doesn't give me near the sound/tone, that I'm looking for from a small acoustic. Looked at a lot of parlor sized gits offered today and settled on the R320SWR.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:45:21 AM by Sextant1951 »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 04:05:22 AM »
I have a black Sonoran SCE. second gen, love the look of the white pearl binding and pick guard .  Also like the soft C neck.  And the Fishman.  I put it in one of my Washburn  Dread Deluxe cases.  Tom.  :)

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 06:53:14 AM »
I think I have the same type model you have Tom, sans the upgrades that Fender recently made to the pickguard, nut, bridge, and saddle. I to like the look of the binding and pickguard, love the strat head stock. IMO, it's a very handsome guitar, Whoops.......there I go again! (smiles). Bought a Silver Creek Dreadnought hardcase for her a couple of years ago, fits perfectly.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »
 Yep, same one.  Bone & three ply.   And Fishman.  I hate to say it, but I traded my O.S. Delta King for it, kept the Washburn case for it.  But I just can not stand the thought of parting with my three Washburn acoustic's, as the are very close to perfect.    Tom.  :)

Offline gadjo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
I'm onwner of a washburn J600, and my guitar has a very high action and it is very difficult and hard to play on it, getting a very dry sound, when tryng to low action adjusting the brigde down strings make noise on the frets, any help about that, thanks and greetings from a new member.

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 12:42:37 AM »
Welcome to the forum gadjo..I would suggest you find a good guitar tech/luthier in your area (if you have not already) and take it in for a pro setup.....doing that should make things right.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:29:51 AM by Sextant1951 »