Username: Password:

Author Topic: Looking for a little more information  (Read 2257 times)

Offline CoastDeCoste

• View Profile
Looking for a little more information
« on: October 30, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
Hey everyone, New to the forum and pumped to be part of the Washburn family! I just wanted to get some help on my most recent purchase.

I recently bought  a Washburn Augusta WF-16, the guy was selling it for 50 dollars and for some reason it just called to me.

It plays really well,  a solid harmonic tone, but i'm interested in finding out a little more about it. Can anyone help me figure out:

when the model fist came out?
original price?
Past experiences?
Pros/Cons i should be aware of?

Cheers and look forward to he feedback!
Smoke a doobie, brother, and Just listen to the Music.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a little more information
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »
How about posting some photos...don't recognize the model number.

Washburn sometimes puts a "W" in front of the rest of the model designation...for example, I have a WD32SW...the D stands for dreadnought.  I also have a D-61SW, which is a dreadnought. Perhaps yours is a folk guitar, WF for Folk?

Washburn had a previous line called the D-10 series, now they have a WD-10 series...no telling which way they will go.

Have you done a forum search?

At any rate, if it is a Washburn and you have the model right it might be a dreadnought (a fairly large guitar with squared off "shoulders", all laminate.  Pics might help a lot....photos of the guitar and the label inside the sound hole and perhaps a shot of the neck-block inside the guitar.  Don't forget the head and the rosette...sometimes the distinguishing feature between model numbers can be the number of rings in the rosette.

There are many more knowledgable members than me....perhaps Jim Smith, Jr will chime in. He has a huge collection of Washburns.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline CoastDeCoste

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 10:07:29 PM »
How about posting some photos...don't recognize the model number.

Washburn sometimes puts a "W" in front of the rest of the model designation...for example, I have a WD32SW...the D stands for dreadnought.  I also have a D-61SW, which is a dreadnought. Perhaps yours is a folk guitar, WF for Folk?

Washburn had a previous line called the D-10 series, now they have a WD-10 series...no telling which way they will go.

Have you done a forum search?

At any rate, if it is a Washburn and you have the model right it might be a dreadnought (a fairly large guitar with squared off "shoulders", all laminate.  Pics might help a lot....photos of the guitar and the label inside the sound hole and perhaps a shot of the neck-block inside the guitar.  Don't forget the head and the rosette...sometimes the distinguishing feature between model numbers can be the number of rings in the rosette.

There are many more knowledgable members than me....perhaps Jim Smith, Jr will chime in. He has a huge collection of Washburns.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

Smoke a doobie, brother, and Just listen to the Music.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
The links to your photos aren't building...probably the wrong photo "code"

Here is a tutorial from our General Discussion board that explains how to get the photos to appear in your posts:

http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,21807.0.html

The only way is to use a photo hosting website, as I understand it.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 11:57:07 AM »
Washburn acoustics began generally sporting the "W" prefix in 2011. Sometime 2016, this started shifting over to "H"; I'm guessing the "W" looked redundant, & the "H" was to split some models off into the "Heritage" lines. Anyway, that narrows your model down to 2011-2016 at the outside.

That "F" indicates a "folk"-type guitar, of course. I've never been totally comfortable with a folk-style neck, yet my former girlfriend was unhappy playing anything else. It suits a particular need.

Washburn has always had a habit of putting out short runs, sometimes for a particular retailer, so a given model may never be found in the annual company catalogue. Jim Smith Sr said it's not unusual for a model to not sell well, so the company decides not to order more built after the inventory is gone:
They will order 200 of a particular model ... and they’ll hold them at the warehouse until they are sold. And if they don’t sell, they don’t order them again, and that holds true for probably 60 percent of their product line since 1974.
So, there might be very little info to be had.

FWIW, $50 was probably a pretty good deal.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/